Favorite author

Off topic discussion.
Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 19 years ago

I was just wondering who is your favorite author? I like Tom Clancy and Dale Brown. I'm still waiting on Dale Brown to write a new book. Tom Clancy is going through a divorce so he won't be writing any more books for now. At least with Jack Ryan in them.

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 19 years ago

One of my favourite authors is Terry Pratchett. He has quite an unique writing style, which is humorous and thrilling at the same time.

Here is a former topic about him.
「頼むから、仕事をさせてくれ」
- 手塚治虫先生の最後の言葉

Loüßëãr
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Loüßëãr » 19 years ago

I love John Grisham, especially the Chamber. It was a really good book. I think the last book I read that really got me in was Primal Fear by William Deihl. The movie with RIchard Gere was good but the book was really good. I know this is probably for the ladies here but Maeve Binchey is a really good author too, but she's more romance. She writes about Ireland around the 40's, 50's & 60's. But she is such a great author. But as long as its a good story, I will probably like it ;) :D B)

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 19 years ago

Douglas Hill and Douglas Adams.

I highly recommend NaNoWriMo to everyone. Keep November free!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 19 years ago

Last thing I read other than manga, was I. Asimov. I think there is a quality present in older works that lacks in newer one, but I have not read any newer ones lately. I think I really like the older things because it is so interesting to see how these authors envisioned the world in which we now live. Space guns and gravity shields! :lol: Insectiods living in the moon, dinosaurs living on a S. American plateau, and similar creatures living at the {b]Center of the Earth[/b] and the Earth's Core, giant squids attacking nuclear submarines which get almost crushed between icebergs. :D Cool stuff!

Big Astro Fan
Robot President

Postby Big Astro Fan » 19 years ago

Right now I'm reading Harold Coyle's book Against All Enemies. I just finished chapter 2. I still have two books to read after this one. I'm catching up on his books until Dale Brown's new book comes out. I like books that have the same charaters thoughout the series. It lets you get to know the character as they go through life.

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 19 years ago

I just read Moby Dick over and over :D

When I used to read other books I loved Russell Hoban (both his adult and children literature)
H.P. Lovecraft (more for his writing than Cthulu)
Aldous Huxley
blah blah blah, adult literature is boring...

But CHILDREN LITERATURE is KING!
Tove Jansson
Kenji Miazawa
Langerloff (can't remember her first name or even if I've spelled her last name correctly)
Robert O'Brein
Kenneth Graham

And though he isn't even fiction, Loren Eiseley will is OFF THE HOOK!

*sigh* I USED to read...
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Originally posted by O2Destroyer@Apr 22 2005, 01:36 PM

My brother read that and he said it was one of the most boring books he'd ever read. Not even worth reading just to say you've read it! :huh:

O2Destroyer
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby O2Destroyer » 19 years ago

Originally posted by DrFrag+Apr 22 2005, 03:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (DrFrag @ Apr 22 2005, 03:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--O2Destroyer@Apr 22 2005, 01:36 PM

My brother read that and he said it was one of the most boring books he'd ever read. Not even worth reading just to say you've read it! :huh: [/b][/quote]
Hahaha! Yes, Moby Dick is sort of like a disease. All the sane people will reject it as boring. I think that is probably a sane response. The first chapter maps it out how people are drawn inexplicably to water, down streams and rivers and at last to the sea. If you don't feel the sea calling you deep down in your bones and feel no reason to read a book that is more about experience, texture, feeling and even tiny and obscure details all surrounding the act of being at sea (and perhaps what that has to do with what it is to be human), and very little to do with any actual story, then no, Moby Dick is not just a bad book, it almost isn't even a book at all. It is more like 400 pages of sea journal (and reflection), bookended by a little story regarding a whale that has been made, from time to time, into a film that utterly misses the point of what Moby Dick is about. Not that I've penetrated Joyce, but I take it that Moby Dick is a sort of maritime Ulysses; whatever that means...
Bombs vs. bombs, missiles vs. missiles and now a new super weapon to throw upon us all!

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

I'm glad it can be appreciated on some level! :D I've never felt any kind of calling from the sea or been drawn to it. I think hills and mountains are more my thing.

Return to “General Discussion”