Favorite version of Astro Boy (discussion)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
TetsuwanToby
Rocket Ball Champion

Favorite version of Astro Boy (discussion)

Postby TetsuwanToby » 8 years ago

I personally really love the 2003 version subbed because it shows more of Toby and his story. I also enjoy Tenma as a character and he was in the series quiet a bit. I just love how they expanded all of the characters. :D

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 8 years ago

I love the 2003 series as well, but my personal favorite is the 1980s series (the Japanese version subbed in English). It was the first Astro Boy series that I watched all the way through, so I have some fondness for it. I also like the soundtrack and stories in it quite a bit.

TetsuwanToby
Rocket Ball Champion

I love the 1980 as well but I've only seen it dubbed shiyonasan

Uran-chama
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Uran-chama » 8 years ago

I think I would have to go with 1963. When I first watched Astro Boy like 8 years ago I only saw 2003 and then 1980. I really liked '80 then, but when I got back into AB I finally watched 1963 and I love it. It's such a riot and I love the history behind the series. 1980 is second for me now :)

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

For a long time the 1963 series was the only one I knew. I didn't discover the 1980 or the 2003 versions until long after they had aired. The 2003 series has it's issues with the way it was dubbed from the Japanese, and I can't understand why they pan and scanned the original wide screen for the US DVD when letterboxed releases were the order of the day. Still, the actual animation in the 2003 series is my favorite, I think the way they've drawn the characters here is the best among all three. However, when it comes down to the plots, and stories, I like the 1963 series the best. This one was the most faithful to the original manga. I do own the DVD's for all three however.....
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

2003 subbed or original manga for me
Yeah, I didn't know the 80s series existed until I found it online either. I first saw it somewhere expecting the 60s series so imagine my surprise when I saw it was in color XD
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

jmb2891
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jmb2891 » 8 years ago

Gotta go with the 80's series or manga. Used to be the '03 series (still takes the silver, though), until I read Jay Rath's posts here about his experience dubbing the 80's and I rewatched it with new appreciation. Also, that was the last animated version that Tezuka himself was involved in, so there's that.
"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free."
-Jim Morrison

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you, too, can become great."
-Mark Twain

Please check out:
My YouTube Channel
My Ultimate-Guitar Profile

TetsuwanToby
Rocket Ball Champion

"jmb2891" wrote:Gotta go with the 80's series or manga. Used to be the '03 series (still takes the silver, though), until I read Jay Rath's posts here about his experience dubbing the 80's and I rewatched it with new appreciation. Also, that was the last animated version that Tezuka himself was involved in, so there's that.

That's a good point! :D

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

I am particularly fond of the original 1963 version for many reasons; it was the first version I saw so there's the nostalgia part, I like the variety of stories, I like the overall feel of the show, the voices, the animation slip-ups which amuse me, the imperfection and the fact that it is black and white makes it easier for me to see and reminds me more of comics.

But I love all versions and each series has a particular charm to it that I love.

If I had to pick a second favorite and then third when it comes to the animated series (ignoring Little Astro Boy) it would be the 2003 series and then the 1980s versions.

I love the themes portrayed in the 2003 version better than all of the series, and I love how it is more plot-driven than the other versions as well. I could definitely do without the editing choices that the Western version(s) ultimately had though and that's a common opinion.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

My favorite is the 2003 series; it was the first that I was exposed to it as a child (although I had heard of the character before, somehow- not too sure when or how though; I'm not terribly sure if I liked it all that much as a kid, either- it might've been a bit of a guilty pleasure, even then, as it's a bit strange to most modern audiences).

On its own, barring the western release (which was an unfortunate occurrence, if necessary in the long run), it's very sweet and nice. The animation is top-notch, as well- for the most part, at least; things get a little iffy in some episodes, especially in season two, as I recall. The sound quality astounds, however; a beautiful score does wonders for any piece.

Unfortunately, I have yet to make it through an entire run of the Japanese episodes; the subbing on the latter half of the series just puts me way off. Major curb of my enthusiasm for the series, right there, when I have to read about things like "sauce" and "hurry scurry" (even if such things are quite hilarious).
lolwut

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”