Opinions on the English dubs?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

Yeah, it's oddly hard to find. The only place I knew that had it was a youtube channel that uploaded them officially but recently lost the license =(
I do like the idea though. I once considered doing an "abridged" parody of the 60s series XD
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby gokaiblue » 8 years ago

Lol. That would be funny.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 8 years ago

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:Finally, for the 1980 series, just go out and buy the English, Canadian, or Australian dubs on DVD, They show up on ebay often. Not cheap, but not a kings ransom either.

The American dub is the only one on DVD. The "Australian" dub is just the American dub, but since AB1980 was really big in Australia in the 1980s, it gets confused as being made there as well. The Canadian dub has never been released on any home video format.

1963: It's really, really awkward to listen to, but I can't fault it too much since it's the first go at an English anime dub.

1980 (American): At times, it's cheesy, but I honestly can't fault this dub at all. I've met some of the voice actors, and they really enjoyed being part of the cast. The splicing-together of the first two episodes was actually something done outside of the dub team's control, as Skunk's actor Jay Rath once mentioned actually dubbing the episodes in full. It kills me that the original 1980 English audio for this is possibly gone forever. (I know Rath was hoping to get the cast together to redub it, but I don't know if that's legally possible at this time.)

1980 (Canadian): The vocal portrayals are at times more fitting for the characters (like with how most of the children/teens in the dub are played by child actors), but SO much was cut from this dub. Anywhere between 3-7 minutes an episode can be missing, with footage outright cut out or scrambled to remove violence. The name changes are also legendary...Shunsaku Ban is "Max McNugget", Skunk is "Slippery", and Pluto is "Commonturk." I'm dedicated to finding this dub again since it's what I originally grew up with, but it's such a disaster at times.

2003: Everything I hate about this version has already been discussed in this thread. The only thing I can praise is Dr. Tenma's voice actor, Dorian Harewood, a distinguished actor and singer. He's even got two professionally-released albums. I have no idea how they got a guy this good into the dub, but his portrayal of Tenma is absolutely fantastic.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

The American dub is the only one on DVD. The "Australian" dub is just the American dub, but since AB1980 was really big in Australia in the 1980s, it gets confused as being made there as well. The Canadian dub has never been released on any home video format.

I'm fairly sure that the Australian DVD is packaged differently than the one sold in the US, maybe the US dub was licensed to a seller in Australia. IIRC "Madmen" was the seller down there. Also those DVD's would have been pressed with a different region code, and maybe different printed material would have come with them. So there would have been small differences in the product.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 8 years ago

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:

I'm fairly sure that the Australian DVD is packaged differently than the one sold in the US, maybe the US dub was licensed to a seller in Australia. IIRC "Madmen" was the seller down there. Also those DVD's would have been pressed with a different region code, and maybe different printed material would have come with them. So there would have been small differences in the product.

I was not talking about regions or video packaging. I was talking about dubbing audio. This dub is the only one on DVD. The Madman audio and the Anchor Bay audio on their releases are identical. You said there were "English, Canadian, or Australian dubs." I explained this fairly cohesively and you seem to have ignored this.
Last edited by Fauna on Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!

Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

No, I accept your explanation for the dubs, but I was trying to explain the confusion for the belief that there was a difference, in that the Manga productions release was not sold in Australia.

Was the Canadian dub done in both English and French?
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby gokaiblue » 8 years ago

^
The only one I know of was in English

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”