Favorite version of Atom?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Favorite version of Atom?

Postby Shiyonasan » 8 years ago

I could've sworn there was a thread for this already, but I can't find it, so I'll make a new one.

Which version of Atom is your favorite? As in, which official art style do you like that best out of all the Astro Boy series, including the manga, 1963, 1980, 2003, 2009 movie, Little Astro Boy, Astro Boy Reboot, or another series I'm forgetting? Some of the TV series have different art styles within them, such as the 1980 series.

If you can, post a picture of your favorite version of Atom.

EDIT: You can also post different costumes Atom wears that you like as well, such as Captain Atom, Atom with his green shirt in the Reboot, etc.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

As far as the artwork goes I really like the 2003 series the best. When he is depicted as a robot child, Atom is his most endearing in this version, yet when he puts on that determined 'hero' attitude the look on his face cries out 'GET OUTTA MY WAY' at 180db!

OTHO, only the 1963 series has Cobalt and Chi-Tan in it.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

My favorite version of Atom concerning his design only would have to be the 1960s animated version for the main reason of he wears the most diverse of outfits in this version. I like seeing him in outfits, and he also has a very broad range of expressions that if I am not mistaken are not portrayed in the other animated versions.

When it comes down to just personality I would go for the 2003 version as he is most consistent in this version I believe. In the 1960s version his personality and moral compass seems to be everywhere.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

"Earthshine" wrote:My favorite version of Atom concerning his design only would have to be the 1960s animated version for the main reason of he wears the most diverse of outfits in this version. I like seeing him in outfits, and he also has a very broad range of expressions that if I am not mistaken are not portrayed in the other animated versions.

When it comes down to just personality I would go for the 2003 version as he is most consistent in this version I believe. In the 1960s version his personality and moral compass seems to be everywhere.

While Astro does wear many different outfits in the 1963 series, most of the time he is shown only in his briefs, (and when he IS dressed those clothes disappear in an instant the moment he has to fly to fight something!) He has been outfitted for 'going under cover' or in a time travel scenario. Ditto in the 1980 series as well.

In the 2003 series he is often wearing something, especially when around his school friends.

I agree about the personality shifts in the 1963 stories. Of course, this version attempted to animate just about EVERY manga story, and they had to invent many new plots (and recycle some once or twice) just to get enough stories to fill 193 episodes.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

My home page

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

The show was still in demand, but they were running out of ideas. There were a few interesting original stories released during this time, as well, iirc.

My favorite, hands down, is the 2003 version, both aesthetically and story-wise. I actually don't tend to like most of the original stories, as told by the other two main series, in the manga, or just in general. Also, he was cute, but he slaughtered animals a lot in the manga... and not only did he do a lot of that in the 60's show, I'm also pretty sure that he might have killed some people. It's hard to say, especially since I can't understand Japanese. (Of course, I'm fairly certain that Jetter Mars has also killed people; but I've no confirmation of any deaths, and the instances that I had in mind, he didn't know any better. Plus he was kind of... built to do that??) It just... doesn't sit well with me, for some reason. That said, there are some moments and episodes in it that I really like.

It's too early to say too much about the Reboot series, but I've gotta say that the style has grown on me a little... not that I ever outright disliked it. LAB has a whimsical style, from what little I've been able to see of it; I would need to see more of it to properly critique it, but from the screenshots posted around, it's actually fairly nice. Astro is cute, and the backgrounds/environments have a sort of... child's drawing feel to them, iirc. Like, they used crayons, or something. (Although it was probably watercolors, if it wasn't digital.)
lolwut

Uran-chama
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Uran-chama » 8 years ago

I think I always kind of preferred Astro's proportions in the 1980 series. He was just so cute and little. Though I hadn't thought about his facial expressions, or lack there of. He definitely has a wider range of emotions in the 1963 series which is nice.

So I guess I most prefer a mix between 80s and 60s Astro.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Let me add a different idea to this mix....
I've formed a sort of "head canon" as to how I'd have liked the 'perfect' Astro anime to be built around. This would include characters from all three of the anime series, and maybe one from the movie.

So Astro would have Uran, Cobalt, and Chi-tan as siblings. His friends would include Shib, Kenichi, Tamao, Reno, and maybe Cora. The 2003 version of Atlas would be there as an anti-hero who might sometimes actually do the right thing. Atlas would be able to appear in both the Dachi and Atlas forms depending on his state of mind.

Pluto would also be in this universe, I can imagine him surviving the encounter with Boron, at least there might have been enough pieces of him left for the professor to rebuild him. In the end Pluto did realize that he could be a useful robot, perhaps he's now working for the Ministry, maybe off world....

I'm not sure about Astro's parents. I think I prefer the idea of him living with the professor, but there have been some stories where his parents did play a role in the plot that made sense.

And maybe, just maybe, Jetter Mars is hiding in this AU somewhere. Unless, now here's a weird idea, Mars COULD actually be Atlas in another form.... (He DID come first, unless you consider the character from "Don Tay's Inferno" to be Atlas, which is what Tezuka called him. However, THAT character was completely recast in the 1980 anime.)
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

My home page

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

You sort of do what I do and many other fans when there are multiple versions of a series; you pick and choose elements of the series and sort of combine them to make a pleasing version of that series or character in your mind.

Rejoyce
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Rejoyce » 8 years ago

I think in the story department I prefer the manga. It's so full of life and the panels are very cleverly arranged to tell the story. Although I must admit that some of the stories made me scratch my head. The Greatest Robot arc is one of my favorites but I really didn't like the ending. I was like, "That's it?? Just a friendship message?" Which I guess is the whole point of Astro Boy, but it just felt too abrupt to me.

I like the 1963 series best art-wise. The old-future thing is really charming and I get a kick out of the cheesy sound effects. And didn't they have a budget of like a buck to work with? Very impressive! I like comparing the styles of the 1980 and 2003 serieseses too. The most obvious difference to me was the shininess level. Every little thing affects the atmosphere of each show. It's fun to analyze.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

I'm caught between manga Atom and 2003 Atom myself. I wont lie though. I really like Little Astro Boy too XD
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”