Astro Boy Gets Limited Reprint for Tezuka's 90th Birthday

Talk about all things Astro Boy!
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Re: Astro Boy Gets Limited Reprint for Tezuka's 90th Birthday

Postby jeffbert » 6 years ago

I just checked the boxes for 2 of the 4 units I ordered to ship. Hopefully, I will be able to sell all 4 for a good bit more than what I paid for them. That UNIT 1 I bought via amazon.jp sellers for $650 still smarts! I checked the 1st class shipment box. I assume they will want additional $ to cover shipment.

BTW, I also have the Kodansha & the Kappa reprints (I assume they are the same as what you have). The Kodansha were 8 volumes of HB books, while the Kappa were Soft cover having some 6 volumes of 90 or so pages in each of 5 sets. There are similarities between the Kappa & the Unit1, but there are differences also, mainly in the dialog, but many panels were cut, others were rearranged in sequence. I painstakingly transcribed the versions I have, which, included the one in Unit 7, "Space Travelers" so named (in English) by Tezuka himself. I 1st compared the AMBASSADOR ATOM in unit 1 with SPACE TRAVELERS (unit 7), then SPACE TRAVELERS with the Kappa version. At this time, I realized that in the COMPLETE WORKS version, Tezuka was talking about the original & the Kappa version, when saying that he had made atom the main character. I do not know how the unit7 version fits into the history. :?

Here is a listing of the contents I have in the Unit1 set:

UNIT 01 contents.jpg
UNIT 01 contents.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 2422 times

I cannot recall any big differences in the stories, without checking my notes, but there are quite a few. :lol:

Can you read Japanese, ASTROBUDDY?

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Postby ASTROBUDDY » 6 years ago

Unfortunately I am not fluent in Japanese.

The three volumes contained in the set I received as "Mighty Atom: The Early Episodes" contains all the stories you mentioned with the exception of the last four episodes (#s 20-23).

"Test Pilot" as you stated before was published in 3-D.It can be found reprinted in 3-D in the Japanese book known as "All Illustrations of Mighty Atom"and even comes with its' own set of 3-D glasses!

I :heart: :astro: :)

astro-boy-daizukan-all-illustrations-of-mighty-atom-perfect-book-rare-1015-651952f4eaa590dbbc1461be3e7d9d20.jpg
astro-boy-daizukan-all-illustrations-of-mighty-atom-perfect-book-rare-1015-651952f4eaa590dbbc1461be3e7d9d20.jpg (30.9 KiB) Viewed 2403 times

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Hmmm; now I must double check to be sure those 4 were in set 1 instead of set 2.

I just now am looking at UNIT 1, it consists of three magazine-sized books & 6 pocket-sized ones, & the middle-sized Test Pilot. the other three magazine sized ones are Ambassador Atom - flying skyscraper, Sea serpent isle (entirely in 1 volume), and Exp to Mars through Robot bombs. Ghost Manufacturing machine is in one small book, Black Looks, in another. I already forgot about the other small books' content. :lol:

There are separate photos or post cards, & several other small & flat things.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Astrobuddy, If you post pictures of the contents (covers, only), I will send you a transcript / translation of Ambassador Atom (MS Word, table format with panel numbers)> I think it gives the general idea, though google & Bing are poor at translating dialog. :P

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

I am not sure what you are asking for as I already posted the cover of the volumes in this set earlier on this post (Mighty Atom: The Early Episodes).

Again there are three volume. Vol.# 1 features the stories as featured in your post above as follows: (and they use the original titles. For Ex. Volume# 1 features "Captain Atom" thru "Flying Skyscraper"! Volume # 2 has "Leader of the Mars Expedition" thru "Case of Midoro Swamp", but "Sea Serpent Isle" appears under its original title, "Mighty Atom Goes Along The Equator" in Volume # 2! Volume# 3 contains:"Fuhrer ZZZ" thru "Duel On The Alps."! Each volume is a different size. What I do is pull the corresponding Dark Horse volume as these are the official versions and compare them to the original Japanese version.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I really do not know of any images of 3 volumes. :unsure: I must be stupid, because I could only find the slip case cover earlier in page #4. I really do not want to open my sets, as they are investments (I hope!) :D Anyway, if you want the transcripts/translations, send me your email address in a PM. I will gladly send you the Word file, & hope to have discussions on the story with you.

BTW, I received 2 wrapped items for each order, one of which was a single page of manga. Without checking, I would say it is from FLYING SKYSCRAPER.

ASTROBUDDY
Robot President

Here is the cover! I'll send you a PM soon!

Attachments
ASTRO BOY EARLY ADVENTURES.jpg
ASTRO BOY EARLY ADVENTURES.jpg (49.52 KiB) Viewed 2305 times

jeffbert
Minister of Science

ATOM EARLY EPISODES F, SMALL.jpg
ATOM EARLY EPISODES F, SMALL.jpg (83.58 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
ATOM EARLY EPISODES R.jpg
ATOM EARLY EPISODES R.jpg (67.68 KiB) Viewed 2283 times

BASED ON THE FACT of the serial number & that I ordered this no less than 3 weeks ago, I assume this is now out of print.

here is the one end view:
ATOM EARLY EPISODES E2, SMALL, P1.jpg
ATOM EARLY EPISODES E2, SMALL, P1.jpg (105.56 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
ATOM EARLY EPISODES E2, SMALL, P2.jpg
ATOM EARLY EPISODES E2, SMALL, P2.jpg (88.06 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
ATOM EARLY EPISODES E2, SMALL, P3.jpg
ATOM EARLY EPISODES E2, SMALL, P3.jpg (81.51 KiB) Viewed 2283 times

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Lastly, the binding sides of the 3 volumes:
ATOM EARLY EPISODES E1, SMALL, P1.jpg
ATOM EARLY EPISODES E1, SMALL, P1.jpg (46.09 KiB) Viewed 2282 times
ATOM EARLY EPISODES E1, SMALL, P2.jpg
ATOM EARLY EPISODES E1, SMALL, P2.jpg (52.02 KiB) Viewed 2282 times

As I want to keep the set sealed, I cannot show the covers of the individual volumes. :hyo:

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 6 years ago

You mean you're not going to read it?
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Return to “Astro Boy Discussion”