Obscure Anime You Should Watch

Off topic discussion.
Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

Thread is in need of more obscure anime reviews, I shall provide what I personally find to be obscure.

Warning: This review sucks.

Totsuzen! Neko no Kuni Banipal Witt / Catnapped!

Year: 1995
Span: One movie, around 75 minutes.
Rating: E for Everyone, but there may be some light innuendo in this one scene, I can't quite tell.

Summary: 10-year old Toriyasu and his little sister Meeko own a dog named Papadoll who has disappeared for little over a week. Meeko believes that their dog was kidnapped by aliens and Toriyasu just mocks her for her ideas. However on their way through town, Meeko discovers a trio of cats who are strangely wearing clothing. Later that night, they are visited by these three cats who take the two children to their cat world "Banipal Witt" via their cat balloon, the Tomcat, asking for their assistance. Once they arrive they discover that Banipal Witt's sun will turn outsiders into cats, which the two children are immediately transformed into, and that any outsiders who are touched by the sun's rays on the second day will then turn into monsters.

As it turns out, a cat named DohDoh had kidnapped Papadoll, who had turned into a flying monster dog by the sun, and is now controlling him to cause chaos and destruction in Banipal Witt. Thus why Toriyasu and Meeko were taken here, the cats feel that only Papadoll's owners can save him. Unfortunately they also have another problem, the wicked Princess Buburina, who can turn any living thing she touches into balloons, also intends to destroy Banipal Witt with the use of Papadoll and her curse.

Review: From a first glance and my not-so-great summary of the film, most people would say that this would be pretty darn weird. And frankly, it kinda is. Banipal Witt is defined mostly as a 'bright, dream-like world of colors and abstracts", literally. However this is also what makes the film, in my opinion, fun and enjoyable and, dare I say it, full of ADVENTURE. It also does have some of its more deeper moments, such as when the usually-pessimistic Toriyasu starts to get flashbacks of how he mistreated his dog.

When I first rented the DVD of this years ago, I found it to be epic. Now after watching it again, it could have used a little more, but I find that some of its other themes makes up for it. What you'll probably notice the most is that the film is pretty short and does not fully elaborate on some characters' backstories, most notably the story of the "Forbidden love between the cat and the mouse", which was only mentioned once and no story was given on it at all.

Despite those, the film does still have it's good positive points. I'd especially like to also say that the dub is actually pretty faithful to the original, and that they actually bothered to keep the ending theme song. And even if the dub isn't for you, subs also exist for this as well.

One thing I'd also like to point out is that the opening theme and ending theme animations were created entirely by the use of creative stop animation, and that's what I find makes this film really stand out from others.

All in all, I personally think this movie is pretty enjoyable for almost everyone, and is very family-friendly. It'll certainly appeal more to younger viewers though.

Availability: Back in 2000, a DVD along with subs was released. A newer edition with a red tag was then released in 2004, which I think also contains a mini art pamphlet inside (Think art book, but much smaller). Both DVDs are unfortunately out of print but should be fairly easy to find. There were also VHS tapes, and as far as I know, there was one with the dub and another with subs, but I can't really confirm this for myself.

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 13 years ago

Oh snap! *is shot* I remember seeing that when I was a kid! IT WAS EPIC!

Haven't seen it in a loooong time. Time to hunt for the DVD.

EDIT: Hurrah! It's on Youtube! (With English subs no less!) The opening reminds me of Chowder xD
Last edited by The Tawashi Bus Hat on Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*dust*

InsaneAstroBoyLover
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby InsaneAstroBoyLover » 13 years ago

I love that movie! Its been a loooooooooonnnggggg time

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 13 years ago

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but I recommend Serial Experiment Lain

It's about a girl called Lain and bizzare happenings in the Wired, the series term for the internet but on a level where people can connect virtually. Someone in her class has died by jumping off a building, but students are still getting e-mails from her, claiming she is not dead but has simply given up her body and now lives inside the Wired where a 'God' is, the series term for the internet. Lain too gets an e-mail, and later after becomes interested in the Wired but in doing so, the line between reality and digital blur as something else is afoot.

