Roy Disney

Off topic discussion.
dannavy85
Banned

Roy Disney

Postby dannavy85 » 14 years ago

Roy passed away yesterday. If anyone did as much to save a floundering company, he did when he gave his father's son-in-law the boot in 1984 after that idiot almost bankrupted Disney.

With Roy came new blood, fresh animation, fresh ideas and a return to the classic goodness that Disney had held through most of the 20th Century.

Good work Roy, you'll be missed.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 14 years ago

I heard. That was so sad :( At least he made it long enough to see Disney return to 2D

Laughing Dragon
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Laughing Dragon » 14 years ago

Roy Disney almost single-handedly kept the Disney animation unit from shutting down at the end of the 1980's as I understand it...and helped usher in the Second Golden Age of Disney, with movies like Aladdin, Lion King and (my fave) Beauty and the Beast.

I know he's with his parents, and his uncle Walt, right now in that great Laughing Place in the sky. Goddess bless!

munquibyte
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby munquibyte » 14 years ago

I've missed this thread, so at the risk of looking like a necromancer, I'm going to say that Roy probably had an indirect hand in ousting Eisner as well.

When I was enrolled in the Institute classes at Orlando, we were given a tour of the (unbeknowest to us) doomed 2D studio, which was in the early stages of production of Brother Bear. When the Eisner fiasco broke out, we were encouraged to appeal to Roy, who was one of the few in upper management at the time to care about the studio or us.

Orlando's fate was sealed anyway, but we lost a caring advocate-successful or not.

MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 14 years ago

RIP Roy. :(

Disney has lost Walt's perfect successor. I hope the studio can continue to live on strongly without dear Roy. :(

AstroBoyGF
On a Flight into Space

Postby AstroBoyGF » 14 years ago

whats going to happen now? i mean all of the great ones of animation are dead..disney tezuka-san now roy...whats the fate of the disney world and land plus the animation world? this is a true ending of an era that i an animator in training was proud to live in. thanks to all of the animators of animation and story tellers you will be all missed...RIP

Return to “General Discussion”