New members, please introduce yourselves here

Off topic discussion.
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Re: Nice (A)TOMeet you! :)

Postby Shiyonasan » 1 year ago

Tobietta wrote:Ciao!! I am happy to have found a site and a forum dedicated to my beloved AstroBoy! I live in Italy and, unfortunately, he is not a very popular character. I am very attached to the TV series of the 80s (obviously I have also read the comics) and, in this period, I am watching the 2003 series. I bought the box set with the episodes of the 2000 series in English because, in Italy, this series did not air. The same fate has struck for the most recent TV series (I know they are aimed at a childish audience, but loving the character I would have watched them anyway). In these days I started reading a splendid Italian book entitled "Anime - A guide to Japanese animation cinema from 1958 to 1969". Atom is on the cover and, even within the book, there is talk of him. I imagine you too, I collect gadgets dedicated to Astro even if, in Italy, it is difficult to find them. Even at the comic fairs, here with me, you can find little or nothing. Recently, at one of these fairs, I found a "fake" gold banknote with Atom printed on it for sale. The only thing there was about him. The rest, of course, I find it online, but I would like the character to be celebrated better. Have any of you visited "The Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum"? I hope to go there next year. I was in Japan a few years ago and, on that occasion, I visited the Ghibli Museum and the Fujiko F. Fujio Museum. Next time it will be the turn of the "God of manga" !! :) Thanks for your attention!! Go Astro Go !! :astro: :heart:

Welcome to the forum! It's good to meet you. :astro:

I merged your topic with our New Members thread in General Discussion.

The 1980s series is my favorite of the bunch. Always liked the art style, music, and stories the best. The 2003 series is also really good.

I have been to the Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum! It was 5 years ago and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Got to walk a bit around the town it's based in as well. It's a quaint little town.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Re: New members, please introduce yourselves here

Postby jeffbert » 1 year ago

Welcome to the forum, Tobietta! There is plenty to see here, topics on all the 2003 episodes, as well as the 1980s, 1960s, & more. If you needs help finding things, just ask. :lol:

DrFrag
Cosmic Ranger

Postby DrFrag » 1 year ago

Welcome, Tobietta! :D

I went to the Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum in 2017 for my birthday. It's great, I'll probably go again some day. Make sure you check their opening calendar, because they're closed on Wednesdays and some other days when they're changing exhibits.

Did you get any tourist stamps while you were in Japan last time? There's a Tezuka Museum stamp at the entrance you can get. I bought a stamp notebook at a temple, but I ended up putting most of my stamps in my travel diary.

Bluebell1995
Kokoro Robot

Re: Nice (A)TOMeet you! :)

Postby Bluebell1995 » 1 year ago

Tobietta wrote:Ciao!! I am happy to have found a site and a forum dedicated to my beloved AstroBoy! I live in Italy and, unfortunately, he is not a very popular character. I am very attached to the TV series of the 80s (obviously I have also read the comics) and, in this period, I am watching the 2003 series. I bought the box set with the episodes of the 2000 series in English because, in Italy, this series did not air. The same fate has struck for the most recent TV series (I know they are aimed at a childish audience, but loving the character I would have watched them anyway). In these days I started reading a splendid Italian book entitled "Anime - A guide to Japanese animation cinema from 1958 to 1969". Atom is on the cover and, even within the book, there is talk of him. I imagine you too, I collect gadgets dedicated to Astro even if, in Italy, it is difficult to find them. Even at the comic fairs, here with me, you can find little or nothing. Recently, at one of these fairs, I found a "fake" gold banknote with Atom printed on it for sale. The only thing there was about him. The rest, of course, I find it online, but I would like the character to be celebrated better. Have any of you visited "The Osamu Tezuka Manga Museum"? I hope to go there next year. I was in Japan a few years ago and, on that occasion, I visited the Ghibli Museum and the Fujiko F. Fujio Museum. Next time it will be the turn of the "God of manga" !! :) Thanks for your attention!! Go Astro Go !! :astro: :heart:

Nice to meet you, Tobietta - very creative name. :) :heart:

Atomheart
Kokoro Robot

Postby Atomheart » 1 year ago

Welcome Tobieta ! Astro Boy is a hero for the whole world !