The series is only 13 episodes long, but it's got this weird sci fi/physiological feel to it that leaves you questioning every that's happening to Lain, that you wind up wanting to keep watching to reach the final episode. It's only once it's over and you watch again do you finally understand.

The stuff that happens to Lain is something most might connect to if you've ever felt alone (In fact, if I could describe my inner child or that part of me locked inside, it'd be somewhat like her.)

But serious, you should all check out the series sometime. It's worth the watch

There was also a ps1 video game released in Japan, it's hinted to be prequel to the anime but takes a darker outlook.

Astronomical girl
Banned

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

Another Anime i grew up with that i forgot to mention :d oh:
Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne
16-year-old high-school gymnast Maron Kusakabe is visited by the angel Finn Fish, who gives her a task. God's power is scattered across the Earth, and if He does not gather enough by the turn of the millennium, He will die. To block Him, The Devil had sent out agents to gather His power, which is the beauty in human hearts, in the form of chess pieces. With Finn's assistance, Maron transforms into the reincarnation of Jeanne D'Arc in order to hunt Demons hidden within works of art. When Maron defeats a Demon, the artwork disappears, and to the outside world it is as if she has stolen it, and she becomes known as a kaitō ("phantom-thief"). Maron's best friend is Miyako, the daughter of a police detective in charge of Jeanne's case.

As the series progresses, Maron and Miyako fall in love with new classmate Chiaki, who wants to stop Maron collecting the chess pieces, for he knew that Fin Fish is the Da-Tenshi (Fallen Angel), but apparently in the form of normal angel. Chiaki at first "fakes" falling in love to get closer to Maron, knowing Maron is Jeanne. Later he falls in love truthfully after realising that Maron is worth the effort, even if she does "hate" him. Maron, on the other hand, is confused and does not know what "love" means because her parents abandoned her when she was around ten years old because they were having problems getting along, so no one taught her. As a result, she does not know how to respond to Chiaki's advances. When Maron collects the pawns, (the chess pieces) Fin says that Maron's mission is ended and gives her a angel feather. But even though Fin said that demons won't be appearing on earth, Noin and Myst, A Demon knight, sends a stronger demon in the world. Maron's feather somehow turns into a Rosary, so Maron can turn into Jeanne without Fin's help. Noin, the demon knight, turns into Maron's student teacher and makes Maron's relationship with Chiaki worse, but they overcome that. And as Maron spends her time with Chiaki, she realises that Chiaki is not a bad guy after all. She is deeply hurt, however, when she learns that Chiaki is her rival, Sinbad, and that he only went after her because he knew she was Jeanne. Chiaki wants to explain, but Maron won't listen. Soon, Fin comes back, turned into a Queen, a Da-Tenshi, with loads of demons. Noin, who was Jeanne d'ark's lover, confesses to Maron, and they somehow go back to the time before Jeanne d'ark's trial, when she was in a jail. But Maron had no intention of being Jeanne, for she is heartbroken when she realises that Fin was Da-Tenshi. Jeanne d'ark tells Maron to have more faith in God. Access, another Teshi, (who has a crush on Fin,) tells Maron that Fin has been brainwashed by demons when she got captured. Then Chiaki explains that he tried to stop Maron from getting the chess pieces for he knew that it will cause a lot of problems when Fin returns, and Maron realises that her thinking was wrong. Queen, who tries to kill Jeanne, attacks her, but Noin, protects Maron, for he has sworn to Jeanne d'ark that he would protect Maron even if he dies. Noin, sacrifices himself, but Maron, who became more fearless and courageous, tells Fin that Maron loves her. Fin, who was brainwashed, remembers her memory with Maron and turns back to Tenshi again. The last chapter finishes as Maron opens her mailbox, which contains her parent's mail.

