Join my fourm!

Off topic discussion.
Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 13 years ago

I joined. I'm UraniumAstroGirl15.
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Bakabits » 13 years ago

"karl0s" wrote:I joined up aswell, looks alright in it's early stages.

thank you for the complement!
"Anime Girl 14" wrote:I joined. I'm UraniumAstroGirl15.

i saw that you joined. hope you enjoy it!

Notices: 1)Once i get more members i will post a moderator apply thread. you will just need to post reasons why you should be a mod on my forum. 2)i am also asking for help from this forum's moderators. they can give me input on how to keep things fun and safe. 3)if you joined my forum plz advertise it to friends! :)
thx for your continued support guys!
Last edited by Bakabits on Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now active on MyAnimeList

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 13 years ago

Sonic can i join please- and if i could love to be a nice sweet moderator if you let me- thanks

Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

"avatargirl" wrote:Sonic can i join please- and if i could love to be a nice sweet moderator if you let me- thanks

sure you can join! :) i dont know about being a moderator though. still deciding who to pick. but join and have fun.

Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

sorry for the double post. i just have to say....... Avatars can now be 100pixels by 100pixels just like this forum. if you want it to be bigger just let me know! :)

Uran-chan
Robot President

Postby Uran-chan » 13 years ago

Hey sonic about the full name will it be showed to the public?

Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

"Uran-chan" wrote:Hey sonic about the full name will it be showed to the public?

i have to change the template.

Vergere
Administrator

Postby Vergere » 13 years ago

"sonicx137" wrote:2)i am also asking for help from this forum's moderators. they can give me input on how to keep things fun and safe.

First you need rules. You need them as a way for your users to know what is acceptable and what isn't. Second you must not be slave of your own rules. Rules don't apply to all cases, and you will probably one day have members who are problematic. Sometimes they infringe rules but you feel they shouldn't be banned, and on the other side some don't infringe rules but are a terrible annoyance. Use your judgement, and don't act too quickly (but don't act too slowly either, this is a delicate balance to find).

You must also be aware of spammers. Sooner or later they will hit your forum, it is only a matter of time. Don't count too much on the CAPCTHA system, as it works for a few months before it is cracked. Spammers don't follow rules, they won't listen to what you say, they don't try to be smart by posting useful advertising where needed, they just post like drones. They are in fact just computer programs spitting their cr*p anywhere they can. Their goal is not to convince their products are the best on the market. In fact, most of the time they don't even sell anything anymore, they just want to drag people on their websites to try to infect their visitors' computers. They target just anyone: members just clicking without thinking are a nice bonus, but their primary target is search bots that will increase their search rankings on search sites (such as Google), that will bring them more victims. The more links they post on various forums, the higher their rankings will go. The more computers they control, the more power they have to either add to their spam capacity or to various cybercrime activities. They don't mind destroying communities in the process, so long as their cr*p remains online for search bots to index.

Most of the time, we have here an average of one spammer per day (usually several days without spammers, then a few spammers in a single day). Some other times we have a lot in a few days. One year and a half ago, we had 50-100 each day for more than a week until Mark blocked the register page!

You can fight them by making your forum uninteresting or useless to them, even though it usually don't have a big impact since they just mindlessly post. The best way to diminish the usefullness of your forum to them is to prevent user details to be seen by guests (but I have seen this is already the case on your forum). Spammers sometimes just create an account, post their spam in the user details, and never come back. With user details invisible for guests, this will have exactly zero impact on the search rankings (but still can catch a few members from times to times). Another way to fight them is... hand to hand combat! When you see one you mercilessly squash it. :mad: Remembering that what you are squashing is a computer program helps a lot not thinking you might be hurting someone's feelings (not that I would personnally mind hurting the feelings of someone who causes such a high level of disruption anyway). The key is relentlessness. You must know that whatever you do the wave will never stop. I'm certain that if the Internet still exists in a hundred years, spammers will too. The only thing we can do is to keep the noise as low as possible. Fortunately, there are some tools to fight them, such as PHP plugins (you should find plenty on the phpBB website, if you don't have one already installed). With such tools, all you need to do is to keep an eye on the few that slip through the net.

