TV shows

Off topic discussion.
Triple
Kokoro Robot

Postby Triple » 21 years ago

Apart from Astro Boy, which other tv shows did you watch as a kid growing up? :)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 21 years ago

Saturday morning: Jetsons, Scooby Doo, Spaceghost and Dinoboy, Marineboy, Pink Panther, Warner Bros cartoons, Woody Woodpecker, Schoolhouse Rock, Snagglepuss, and Astroboy. Oh, I must not forget all the Andersons’ stuff: Stingray, Fireball X L5, UFO, Space 1999. Ok, I know Space 1999 was not a Saturday morning show, but I believe the other two were. Then we got a tv that actually got UHF stations!! Meaning, weekday afternoons were filled Speed Racer, Ultraman, Johhny Sokko, and whatever the local non-network station showed. There was a kiddy oriented Host for the afternoon. Captain 20 tried his best to look like he had just beamed down from the starship Enterprise; this same guy donned a Dracula costume for Saturday night’s “Creature Feature” horror film. I think he called himself “Gore DeVol”. The local ABC affiliate showed afternoon movies from 4 to 6, and about five or six times a year showed “The Battle of the Bulge”, which was my favorite, until I saw Kelly’s Heroes, because it had the most tanks. Kelly’s Heroes seemed to have a real Tiger Tank, but after seeing it on VHS, and pausing, I could clearly see that it (the same one featured in “Saving Private Ryan”) was a T-34 with Tiger make-up.
:D

Scary Shows:
I remember awakening one night to use the potty, and mom and my older sister were watching A. Hitchcock’s “the Birds”. When I now look at the same shows that absolutely terrified me as a little kid, I find them often funny. The Twilight Zone, The Outer Limits, and others I cannot recall terrified me such that even to hear the opening theme music sent me running for the safety of my bed. I always was sure to completely close my closet before climbing into bed, lest a car drive down the street, and light flash across the things in the closet, making them seem to be moving! Oh, to be a kid again! :cry:

What terrified me as a kid:
The thing that most frightened me was quicksand (quagmire). The idea of the earth itself swallowing me was very scary. I remember seeing a Tarzan movie or show, and this guy fell into quicksand. I was too scared to see if he got out! I ran to my room and hid under my covers! I still get a shiver when seeing or reading about it. I was reading “the New Arabian Nights”, which had quite a few short stories in it, one of which featured it. At 43, I would have thought myself too old for such childish fears, but just reading about it made me uneasy. Now my biggest fear is decrepitude. Arthritis is taking its toll.

Playtime:
Nevertheless, when we played with our GI Joes (12 inches tall type), quicksand or quagmire usually played a part. We would sink the victim between the bed and the wall, or sometimes in a sleeve of a coat. Any other GI Joes who were trying to rescue him most often arrive just a wee bit too late! I had about ten figures, including two Johhny West (Marx toys), five or six with the classic scar on the cheek, one like a Johnny West, except that he was a modern American soldier ‘Stoney’, one Captain Action, one with “lifelike hair and beard”, one with “kung fu grip”, and one that was European (had no scar, and had a different face). I had four jeeps: two Rat Patrol with tan and 50 caliber machinegun on tripod, one with searchlight and recoilless rifle, both mounted on tripods (searchlight was in a trailer), the fourth jeep went with the ‘Stoney’.

:D

Then there was my other great love: LEGO bricks. And that was way before they came out with any of these specialty sets. They were just plain old bricks. I did have a set that had gears, but I preferred the simple stuff. We used army men from model kits and built some really large vehicles for them. I was quickly becoming too old to play with the stuff, though.

Games:
Monopoly, Operation, BASH!, checkers, I did not learn chess until middle school. And still my favorite: Scrabble. I have several occasions when I had two seven letter words that also touched triple word scores. But my dad had one word that not only used all seven of his tiles, not only was on one triple word score, but actually spanned two triple word scores. Nevertheless, I think I had the highest score for a single play: 135 points. This was only possible by some other player foolishly playing a word that ended just before the corner space (a triple word score). Thus, I was able to form two or more words with one single play, and both or two of them shared the triple word score space. Sorry to go on for so long, but one thing led to another!! :wahah: :D :P B) ;) :)

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 21 years ago

For cartoons, I used to watch Star Blazers, Battle Of The Planets, Mysterious Cities Of Gold, Danger Mouse, Ulysses 31, Warner Bros, and those short five minute fogeign ones with no names. Like the one with the guy who was a pencil outline and would talk gibberish to the hand that drew him, and Le Croc Note Show.

Other shows I watched were Dr Who, 21 Jump Street, Degrassi Junior High, and Morph. Later on The Wonder Years. I'm sure I used to watch more TV, I just can't remember what.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I forgot about Dr. Who, but I had little interest in it. :D

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Dr Who was cool, in a retro kind of way. My grandma has just knitted me a Dr Who scarfe. :)

The Goodies and Bananaman were others I used to watch. And Monkey Magic, that show rocked.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I am surprised that given the boring plots of many Dr. Who episodes, that it lasted so long. OK, so I know of only one episode that I actually watched. This friend of mine is nuts about Dr. Who, and he showed me one that I thought really stank, but was funny in that it stank so much. He assured me that most eps also were quite dull and stupid. The thing had these spiders that somehow controlled people. The sfx were totally lame, and therefore funny, but the plot was too dull! After viewing that, I had no dersire to view other eps.

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

I don't know what it was about Dr Who that made me like it. It's not the kind of series that could be made these days; time travel has been done to death by Star Trek and its kind, always with the focus on temporal paradoxes (Time Cop, 7 Days, etc). As for the "special effects", they worked wonders with their tiny budget. Of course, totally crap by today's standards. I'd love to watch it again though, but only the episodes I've already seen - for old times sake.

Triple
Kokoro Robot

Postby Triple » 21 years ago

Dr Who didn't seem to appeal to me at all and I think part of it was because I found the intro disturbing in a hauntingly retro kind of way...(if that makes sense :huh :)

Anyway, I recall watching shows like Degrassi, 21 Jump St & Monkey Magic too. Plus Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Garfield, Babar, The Smurfs. There was He-man as well and a few other morning cartoons that I can't think of right now. :D

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I can see how a little kid would be frightened by its opening credits sequence. :D

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

I was more scared of that painter from Sesame Street. That guy who was always speeded up and the number he painted always got washed away. Creepy. :huh: :o :( :cry:
;)

Return to “General Discussion”