Live Action Astro Boy Movie (Official Upcoming Film)

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
breejay
Kokoro Robot

Postby breejay » 9 years ago

Suggesting Asian actors? I was made for this.

Ahem.

If the movie goes in the direction of a young, 9-13 year old Astro to try to stick to it's original roots, then I looked up some of these actors:

click for spoilerHudson Yang
A young actor in his late teenage/maybe early adult years but still with a squishy face suited for our loveably chubby Atom!

Albert Tsai
An even younger candidate matching the age of anime Astro is this cutie pie. He's already been nominated for 'Best Supporting Actor' so why not see how he does as a main? ^^

Brandon Soo Hoo
Another older choice in his very early twenties but still with the face of a baba. He could work extremely well for a 13 year old Astro and looks like he has a similar charisma to Astro!

Ryan Potter
Some may recognise this one! At 19 this boy is on the cusp of a young face that could be easily placed as an early-teenage Astro! Plus with his work in Big Hero 6 I'm sure he's already gotten a lot of popularity!

Now, if the company decides that maybe Astro needs to look slightly older and make him older to please those poor sensitive American parents who can't seem to accept that, yes, Tobio dies, then these two could be good choices!

click for spoilerDaniel Henney
Another popular potential choice! If you didn't adore Hiro then you swooned at Tadashi. He's a little tall but considering the amount of CGI needed for this movie to work i'm sure that won't be a problem.

Justin Chon
With more of a 'bad boy' appearance to him, you can just tell that this man (who's like double my age wth) would look good in an Astro wig (please no).

For my own sake I'm gonna add in one more squishy to the list, however he's more known as a singer but has still done acting before. The only problem would be the language really. ^^

click for spoilerDo Kyungsoo
With an awkward little smile and squishy little cheeks this baba is perfect for an innocent little Astro boy, considering he's also a little shrimp at 5'7" (i think that's small anyway???).

I put less work than this into my school essays...
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Android
Kokoro Robot

Postby Android » 9 years ago

is there even a market for Astro? I know there are plenty of fans and everything but I think Astro is quite overlooked atm, and tezuka stuff in general.

Umbral-Coltwings
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Umbral-Coltwings » 9 years ago

"Android" wrote:is there even a market for Astro? I know there are plenty of fans and everything but I think Astro is quite overlooked atm, and tezuka stuff in general.

What exactly do you mean by market? If you mean merchandise, there isn't much.
And yes, I would agree that Astro is pretty overlooked with there being really popular stuff like Naruto, Bleach, Soul Eater and the like. :(

Anyway, is there any more news about the movie?
:hyo: whoops

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 9 years ago

I'm actually interested in how a CGI Atom could work (as well as what they'd actually call him, but that's less important). That could pose a problem, considering that he's the star and as such he needs to be "relatable", or, to put it plainly, human. Although, some mo-cap puppetry a la Avatar and Tintin could work here... There'd still be the problem of uncanny valley, most likely, but, still, I'd prefer that over an actual person that doesn't really look like him. Remake or no, I'd still like the character to channel his general look.

Anyhow... Yeah, we can all admit that he doesn't get a lot of props these days. He needs his proper due, really; the problem is that most attempts fall flat on their faces, for one reason or another, or several. The 2009 movie is a prime example of this; it has it's charms, but when it takes several times watching the film to find them, then you know you've got a potential disaster on your hands. That being said, it could have been worse; but the damage to the franchise has been done, regardless. Although I hadn't even considered the problems that Jeffbert mentioned to be "problems" before. I still don't, really, but I am also painfully aware of ignorant parents trying to keep their kids in a bubble these days. I can understand that most of these things are produced for a different demo, sure; but that doesn't mean I don't think it still sucks.

I'm rambling; sorry. Anywho, this series has been rehashed before; it has an unusually albeit notoriously hard time catching on with American and other audiences. There have already been recent attempts to revive the property for foreign audiences: Little Astro Boy, although how well that particular venture did, is impossible to say. But At least some kids out there probably know the name now, and may recall it later when the next big thing releases, kind of like with me and the 2003 series and the movie. Granted, they may view it with a much more juvenile slant, which could pose a serious threat to the project's popularity, but... ANYWAY. The yet-to-be released (but will likely release before the film does) Franco-Japanese joint project. This one looks and sounds promising, so far, though we have yet to learn anything particularly useful about it other than what it's probably going to look like (which is very good, from where I'm standing). I believe that it is hoped that they may even someday acquire their own movie for this iteration, although it's too soon to tell.

Um. I'm not making much sense anymore, am I. I have a hard time articulating thoughts and ideas, particularly when I'm distracted (and I am prone to distraction), and for that, I apologize. I hope I at least made some sense.
lolwut

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 8 years ago

The live-action Astro Boy movie is not dead yet.

The movie is set to be acquired by New Line Cinema with script writers from the movie San Andreas coming on board. The two script writers in question are Andre Fabrizio and Jeremy Passmore.

Sources: Anime News Network; Hollywood Reporter

Anime News Network wrote:Live-Action Astro Boy Film Heads to New Line, Acquires Writers

San Andreas' Andre Fabrizio, Jeremy Passmore to pen script

The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision blog reported on Wednesday that Warner Bros. subsidiary New Line Cinema is in talks to acquire Animal Logic Entertainment and Tezuka Productions' planned live-action film based on Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy.

In addition, New Line has tapped San Andreas writers Andre Fabrizio and Jeremy Passmore to write the film's script.

Animal Logic's Jason Lust and Ranger7 Films' Mike Callaghan and Reuben Liber are serving as executive producers.

Animal Logic is aiming to make the film for all audiences, not just children, like blockbuster comic book movies. The producers are also planning to use many of the supporting characters and villains from the original series.

[...]
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fanficlover99
Banned

Postby Fanficlover99 » 8 years ago

Seening that Warner Bros. will release new Godzilla/Kong movies, There is a Possibility of another movie where :astro: gets to battle the new Godzilla
check out my DA page
http://doctorwhovian1963.deviantart.com/ :hyo:
you can also check me out on fanfiction here https://www.fanfiction.net/~doctorwhovian63

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 8 years ago

Ah, hm... Idk what "San Andreas" was about. I just think of the Grand Theft Auto game from years ago...

Oh nevermind; I checked the link and I think I remember seeing commercials for this one! It doesn't have a very good score, though... I'm a little worried about that. The concept in and of itself seems like a longshot, anyways...
lolwut

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

What it might need is the "Marvel" treatment. I can see a CGI enhanced live action Atom, in the same vein as "Iron Man". Also with such creations as "Rocket" and "Groot" being done with such technology, Astro would be a piece of cake.

Now all we need is a decent script.....
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Fanficlover99
Banned

Postby Fanficlover99 » 8 years ago

I Want Joe Johnston to Direct
check out my DA page

http://doctorwhovian1963.deviantart.com/ :hyo:

you can also check me out on fanfiction here https://www.fanfiction.net/~doctorwhovian63

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 8 years ago

"The Hollywood Reporter's Heat Vision blog reported on Wednesday that Warner Bros. subsidiary New Line Cinema is in talks to acquire Animal Logic Entertainment and Tezuka Productions' planned live-action film based on Osamu Tezuka's Astro Boy."

As I read that, Tezuka Pro. itself is making the film & WB just wants to do the English language treatment for it. If not, I doubt it will be much good; that is, if a US co. actually makes the film. Atom fans such as I would likely think it poor.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”