2003 Series Gets a New Region 1 DVD Collection

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

I know, right? Beggers can't be choosers. XD
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 8 years ago

Man, it's down to like $9.63 now...if I get five people saying I should nab it, I probably will. I've got a gob of USD right now.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 8 years ago

As I usually say, the only way you're not getting ripped off with the English dub version is if you're getting PAID to watch it.
I'm on Twitter.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:As I usually say, the only way you're not getting ripped off with the English dub version is if you're getting PAID to watch it.

That's being a bit cynical. I love the artwork in this series. I think Astro's rendition here is the cutest he's been shown in any of the anime's (OK not consistently, he's also shown in anger and in other moods, plus several artists had their hands doing the rendering I'm sure.) Several new characters were introduced that fit well into the canon (Reno for one).
There is enough to like here.

I think I'd recommend going for the original disk set though, not this new one. There were more extras on the original release, and it might be a better transfer with less compression being on 5 disks instead of 4.

Of course they may have done some clean up, assuming that the masters were on film and transferred to digital later. OTHO if this series was digitally produced from the start then I doubt anything was done other than to reprocess for disk. A BD set would have been nice (but if you do that Sony, restore it to full HD/16:9 please!).
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:That's being a bit cynical. I love the artwork in this series. I think Astro's rendition here is the cutest he's been shown in any of the anime's (OK not consistently, he's also shown in anger and in other moods, plus several artists had their hands doing the rendering I'm sure.) Several new characters were introduced that fit well into the canon (Reno for one).

Sure, the series itself is great, so just use the means we have to watch it subbed, even if the second half isn't subbed very well.
I'm on Twitter.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:[QUOTE=Tetsuwan Penguin;234530]That's being a bit cynical. I love the artwork in this series. I think Astro's rendition here is the cutest he's been shown in any of the anime's (OK not consistently, he's also shown in anger and in other moods, plus several artists had their hands doing the rendering I'm sure.) Several new characters were introduced that fit well into the canon (Reno for one).

Sure, the series itself is great, so just use the means we have to watch it subbed, even if the second half isn't subbed very well.[/QUOTE]

I meant that even flawed as it is, that DVD set was worth its modest price to me. However given a choice between this new one and the older ELV DVD release, I think the older one is what I would get if I were looking. (I own that one, and am satisfied with it for what it is.)
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

The only reason why I would buy it is if I did not have a copy of my own and was genuinely interested in the series and giving at least some support; otherwise I really do not see the point in getting this particular version.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Yeah, maybe I'll just compile all the episodes I like onto a homemade DVD and call it a day. I may not have a physical copy of the series yet, and the money wouldn't go to Sony, but $9 IS $9.

Unless this box set has higher resolution for the episodes than before. But with such a cheap price for it, I don't expect a grand remastering.
ImageImageImageImage

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Buying from this seller does support Sony. Much like any other store, buying from them directly affects them getting more stock from Sony or not (or from whatever distributor they use which in turn is going to get more from Sony).

Seeing as they were selling 4 brand new copies, I'm sure it's not just a normal person like you and me who bought 4 for his family and they all didn't want it.
I'm on Twitter.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Oh geez, I hadn't considered it like that. I've never removed something from my eBay watchlist so fast before.

"F-Man" wrote:Seeing as they were selling 4 brand new copies, I'm sure it's not just a normal person like you and me who bought 4 for his family and they all didn't want it.

I'm laughing at the mental image of some suburban 50s-style dad entering the house, going, "HEY KIDS! YOU LIKE ASTRO BOY?" and the rest of the family seeing him with four copies of the 2003 dub, and just vaporizing like they're in The Mummy.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”