Live Action Astro Boy Movie (Official Upcoming Film)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
gokaiblue
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby gokaiblue » 8 years ago

And not to mention, in the 1980 and 2003 series, he has been confused with/passed for a hums child before.

Tnarrud
Kokoro Robot

ASTRO BOY LIVE ACTION MOVIE

Postby Tnarrud » 8 years ago

l am hoping that the producers of the ASTROBOY live action film cast a petite actress as Astro and do not endanger the life or safety of a child.

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 8 years ago

Me and my roommate where discussing this the other day, and we came to the conclusion that they would use a teenage boy, and maybe a petite stunt double for the action scenes. Judging by the other Films Animal Logic has produced; it also depends on what director they get.

Also, there is already a thread on the subject of the live action film:

http://www.astroboy-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9179&highlight=live+action

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 8 years ago

Yes, it is very likely that they will hire someone in their teens to play Atom or (and I am favoring this) will hire a talented voice actor and have his character computer generated as with so many action blockbuster films.

Though if they did hire a child I am very confident they would be very careful to keep their safety in mind and they would not be injured.

I decided to merge your thread Tnarrud with the other thread as well ;)

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

A real boy could work. Look at the Jungle Book movie coming out. Granted, Mowgli isn't a robot but that movie is sure to have intense action in it. Knowing sci-fi and comic book movies these days, the really intense action scenes will probably be done with CGI child actor or not.

One of my thoughts is if this works, what will they do for sequels? Any boy they hire will probably grow too old by the time sequels are ready. One of the reasons they should consider a motion capture effect for Astro. Otherwise they'll need a new kid playing Astro every movie.
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

Heck, don't even mention other films- there will likely be issues filming just the one in the first place, if the kid keeps growing up! Idk how the Harry Potter folks did it, other than quite a bit of rushing...
lolwut

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

If they do decide to use a teenage actor, I think he will be around 16 years of age, where visible growth is slower than in a child. I also hope that if they decide to use CG, they use in combination with a stunt double. As with CG alone, things can turn out not so well and can become quite obviously fake and plastic-like.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 8 years ago

"Little Brown Fox" wrote:Heck, don't even mention other films- there will likely be issues filming just the one in the first place, if the kid keeps growing up! Idk how the Harry Potter folks did it, other than quite a bit of rushing...

Well, Harry Potter's different since Harry is supposed to be growing up in the story.

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

Yeah, but only on a yearly scale. Daniel Radcliffe was like, idk how old, but still of an appropriate age for the character he was playing; I'm pretty sure that he was into his early twenties at the end of it, playing a character that was only 17.

Plus, where voices are involved, kids in their preteen and teen phases tend to have their voices change a lot as they grow. It's more of a problem in animated works, but depending on how drastic the change is, that can also be a small detail that almost ruins the whole thing for everyone. (Or maybe that's just completely bonkers people like me.) Like, in the 2009 animated film, you could actually hear the change in his voice, in like, one scene. (Comparing the movie to the animated shorts is even worse. And when you think on how Freddie Highmore sounds today; he doesn't even sound like the same person anymore, somehow!)
lolwut

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

I guess they had to shave him a lot, as well as edit his voice (or tell him to make his voice higher in tone) and make him wear a lot of makeup. :lol:

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”