Opinions on the English dubs?

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

"Shiyonasan" wrote:Unfortunately, Tezuka Productions holds a tight grip on Astro Boy and doesn't seem to want to release the full Japanese versions of each series internationally (with the exception of Little Astro Boy, which wasn't entirely made by them). If I remember hearing correctly, a lot of the Japanese version of the 1963 series was lost in a fire many years ago. Tetsuwan Penguin or F-Man could explain things better than I could about that. So, it's understandable why we only have bits and pieces of the Japanese version of that series.

However, I would love to see a full Japanese release of the 1980 series and 2003 series internationally one day.

As for the topic at hand, I've only really delved into the 2003 series' English dub, which was many years ago on Toonami. I remember not being a huge fan of it, especially Atom's voice. I wouldn't say it was absolutely terrible, but it certainly wasn't worthy of any awards.

I wouldn't mind watching the English version of the 1963 series one day. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I wouldn't say that Tezuka productions has refused to release the series on DVD or BD. They've been available in Japan for years (but not at the kind of cheap prices that we're used to for DVD sets, though the cost per disc wasn't too outrageous). They've been released in Region 2 format, but finding a machine that can play those isn't very hard at all. DVD software for Macs and PC's running Linux can do it.

Jeffbert has had access to the Japanese DVD's for the 1963 series. (That's where the images he's posted on the forum have come from) IIRC only 3 or 4 of the episodes are 'lost', and only one of them is TOTALLY gone. Several have been remastered on the DVD's with some parts of the missing video replaced by still frames, but the audio is present. Only one episode was completely destroyed, but the script written in Japanese is on the DVD.

The entire Japanese DVD collection often shows up on Amazon Japan, or on Ebay, usually in three or four boxed sets to comprise the entire series. If you really want to buy them you can probably manage to find them, but be prepared to spend between $500-$1000 for everything! (You might get lucky on finding a used set for much less and a piecemeal basis). And there are also bootleg ripped MP4 and AVI files hiding out on the internet from time to time. A few of us have watched some of those......

The 1963 ELV box sets are still in production. Both sets together should set you back less than $200. I found used 'like new' ones on ebay for about $70 each.

The Japanese version of the 2003 series is all over the internet, currently several sites in China and other East Asian countries are streaming them. The subs for episodes 25-50 suck, but the first 24 are reasonable. They are all probably based on the bootleg Korean VCD's that were sold on ebay years ago. Those discs still show up from time to time. The quality isn't great, but if you can find them cheap it might be worth it.

Finally, for the 1980 series, just go out and buy the English, Canadian, or Australian dubs on DVD, They show up on ebay often. Not cheap, but not a kings ransom either.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby gokaiblue » 8 years ago

Dragonrider1227 wrote:60s: has awkward moments but given the time and I think being the first anime dubbed for American television, I think it's not as bad as it could've been. It's actually rather charming in it. And I like Astro's voice. It's often what I hear when I read the manga.
80s: aside from the edits to the first two episodes, my only real gripe about this dub is the acting. It's SOOO bland. And for the record, the Canadian dub had the best voice for Astro. When I don't hear the 60x voice, I hear him.
2003: *eye twitches* every major dubbing mistake you COULD make, this one did

If only we could find the Canadian dub easily.

Also, I definitely concur with you on the 2003 dub. Why no other licensor has taken it and redubbed it accurately is beyond me.
Last edited by gokaiblue on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YJ_Doodle
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby YJ_Doodle » 8 years ago

The 2003 english dub one is real funny because of Astro's voice turns really scratchy and there are times when the voice actor makes these weird pauses trying to sync the animation her voice, for instance:

https://youtu.be/cPTVXTP_L8Q (3:55 I think)

"We can teach humans to understand-(pause)-robots!"

And then there's the "Whaa?" and "Huh?" and "Grrr"s that really aren't necessary.

Oh well, one thing I did like about the english dub was in the Robotonia episode, when Astro just yells in frustration after picking up the family photo. He just sounded so upset and angry and that really resonated with me.

What REALLY got me mad was the music. Holy humbug, the MUSIC. Why did they get rid of that beautiful soundtrack? The organ music that plays when Dr. Tenma is mentioned and the slowed down Astro Boy theme were the cues/boosters of emotional scenes! Not that I dislike EDM(I'm in love with the music for the ABR teaser, that's for sure) but it sounded so emotionless compared to the Japanese soundtrack.

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

I'm still rather fascinated that there's not a huge demand for an uncut release of any of the Astro Boy anime. I guess nostalgia really is powerful, or they simply can't do it either due to rights restrictions or (in the case of the 80's and 60's anime) actors or studios not being active or alive anymore.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

"gokaiblue" wrote:[QUOTE=Dragonrider1227]60s: has awkward moments but given the time and I think being the first anime dubbed for American television, I think it's not as bad as it could've been. It's actually rather charming in it. And I like Astro's voice. It's often what I hear when I read the manga.
80s: aside from the edits to the first two episodes, my only real gripe about this dub is the acting. It's SOOO bland. And for the record, the Canadian dub had the best voice for Astro. When I don't hear the 60x voice, I hear him.
2003: *eye twitches* every major dubbing mistake you COULD make, this one did

If only we could find the Canadian dub easily.

Also, I definitely concur with you on the 2003 dub. Why no other licensor has taken it and redubbed it accurately is beyond me.[/QUOTE]
Probably a lack of demand considering how quickly it bombed. Animes like Sailor Moon and One Piece mostly got their redubs because of huge fan demand. The Astro Boy fandom on the other hand however... we seem to be an incredibly quiet fan base. We'll never get a re-release unless we make noise for it like they did but I've had this rant.
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

That's interesting. A huge cultural icon...yet such a quiet fanbase. It's kinda an oxymoron when you think about it.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

You would think but compared to other animes, even older animes, Astro's presence in general anime fandom seems incredibly quiet. At least in America. I know he's still huge in Japan and other Asian countries. After all, they did make those Pop Vinyl figures Asian exclusives. You have no idea how annoyed I was when I found out I could walk down to any comic book store and pick up a pop vinyl of Gigantor and Doraemon, but not Astro. I managed to get him online anyway =D but it's the principle of the thing.
Mind you, I've seen what some of the bigger, louder, anime fandoms can be like and maybe we should count our blessings XD

There's also the possibility that Sony (who owns 2003 Astro Boy) refuses for some reason to let any other companies touch it :/
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

^
Hm, didn't think about Sony. I guess the only series that has a possibility of a redub (still slim) would be the 80s series.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

It's only a theory but it's possible.
An 80s series redub would be interesting. Though yeah, probably slim. I'm unsure if most people even know the 80s series exists.
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

I once toyed with the idea of doing an uncut fandub of it but couldn't find enough uncut footage of it.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”