Transformers

Off topic discussion.
Daichi
Robot President

Transformers

Postby Daichi » 15 years ago

Yep, I don't recall if we had one of these threads.

I'm sure that you've all seen it at one point in your lives, if you're not still keeping up with it the way I am, and you certainly saw the movie. After all, it's about sentient robots, same as Astro Boy, and it seems to me everyone here loves those, amirite?

I'm rewatching the original series and Beast Wars right now, and anxiously awaiting the debut of Transformers: Animated season 3 come spring.

I am a particular fan of Starscream, Bumblebee, Jazz (but not in TF:A), and Prowl, myself.

Discuss.
"You will never understand how this feels. Look at me, I'm neither truly human nor truly robot. I'm a monster."
-Atlas

Ninjatron
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Ninjatron » 15 years ago

When the movie came out last year the Associated Press did an article about Transformers fans and I was interviewed for it. It's still floating around the Internet. So, yeah, to say I'm a huge fan would be an understatement.

I have many favorite characters and I don't really have preference over any particular era, but I'm kind of tired of G1 so I like the newer stuff a lot.

Sayonara.
Image Image
Image Image

Daichi
Robot President

Postby Daichi » 15 years ago

Hah, lucky you! Great to see a fellow fan.
I'm practically obsessed right now, myself.

Are you looking forward to TF:A season 3? You always seem to have the latest on everything, can you tell me if they've confirmed any new characters for the show? I'd love to see the Lambo twins and Wheeljack show up, personally.
"You will never understand how this feels. Look at me, I'm neither truly human nor truly robot. I'm a monster."

-Atlas

Ninjatron
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Ninjatron » 15 years ago

Yeah, new characters for next season are an interesting lot. They're stretching way beyond G1 now. Some might just be cameos or one-off appearances or even just background characters, but off the top of my head I know these.

Rodimus
Hot Shot
Strika
Blackout (as in the chopper from the movie)
Galvatron (might be a different character than Megatron?)
And I few others I can't remember.

You can see Strika and Rodimus here: http://www.transformersclub.com/
I guess they're the only ones 100% confirmed. There's some model sheet art floating around for a few others too. Blackout looks interesting, like the Decepticon equivalent to Bulkhead. I can't find it right now.

There are also two jet characters, Jetfire and Jetstorm, who combine symmetrically (like Choryujin from GaoGaiGar) into a robot called Safegaurd. They both have the same basic body with different heads. Jetfire is orange with a head detailed like old-style flight goggles. He has a fire gimmick. Jetstorm looks sort of like the Beast Machines character of the same name. Same blue+yellow color scheme. He has an ice gimmick. The toys are packaged together and should be out early next year, I think.

Oh, and Waspinator is likely in it, of course. Pictures of the toy are floating out there along with Prowl with his sidecar/samuari armor.

It's a long wait for new episodes. I only just watched the show recently after the entire run thus far was finished. I liked it ok but I wasn't in a rush to watch it when it aired, so I can wait for the next batch.

Sayonara.
Image Image
Image Image

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 15 years ago

"Daichi" wrote:I'm sure that you've all seen it at one point in your lives, if you're not still keeping up with it the way I am, and you certainly saw the movie. After all, it's about sentient robots, same as Astro Boy, and it seems to me everyone here loves those, amirite?
I saw the beginning of the opening credits of the very first Astroboy episode to be broadcast in my area. Only the first few seconds of it because I immediately thought, "ah, a robot story... that's a little boys' series". :shifty:

I missed a few episodes after that one, I don't know how many, maybe just one more, maybe 4 to 5. Then one day for some reason I remained in front of the TV and instantly fell in love. :wub:

I always missed the first episode when there were reruns because I never knew when they were coming. For almost 15 years, I remembered how I left the room and what I thought when I first saw Astroboy, and I regretted it so much... :cry: Sounds funny, but I did think of it a lot! :lol:

So, no... never watched the Transformers, but maybe I'd have loved it if I had. At first glance it just didn't seem very interesting to me. I don't recall any of my female friends watching it either.

I'm not going to try now, I really think I'm too old to be able to appreciate it.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 15 years ago

I had the 1st few comic books, but that was over 20 years ago. I think either Pook (Buck) or Princess Odette (Lollypop) was the 1st morphing robot to appear in Astroboy manga, some 25 years before Transformers comics.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 15 years ago

So here is the question: does "morphing" equals "transforming" ?
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 15 years ago

I think transforming is a mechanical change, and morphing is a chemical change.

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 15 years ago

"DrFrag" wrote:I think transforming is a mechanical change, and morphing is a chemical change.

Well, no. Ferrofluids are morphable, but through magnetic fields, not chemical reactions.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles

Star Wars - Exile

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 15 years ago

Haha, I should have known better than to try to answer your question! :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”