How did you find out about Astro Boy?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Secretsivekept
Metro City Citizen

Postby Secretsivekept » 8 years ago

I was first introduced to Astro Boy in 2010 when I saw the movie (I was 12 then) and I fell head over HEELS with it. Yeah, I know how silly of a movie it is now, but 12 year old me didn't XD Plus I just liked Astro's overall character. Because I wanted more of Astro, I was able to find the 1980's tv series, and then the 2003 tv series (which is far better than the 80's show in my opinion ^^; ). BUT; it was because of Astro (and other things like ATLA, Danny Phantom, and the Big Four fandom) that I discovered my passion for art. I'm going to art school next semester ^-^ So I got a big soft spot for that lil robot. X3

My siblings will never understand me ;-;

YJ_Doodle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby YJ_Doodle » 8 years ago

Oh, I agree with so much of your reply. I've started to draw for real(Like every day) since I joined the HTTYD Books fandom(Gradually growing to things like Steven Universe, Undertale, and Astro Boy), and just doodling fanart has fueled me with great passion about art. I'm still a bit young to be worrying about college and whatnot, but I still want to go to art school too! I'm very jealous :D

Secretsivekept
Metro City Citizen

Postby Secretsivekept » 8 years ago

Well, I can recommend a few things for ya if you're interested in art! Ok there's this online class by a guy named Glenn Vilppu. He worked at Disney for a long time and he's an amazing teacher, he explains the human body so well! There's also an online place called New Masters Academy which, if you subscribe to it (and I highly recommend doing that) that has a bunch of videos from Glenn Vilppu and other art teachers that go through all sorts of art mediums; the human body, animals, landscapes, drawings, paintings, sculptures; you name it!!

What I'm hoping to do is go to a place called the American Animation Institute in Burbank, California. It's not a college, so I'll have to find room and board somewhere else, but the old disney animators teach there!! You can learn things like gestures, the basics of storyboarding and animation, and the prices are AMAZING for art classes. :D You can do more looking into it if you're interested (or ask me for more info, I'll be happy to give more!), I'm just throwing it out there for anyone else who wants to go into art :)

Whoops, sorry i got off track with the thread! uh—I LOVE ASTRO BOY. there. back on track now.

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby gokaiblue » 8 years ago

I can't recall how I was introduced, bit I think it was similar to how I was introduced to Dragon Ball. Before, I had always heard about the series but had yet to check it out. When I finally did, I fell in love with it and discovered this site, and the rest, as they say, is history.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 8 years ago

If I remember rightly, the two (Dragonball and Astro Boy) where aired on TV roughly the same time in the UK and on the same channel (which I cannot remember). This could explain why some users found one then the other. I remember watching Astro in the morning then Dragonball later on.

Astro Ducky
Kokoro Robot

Postby Astro Ducky » 8 years ago

I recall renting volume 2 of Akira Himewaka's manga version at the library back in 2008 or so, so I was eight at the time. It introduced me to both Astro Boy and manga as a whole, and I loved it. I bought the entire 3-volume manga very shortly after, and coincidentaly, just when I had finished reading through them, the movie released in theaters. It didn't come out over here in Denmark, but I was very eager to watch it, so my mother ordered it on DVD and gave it to me for my birthday. I remember adoring the movie when I first watched it, although some of the names confused me a bit. I don't actually think I've watched it since, though. To this day, Astro holds a special place in my heart. :astro:

Innocent_Eyes
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Innocent_Eyes » 8 years ago

I've been a fan since I was 5 back in 1995 after seeing the 1980's series air on Nickelodeon. I used to travel up to the video store (now long closed down) to hire out the old VHS tapes. As I grew older I discovered other fandoms but Astro is by far my longest. When the 2003 series came out I was hooked on that, but I wasn't that fond of the movie. During high school I used to go to the library and when I discovered volumes 1 and 2 of the manga there I asked if I could buy them.

I haven't been around here for years, but I'm still a long time fan. Astro is very sentimental to me.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 8 years ago

I rented the movie Steamboy, and it had a trailer for Metropolis before the main menu that blew me away. Then watched Metropolis, and desperately looked for more by the same creator which led me to Astro.

Already knew the character, but only far away in the back of my mind. Now it suddenly seemed way more interesting than I had ever anticipated.
I'm on Twitter.

toykyle
Kokoro Robot

Postby toykyle » 8 years ago

I found out, several years ago, about Astro Boy through the first couple episodes of the 1980s series in English dub and I think the 1960s instrumental opening, but didn't really get into it until the 2009 movie. I'm just glad this amazing anime went overseas, such a good part of childhood. :)

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”