New members, please introduce yourselves here

Off topic discussion.
Robin
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Robin » 11 years ago

"watcherblue" wrote:gday all, I've just joined,looking for advice on what to read or how to read Astro boy, I guess someone will tell me (and someone will tell me sumthin else) and (stay strong andrew ..and enjoy! every day!)

lol welcome watcherblue! Thank you for joining us! And I am always strong :)

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

Welcome Andrew_Wiggin, SOPikaMeowMeow and watcherblue!

I've moved your dicussion from yesterday here :)

Creating a new topic is very simple; at the topc and at the bottom of each forum, click on this button: Image

watcherblue: I think the manga is slowly selling out, but it's still possible to buy many (and perhaps all if you buy them used). You might also like Pluto.
Last edited by Astro Forever on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 11 years ago

Thanks for the advice, and sorry about that.

I totally recommend Pluto. It's a great book. You might want to go and watch the episode it was made for first (The World's Greatest Robot). It'll clear up some confusion about the characters if you haven't already gotten that far in the series.

MrsEclipse
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby MrsEclipse » 11 years ago

Hi! I'm glad to be here. Let me say a few things about why I wanted to be a part of such a community.

I'm brand-new to Astro Boy in general. My Dad used to watch the show when he was a kid so I've always known about it, and as a fan of animation and comics I've known and respected Osamu Tezuka, but I only really started Astro Boy on my own about a month ago. I watched Episode 50 of the 2003 series online and haven't stopped since.

My favorite character is Dr. Tenma. I watched the first episode of the 60s series a few years ago and was interested in the "Dr. Boyton" I saw, thinking that his character was pretty deep for an old cartoon. Dad was chuckling at the ridiculous absurdity of being angry that a robot doesn't grow, but I was all, well, I'm pretty sure he never properly grieved for his son and just repressed his emotions, and now they're coming up to the surface (I later confirmed this to be the case- yes?) When I found out he didn't appear again, I promptly lost interest. I was actually looking up his character recently for the show I do and found out he was featured prominently in other versions, which is where I got started.

My favorites are the 2003 series, the English comics I read from Dark Horse, and the 2009 movie (surprisingly, my Dad liked it too! I expected him to have no interest, since it bears no resemblance to the show he watched, features actors he doesn't like, and he never really liked sci-fi where robots have personalities for no adequately explored reason.) I like the first two series just fine, but like I said, my favorite character is Tenma and he doesn't appear much there. I'm aware that the 2003 series is all whacked out in English, but I don't "watch" cartoons so much as I "listen" to them, and I have a rotten ear for languages other than the English I barely speak coherently, so I just go by an episode guide and move on with my life.

I've been lurking for almost a month now. I never post unless what I want to say is 1) relevent, 2) hasn't been said in the thread yet, and 3) is unlikely to be misunderstood by a reasonable person, so I don't generally have much of a forum presence. But I wanted to have an account ready because I keep thinking of things I want to say. It takes me forever to do captchas.
Baby, don't let it slip, it's a once in a lifetime ship and it's never gonna come again...

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 11 years ago

Welcome to the forum, MrsEclipse! Interesting to read your backstory.

I, too, signed up for this forum when I had just became a fan of Astro Boy. I've learned quite a few things from the members of this forum about the series since then.

I hope you enjoy your stay here! :)

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 11 years ago

Hello, MrsEclipse!
It's nice to have you on the forum. :)

I'm sure we wouldn't mind knowing what you have to say. You should feel free to post replies when you want, but you obviously don't have to. I just thought I'd put that out there. Besides, you can't possibly be any worse than me when it comes to chatting - especially online. I've only been for like a month yet I've accumulated over 200 posts. :p (such a chatterbox)

Hope you have fun with us!

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

Welcome MrsEclipse! :)

Sporkia
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Sporkia » 11 years ago

Hello, citizens of the Astro Boy forum!
Well, I'm not really "new," exactly. I was actually here for short time a good few years ago, and I've actually still been lurking here and reading threads long after I stopped posting, but I figured I'd come back because I'm more mature now and I feel like I can add more to the discussions. Not to mention, I've really gotten back into the series recently, and I could use some friends to share my love of it with. So I figured, since this is a fresh start, I would post something here as opposed to just randomly coming in on any thread without warning.

For a little bit of info (so I don't seem too creepy for lurking for so long), I actually got into this series a long time ago through Astro Boy: Omega Factor. My friend had it, and I used to watch him play it occasionally. Years later though, during the peak of my anime craze in middle school, I decided to watch the first few episodes of the 60s series while it was still on Adult Swim and fell in love with it. I ended up watching the movie later on and decided to compare it to the original series. And in that quest, I ended up marathoning all three series and stumbled upon this forum when I was done. :P That is the extremely abridged version of how I got into this fandom, anyway.

As for some fandom/forum-relevant stuff, the 60s series is my favorite with the 80s coming at a very close second. I'm also a HUGE fan of Cobalt (who is one of my absolute favorite characters out of anything I've read or watched) and I do a lot of doodles and comics and things (And not just Astro Boy-related). So at some point in the near-ish future, you'll probably see an art thread from me.

And just as a side note, I may be a little awkward at first, because it's been awhile since I've properly been integrated into a fandom, but I've done a lot of research and overanalyzing, so I do know my stuff and I hope to be a good contributor and get to know you guys outside of just lurking around. :)

Little Brown Fox
On a Flight into Space

Postby Little Brown Fox » 11 years ago

I recognized your username- welcome back! I also find your avatar somewhat familiar. May I say that you have great taste? :D (it's so cute *squeeeee*) Seriously, what episode was that from?

Major Cobalt fan over here, myself, even though I hardly know anything about him. ^-^ AprilSeven is very much the same (although she's much more knowledgable, I'm sure).
Last edited by Little Brown Fox on Sun May 12, 2013 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
lolwut

Sporkia
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Sporkia » 11 years ago

Oh gosh, Hi, Little Brown Fox! It's really nice to find other Cobalt fans around here! Especially since the fandom is literally quite dead everywhere else. ._.;

And thank you! My icon is from 84, "Brother Jetto." If you're ever interested in a Cobalt icon of your own, I should have a few other icons floating around in my folders somewhere. :D

Return to “General Discussion”