How did you find out about Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
YJ_Doodle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby YJ_Doodle » 8 years ago

I watched the 2009 movie too XD I know it's a mediocre movie overall, but I personally really enjoyed watching it and it was one of my favorites. Excluding the cheesy heroic moments, there were real meaningful ones too and I got hooked to those! Anyhow, while scavenging for music videos of the movie on Youtube, I kept discovering videos of the 2003 and 1980s anime, and I got curious. I watched the English dub for 2003, and loved it so much. I found this forum and just drifted around as an onlooker for months, listening to all the chats that you guys would share. Oh, THEN I discovered there was a reboot coming out, and I got super excited for it because it was the first Astro Boy series I could actually get to watch in it's airing years(I wasn't even alive in the 1900s, too young for 2003, and I think I missed 2009 for some reason). I'm basically a baby fan but nonetheless I love this franchise(?) so much because how well it deals with all these heavy topics in life whilst always maintaining a warm feeling :D

Rejoyce
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Rejoyce » 8 years ago

I watched the 2009 movie in the theater and loved it. A few weeks later, before my excitement wore off, I found a cool-looking comic book (it was Phoenix!) at the library. When I finished it, "Astro Boy" caught my eye in the "about the author" section. I was really excited that there was more! The next day I searched the library catalog and they had the first six volumes of the manga. If you remember, the end of the sixth volume is a cliffhanger. So that was painful until the rest of the manga was delivered to my library. I didn't start having money until recently, so most of what I know about Astro Boy comes from whatever was available through the library interloan.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

If your local public library does NOT have all of the Manga titles you want to read, check and see if your library is connected with the worldcat system. This online resource allows you to borrow books from other connected libraries throughout the country (and even other countries!) through your local library branch. It may take weeks for a selection to be delivered to your library, and loan periods may be limited, but it's a great resource. I was able to borrow all of the Black Jack volumes and the Pluto volumes even though my local library did not have them in the system. They also have DVD's available and I found some Tezuka videos available. (I don't know if Japan's libraries are connected to Worldcat, but THAT would be amazing!)
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

minazoid20
Kokoro Robot

Postby minazoid20 » 8 years ago

I found out about Astro Boy way back in 2010 when my younger cousin brought the dvd over and we watched it at my house along with my older brother. I thought the movie was alright but I wanted to learn more about Astro Boy, so I ended up finding out about original manga and the 60s, 80s, and 2003 versions (and of course the Pluto manga). I especially love the original manga.
The film's mediocre but I at least appreciate it for introducing me to Astro Boy.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 8 years ago

I first watched the 2003 series sometime during 2005 on a kids TV channel, it might have been Cartoon Network.

When the animated film came out, there was a huge influx of new members on this forum.

Rejoyce
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Rejoyce » 8 years ago

Darn! I checked, but my local library isn't a participant of WorldCat. However, it's part of a state interloan system that has most of the stuff I want to read/watch. That's how I saw the 1963 series. My local library owns a lot of Tezuka stuff anyway, like half of the Phoenix series, half of the Dark Horse manga, half of Black Jack... wow, they really should finish what they started.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 8 years ago

:D I am certain there is a very old thread that covers this same topic; I surely covered my own 1st exposure there. But for you young 'uns, I was a kid back in the 1960s, & saw it on TV. Much later, I was browsing a now extinct site called YESTERDAYLAND, & was reminded of the old B&W series. I then learned of the 1980s series, & bought the VHS tapes :lol: from TRSI, eventually, I found this site.

bigredrobot
Kokoro Robot

Postby bigredrobot » 8 years ago

I was 10 years old when I first saw astro boy I was watching TV at 1 am and was not so post to but i did and i found astro boy and i am 25 now and the 2009 movie came out on my b-day and i love astro boy hugs to you astro boy
robots need love to :wub: :blush: :blush: :hyo: :hyo: :astro: :o cha:

Firelord Zuko
Kokoro Robot

Postby Firelord Zuko » 8 years ago

I was about 7 in second grade, and I think my dad randomly checked out a VHS tape for some of the first episodes. I was sad that they didn't have all the episodes available. It wasn't until 9 years later I'd see all of them

Twinflower
Kokoro Robot

Postby Twinflower » 8 years ago

One my good friend recommend me to watch in 2013. From that time our friendship dissapeared but I still like Astro Boy :)
How can you stand there and deny it? (с ;)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”