the series ran 7 manga volumes
and 44 anime episodes

I watched it growing up in Belgium,my sister was a big fan of it just like she was with sailor moon but when it ended my sister and i broke down in tears :lol:
Last edited by Astronomical girl on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: something i forgot to add
Unyongnekasayo

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 13 years ago

@Alittleacorn- The shorter series's have the most impact IMO. I've seen Lain - totally rocked my mind. 0_0

@Astronomical Girl- I have the manga for Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, but I've never seen the show... Maybe I should check it out. :3
*dust*

Astronomical girl
Banned

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

the series has 44 episodes,so it was pretty interesting so was the anime art ;)
Unyongnekasayo

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 13 years ago

I've just checked and Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne is available completely in English by CMX Manga. They unfortunately shut down this summer, so get it while you can. They left From Eroica With Love in the dust, too...

Also! My obscure anime reviews were delayed by exams, plus there's one title I've wanted to mention, but I'm only at the fourth episode out of thirteen (despite owning the whole thing for four months).
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 13 years ago

Hey, you guys know how I couldn't update this thread because I was busy trying to finish an anime for this list? This is what was keeping me busy...

9. Captain Herlock Outside Legend: The Endless Odyssey

Year: 2002
Span: 13 OVA episodes
Rating: T

Summary: It's the 31st century, and Captain Herlock is a notorious space pirate, beloved by poor space colony dwellers and feared by the authorities. Following the arrest of his former comrade Kei Yuki, Herlock and his former shipmates of the Arcadia begin to try and reunite their crew. At the same time, four zombie-like humanoids, possessed dead scientists present on behalf of the Noo race, begin to wreck havoc on the universe's soldiers and colonies. Young Tadashi Daiba comes home to find the Noo have killed his father, and soon he's pulled into joining Herlock's crew to take revenge. With him and Herlock's dozens of trusted crew members, the Captain sets forth to try and literally save the universe.

Review: This is what it looks like when Black Jack and Cowboy Bebop have a baby. Gorgeous scenery of space and run-down country shacks, a stone-cold badass main character, and a jazzy soundtrack all come together into what is arguably the best representation of Leiji Matsumoto's original style. Endless Odyssey is the newest series in a classic franchise (known mostly as Captain Harlock), and its lavish art style and characters make it surprisingly enjoyable. Herlock is lethally cool; he's full of morale and not afraid of anything. There's a scene when a living corpse asks Herlock to hear his story, and Herlock calmly kneels down to listen. From messy-haired male protagonists, to long-limbed, prismatic-eyed beautiful women, to bead-eyed, peanut-like midgets, it's a clash of styles that works quite well. Some people might hate this clash of styles, but just watch the ending theme and its scrolling character mural to get an idea of the feel of the show. I love Matsumoto's style, so this isn't a problem for me.

From the story viewpoint, it's a rather slow-paced, laidback show, but a great amount of details are revealed in each twenty-five minute installment. The battle against the Noo is intense when it needs to be, and the entire Noo story concept is fairly original and well-thought out. The only things I can complain about are how you never know if someone's going to die...since the show had one or two episodes released as OVAs per month, there's cliffhangers that tie you into the next one, and when one character actually dies, you don't know if it's for real. The final episode is a bit half open in a way that might anger some people. Other than that, I'd highly recommend this.

I also recommend for anyone unfamiliar with the previous series of Captain Harlock to do a quick lookup of the reoccurring characters. Little things like "Yattaran loves model kits, Miime is a mouthless alien who lives by absorbing alcohol, Tochiro Oyama was Herlock's best friend who built the Arcadia" being known to you will make certain things in the show make a little more sense.

Availability: The now-dead Geneon America released the whole series onto one box set in 2002, but it's pricey to get a hold on all four discs, let alone the deluxe box set (which includes a bonus disc and pencilboard - mine has Kei, Yattaran and Chief Ilita). The whole series is on Youtube in English at this time of writing.
ImageImageImageImage

Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!

Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

I wouldn't really say Captain Harlock is obscure, but it could use some more views.

Return to “General Discussion”