Photar's Gender

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

Photar's Gender

Postby Photar » 9 years ago

I liked Fauna's suggestion of Photar being 'non-binary but coded as a male'. In other words there are no distinctly masculine or feminine aspects to him but for the sake of continuity (and the possible attitude that it would be politically incorrect to have a female robot get murdered by another) he's been made a 'he'.

I however believe that simply because he has eyelashes and face-paint, is compassionate and works with children (and where the HECK does this idea he's a cross-dresser come from - I think the poster of that abominable Wiki article has confused cross-dressing with androgynity) that doesn't imply he's possibly female - or even androgynous.

I think we all love a sympathetic character like Astro and Photar who beneath their warm and affectionate exteriors harbour real death-dealing potential........................and don't forget that Photar is voiced by a male actor (Bob Gonzalez) - and Astro a female one (Patty Whiteley).

She's still acting btw. Jay is also senidng me a cassette (I had to laugh because I forget that he's my father's age!) for me to play to my class saying: Mr D is an awesome techer and the biggest Astro-boy fan in Australia

Lol - You rock Jay
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Photar
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Photar » 9 years ago

An awesome techer who can't spell.

I can just imagine my class of grade sevens looking at the cassette and moving around it and prodding it (like the australopithecines at the start of 2001 a Space Odyssey)
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”