The inadequacy of search function

Off topic discussion.
jeffbert
Minister of Science

The inadequacy of search function

Postby jeffbert » 15 years ago

I have had it with the total lameness of this forum's search function! :mad: I must often resort to googling with "astroboy-online" among the search parameters. Too many terms are simply ignored, & even when none are, the search simply fails to find the sought thread.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 15 years ago

I agree, we might as well not have any search function. :unsure:

It worked well until we upgraded a long time ago. I recall one member saying at one point that maybe the index was screwed up, and that there might be a way to restore it. If somebody is knowledgeable, please help, otherwise, I'll do some ressearch myself.

In the meantime, I use the "Archive" link at the bottom right of every page. It shows many titles on each page so when I remember the title, it goes really fast because there are just about 5 or 6 pages.

Of course, it's not helpful at all for anything other than titles. :cry:

Astro Forever
Administrator

I've just sent an e-mail to Mark. :)

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 15 years ago

Ditto, the search function here is merely a practical joke.
I believe the function has been unconsciously corrupted by us Astro maniacs. Any search term that doesn't include the word 'Astro' is consequently invalid.
:D

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 15 years ago

What else would an Astroboy fanatic need to search anyway? ;) :p :blush:
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Mark
Administrator

Postby Mark » 15 years ago

I had no idea search was acting up. I kicked off the re-indexing process earlier this morning and it's hopefully finished by now (I had to get to work so I just left it running).

Give searching a shot now and let me know what you think.

Astro Forever
Administrator

I've just tried two very specific searches and unlike before, THEY BOTH GAVE ME ACCURATE RESULTS!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

Hopefully more people will validate that it's indeed working really well and that I'm not getting too excited too fast... ;)

Thank you so much Mark!! :D I'm not quite sure why we waited so long...

Mark
Administrator

Postby Mark » 15 years ago

The indexing process died about half way through, so I re-ran it again last night (hence the forum closure). Everything should be back to normal now.

Return to “General Discussion”