We're baaaaaack!

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
Mark
Administrator

We're baaaaaack!

Postby Mark » 6 years ago

Hi everyone,

Our webhosting company recently upgraded some software that broke our forum. The forum software we used (vbulletin) was very old and could not work in the new environment, so I have installed a new forum (phpbb) and copied over all the data I could from the old ones.

Hopefully right now everything works more or less the same than it did before, though it all looks very different. If you encounter any issues, please post them here and I will try to fix them ASAP.

Thanks everyone,

- Mark

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Re: We're baaaaaack!

Postby DrFrag » 6 years ago

Thanks Mark! :w00t:

Looks like I got in early. I've had a quick look through and here's what I've noticed so far:

In Control Panel > Private Messages, it says "You are not authorised to read private messages."

In Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Global Settings, my timezone was off by half an hour. But maybe it had always been like that. The site provided a button with my suggested (correctly) timezone which was cool.

In Control Panel > Profile > Edit Avatar it says "The avatar functionality is currently disabled." I don't think I had an avatar on vbulletin anyway.

Looks like signatures are enabled in a few settings, but I can't see anywhere to view or change my signature.

The front page has a section for birthdays, but I don't see anywhere in the control panel for my date of birth.

Do you plan to customise the layout to match the old forums or wiki? I always liked the old vbulletin look cause it reminded me of the early Internet when sites were about hobbies rather than money. I totally understand the need to move away from unsupported software though.

Thanks for all your work in keeping this going. 8-)

Edit: I've found some spam which I'm sure wasn't visible before, so I reported it. Also, is there a public memberlist anymore?

Edit2: Internal links seem to be broken, eg. the ones in this post. It gave me a bit of a sick feeling cause I suspect that's a major job to fix. :?

Mark
Administrator

DrFrag wrote:In Control Panel > Private Messages, it says "You are not authorised to read private messages."

In Control Panel > Board Preferences > Edit Global Settings, my timezone was off by half an hour. But maybe it had always been like that. The site provided a button with my suggested (correctly) timezone which was cool.

In Control Panel > Profile > Edit Avatar it says "The avatar functionality is currently disabled." I don't think I had an avatar on vbulletin anyway.

Looks like signatures are enabled in a few settings, but I can't see anywhere to view or change my signature.

The front page has a section for birthdays, but I don't see anywhere in the control panel for my date of birth.

Looks like forum permissions were out of whack for a few people. I've reset the permissions for everyone and you should be able to access everything properly now.

DrFrag wrote:Do you plan to customise the layout to match the old forums or wiki? I always liked the old vbulletin look cause it reminded me of the early Internet when sites were about hobbies rather than money. I totally understand the need to move away from unsupported software though.

I do plan to update the look of the forum. It won't be exactly like it was but I'll try to get it close.

DrFrag wrote:Also, is there a public memberlist anymore?

Member list is under "Quick links" in the top left. (I had to hunt around a bit for this myself too :lol:)

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 6 years ago

To say the least, this forum software is a bit, Spartan. I hope you can eventually customize the look with some of the "Astro" images it once had. What happened to the user signature pictures? I see that the one I linked to my website is still there, but not the one stored on the site.

I'm glad to see the site back up!
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Mark
Administrator

Links to topics inside posts are currently broken. Thread IDs have all been changed due to the upgrade so I'll see what I can do to automate a fix.

Edit: links to topics are working again.

Tetsuwan Penguin wrote:To say the least, this forum software is a bit, Spartan. I hope you can eventually customize the look with some of the "Astro" images it once had.

I agree 100%. I just wanted to get things up and running sooner rather than later. I'll be working on the look over time.

Tetsuwan Penguin wrote:What happened to the user signature pictures? I see that the one I linked to my website is still there, but not the one stored on the site.

Looks like the conversion process missed those. I still have them all backed up so I will see what can be done about restoring them.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 6 years ago

Good to see that the forum is back! Going to take a while to get used to it, but at least I'm familiar with phpBB from another forum.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 6 years ago

Looks like spoiler tags aren't working properly yet.

click for spoilerThis should be hidden.

This is what I see:

Also I'd like to add how much we appreciate you importing not only all the messages but all the user accounts and passwords. Not every forum transition I've witnessed has gone this smoothly. I hope fixing the last few bugs doesn't take your whole weekend. :)

Mark
Administrator

DrFrag wrote:Looks like spoiler tags aren't working properly yet.

click for spoilerthey are now :)

AstroAllies
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby AstroAllies » 6 years ago

Finally the forum is back (plus with a new look!) :D At first I thought it was just an error when the forum broke down. Thank you Mark for bringing this forum back to normal. :)

It looks good, but I think would be better if the forum is customized by adding some Astro Boy themed pictures.

How about the wiki site? Will it also be changed to match the look of the forum?

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 6 years ago

Sandi Two wrote:It looks good, but I think would be better if the forum is customized by adding some Astro Boy themed pictures.

How about the wiki site? Will it also be changed to match the look of the forum?

Mark plans to update the look of the forum to make it look as close to the previous forum as possible. The wiki is likely going to maintain the same look.

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”