Live Action Astro Boy Movie (Official Upcoming Film)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Live Action Astro Boy Movie (Official Upcoming Film)

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

Looks like Astro Boy Reboot won't be the only new Astro Boy media we'll be getting in the near future.

One of the studios working on the movie, Animal Logic, has also worked on Happy Feet, Legend of the Guardians, and The Lego Movie.

Also, the ANN article mentions that "Animal Logic is aiming to make the film for all audiences, not just children, like blockbuster comic book movies. The producers are also planning to use many of the supporting characters and villains from the original series."

Sources: Hollywood Reporter, Anime News Network

'Astro Boy' Heading to Big-Screen as Live-Action Movie (Exclusive)

No director is attached, but the producers are about to begin a search for writers.

Australia’s Animal Logic Entertainment has partnered with Japan’s Tezuka Productions to develop a live-action feature adaptation of the iconic character Astro Boy.

Zareh Nalbandian from Animal Logic Entertainment will produce with Jason Lust acting as executive producer. Mike Callaghan and Reuben Liber from Ranger 7 Films will also exec produce.

No director is attached, but the producers are about to begin a search for writers.

Animal Logic is known mainly for its special effects work, ranging from groundbreaking efforts in Happy Feet to this summer’s Avengers: Age of Ultron, but it also has, since 2007, a development arm that is fostering a slate comprising live-action, hybrid and special effects-heavy projects. A Betty Boop feature, being produced with Simon Cowell’s SYCO Entertainment, is among the titles being developed.

Astro Boy was a Japanese manga created in the early 1950s by Osamu Tezuka, who has been described as Japan’s Walt Disney, that ran for decades in comic and newspaper strip form. It was then translated into several anime series that became popular around the world in the 1970s and 1980s. Hollywood tried several times to bring the character to the big screen, succeeding only with an animated 2009 feature from Imagi Animation. (Freddie Highmore voiced the titular character.)

Astro (Boy) is a robot boy created by a scientist as a replacement for the man’s dead son. After going on a Pinocchio-style adventure, he ends up with a new owner and a new mission: to fight evil (in human or robot form) using his many superpowers.

While the cartoons targeted a young demo, Animal Logic is aiming to make a four-quadrant adventure movie tailor-made for the comic book movie age.

“We’ve seen him as a manga, an anime and an animated movie but we’ve never seen him as a live-action movie or him as a superhero,” said Nalbandian. “We actually see him in the same league as an Iron Man.”

The producers also want to take advantage of the large ensemble of supporting characters and villains that were created over the decades.

"We want to make it aspirational but not soft," added Nalbandian.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

I'm sure that there will be quite a bit of CGI in this, I can't imagine doing it any other way. I'd hate to see something like Tezuka's original live action Tetsuwan Atom!
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

EyeOdyssey

Postby EyeOdyssey » 9 years ago

First thing that came to mind for me was the possibility of a live action Noh Uno. Figures.

In Astro's place, they should have some dude in his thirties dressed like Atom while wearing the same plastic hair that was used in the 1950s live action series. Maybe also have all his dialogue be dubbed by a kid for that extra touch of strangeness. That would be phenomenal.
I also believe that the film should be directed by the same goofball who did the Wicker Man remake and have Nicholas Cage star as Dr. Tenma. Don't forget the bees, those are essential.

click for spoilerI am laughing at this reply a lot more than I should. I'm on the floor right now.
For more, have a stop by The EyeOdyssey Lounge.
http://eyeodyssey.tumblr.com/

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 9 years ago

Let's make it a race between this and the Pluto movie. Since they say they're already looking for writers I'm going to bet on this one for 2020 and Pluto will lose by a couple years or be canceled.
I'm on Twitter.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

"EyeOdyssey" wrote:In Astro's place, they should have some dude in his thirties dressed like Atom while wearing the same plastic hair that was used in the 1950s live action series. Maybe also have all his dialogue be dubbed by a kid for that extra touch of strangeness. That would be phenomenal.
I also believe that the film should be directed by the same goofball who did the Wicker Man remake and have Nicholas Cage star as Dr. Tenma. Don't forget the bees, those are essential.

My brother and I were discussing the idea of Danny Devito in a speedo with cowlicked hair, playing Astro in this movie. He'd be super profane, and the birth of Astro would be like that scene in IASIP where Devito's character slides naked out of a leather couch in the middle of a party.

Okay, seriously now, I have one real hope for this live action movie: actual Japanese people as the Japanese characters. I don't want this whitewashed like with the Hollywood plans for Akira and Ghost in the Shell. I nominate Ken Watanabe for Dr. Tenma, and Gedde Watanabe for Dr. Ochanomizu.

And Steve Buscemi for Hamegg. That would be just the perfect casting.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

George Takai as Ochanomizu. He's old enough!
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page

http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 9 years ago

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:George Takai as Ochanomizu. He's old enough!

I'm just not sure if he really looks and sounds like a conventional Ochanomizu. I went with Gedde for Ochanomizu because he's a bit of a big guy and has a soft face, so all he'd need to do is kinda perm his hair. Then again, if Takei could somehow pull off Ochan, I'd be all for it.

What we really need, though, is casting for a new Japanese-American actor in his sixties with a noticeable nose...
ImageImageImageImage

Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!

Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 9 years ago

George Takai as Ochanomizu. He's old enough!

Not a big fan...don't want Star Trek attached to this and his voice is un-nerving enough.

Ken Watanabe as Ochanomizu or Tenma
Ken-Watanabe.jpg
Ken-Watanabe.jpg (50.34 KiB) Viewed 6734 times

Reggie Lee as a New Shinjuku Police Sargent.
[img]http://image-cdn.zap2it.com/images/reggie-lee-grimm-nbc.jpg[/img]

How about Sasha Royz as Towashi?
Sasha-Roiz-as-Captain-Sean-Renard-grimm-33631878-2047-1366.jpg
Sasha-Roiz-as-Captain-Sean-Renard-grimm-33631878-2047-1366.jpg (35.16 KiB) Viewed 6628 times
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: No reason to triple post here. Please use the edit button to add content to your newest post.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

jayrath
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jayrath » 9 years ago

I'm waiting for my phone call. ;)

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 9 years ago

I'm unsure if Astro Boy can translate to live action very well, but then my only example of this is the Japanese tv series from the mid 50s XD

"F-Man" wrote:Let's make it a race between this and the Pluto movie. Since they say they're already looking for writers I'm going to bet on this one for 2020 and Pluto will lose by a couple years or be canceled.

I don't know much about the Pluto movie's development. I mean for all I know, this could be the Pluto movie packaged as an Astro Boy movie on the grounds that investors think no one knows who Pluto is but everyone knows Astro Boy.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”