I hope I don't have frightened you too much. Have a lot of fun in your forum. :cool:
Last edited by Vergere on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Restless guardian of this forum.

Despair spammer ye who enter here.

AstroRex
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby AstroRex » 13 years ago

Very good advice from you, Vergere, especially concerning the spammers! I am the Admin of a new vbulletin forum myself and I've had to deal with spammers on average about twice or even three times a day since the forum was launched last April, until I recently searched the vbulletin forum on spam control and came across a few tips on blocking and preventing spam on new forums. You can create unique questions which new users must answer when registering, and you can also moderate ALL new users upon registration. That will cut down on the spam a LOT, since 99% of spammers just register, post their crap in a new thread, and then leave your forum. Something to think about...
[sigpic][/sigpic]I was MADE ready!

Bakabits
Rocket Ball Champion

"Vergere" wrote:[QUOTE=sonicx137;102273]2)i am also asking for help from this forum's moderators. they can give me input on how to keep things fun and safe.

First you need rules. You need them as a way for your users to know what is acceptable and what isn't. Second you must not be slave of your own rules. Rules don't apply to all cases, and you will probably one day have members who are problematic. Sometimes they infringe rules but you feel they shouldn't be banned, and on the other side some don't infringe rules but are a terrible annoyance. Use your judgement, and don't act too quickly (but don't act too slowly either, this is a delicate balance to find).

You must also be aware of spammers. Sooner or later they will hit your forum, it is only a matter of time. Don't count too much on the CAPCTHA system, as it works for a few months before it is cracked. Spammers don't follow rules, they won't listen to what you say, they don't try to be smart by posting useful advertising where needed, they just post like drones. They are in fact just computer programs spitting their cr*p anywhere they can. Their goal is not to convince their products are the best on the market. In fact, most of the time they don't even sell anything anymore, they just want to drag people on their websites to try to infect their visitors' computers. They target just anyone: members just clicking without thinking are a nice bonus, but their primary target is search bots that will increase their search rankings on search sites (such as Google), that will bring them more victims. The more links they post on various forums, the higher their rankings will go. The more computers they control, the more power they have to either add to their spam capacity or to various cybercrime activities. They don't mind destroying communities in the process, so long as their cr*p remains online for search bots to index.

Most of the time, we have here an average of one spammer per day (usually several days without spammers, then a few spammers in a single day). Some other times we have a lot in a few days. One year and a half ago, we had 50-100 each day for more than a week until Mark blocked the register page!

You can fight them by making your forum uninteresting or useless to them, even though it usually don't have a big impact since they just mindlessly post. The best way to diminish the usefullness of your forum to them is to prevent user details to be seen by guests (but I have seen this is already the case on your forum). Spammers sometimes just create an account, post their spam in the user details, and never come back. With user details invisible for guests, this will have exactly zero impact on the search rankings (but still can catch a few members from times to times). Another way to fight them is... hand to hand combat! When you see one you mercilessly squash it. :mad: Remembering that what you are squashing is a computer program helps a lot not thinking you might be hurting someone's feelings (not that I would personnally mind hurting the feelings of someone who causes such a high level of disruption anyway). The key is relentlessness. You must know that whatever you do the wave will never stop. I'm certain that if the Internet still exists in a hundred years, spammers will too. The only thing we can do is to keep the noise as low as possible. Fortunately, there are some tools to fight them, such as PHP plugins (you should find plenty on the phpBB website, if you don't have one already installed). With such tools, all you need to do is to keep an eye on the few that slip through the net.

I hope I don't have frightened you too much. Have a lot of fun in your forum. :cool: [/QUOTE]

THANK YOU VERGERE! i am in the process on making a rules thread. i have 1 mod atm. you can find plenty of settings in the admin control right? thx for your help.

also, wanna join?

Return to “General Discussion”