Tobietta
Kokoro Robot

Postby Tobietta » 1 year ago

Good evening to you all and thank you very much for the warm welcome! Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've been traveling for the last few weeks. I also apologize for posting my "presentation" in the wrong topic: P, sorry again!! ;)

Shiyonasan and DrFrag...It is fantastic to know that you have had the enormous fortune to visit the Osamu Tezuka museum!! Are there any photos of the museum in the forum? What is the thing that you liked the most? DrFrag, no...Unfortunately I did not receive the tourist stamps when I went to Japan! Wow!!! Now I will read the article in the link that you kindly published! A similar thing was done in Italy on the occasion of Expo 2015 in Milan. A passport was bought and then stamps could be obtained in the pavilions dedicated to the various countries of the world.

Jeffbert, Bluebell1995 and Atomheart...Thank you very much for your super welcome !! Jeffbert ... from your profile picture I deduce that you are a fan of the 1960s series, right? ;)

Bluebell1995
Kokoro Robot

Tobietta wrote:Good evening to you all and thank you very much for the warm welcome! Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've been traveling for the last few weeks. I also apologize for posting my "presentation" in the wrong topic: P, sorry again!! ;)

Shiyonasan and DrFrag...It is fantastic to know that you have had the enormous fortune to visit the Osamu Tezuka museum!! Are there any photos of the museum in the forum? What is the thing that you liked the most? DrFrag, no...Unfortunately I did not receive the tourist stamps when I went to Japan! Wow!!! Now I will read the article in the link that you kindly published! A similar thing was done in Italy on the occasion of Expo 2015 in Milan. A passport was bought and then stamps could be obtained in the pavilions dedicated to the various countries of the world.

Jeffbert, Bluebell1995 and Atomheart...Thank you very much for your super welcome !! Jeffbert ... from your profile picture I deduce that you are a fan of the 1960s series, right? ;)

It's quite alright. I've been busy myself. For one thing, I've finally posted an Astro Boy fanfic - after being in the fandom for over a decade. I ought to be ashamed of myself for TAKING SO LONG, but then again, my writing skills weren't good enough back in the 2010s, so maybe this route is for the best.

Anyway. Where in Japan did you go?

Tobietta
Kokoro Robot

Postby Tobietta » 1 year ago

Bluebell1995 wrote:[

My husband and I visited Tokyo. We went to "Tokyo Disneyland" (my favorite Disney park by far!), Ghibli Museum and the magnificent Fujiko F Fujio Museum in Kawasaki. Being a Star Wars fan we also visited a temporary exhibition in Roppongi Hills titled "Star Wars-Visions". We were lucky enough to find it set up during our stay.
Then you will explain better how your fan fiction on Astro "works". Basically you write the subject and what could it become? A book, a film? Sorry but I don't know the world of fan fiction!

Bluebell1995
Kokoro Robot

Tobietta wrote:
Bluebell1995 wrote:[

My husband and I visited Tokyo. We went to "Tokyo Disneyland" (my favorite Disney park by far!), Ghibli Museum and the magnificent Fujiko F Fujio Museum in Kawasaki. Being a Star Wars fan we also visited a temporary exhibition in Roppongi Hills titled "Star Wars-Visions". We were lucky enough to find it set up during our stay.
Then you will explain better how your fan fiction on Astro "works". Basically you write the subject and what could it become? A book, a film? Sorry but I don't know the world of fan fiction!

Fan fiction is an often-misunderstood genre. Some people stereotype all fanfic as being ''self-insert romance with poor writing'' - that is a gross simplification; there is good fanfic and bad fanfic, not all of it contains romance. Mine doesn't - I prefer writing about strong platonic friendships.

Some fanfics are set in the ''world'' of the original work, for example, a Harry Potter fan writes about Harry and Ron chit-chatting and having fun during school break; or a Star Wars fan speculates on Darth Vader's childhood - without contradicting the real Star Wars movies.

Other fanfics ''re-invent'' the original storyline. For example, a Spider-Man fanfic in which Peter Parker was born a girl instead, and grew up in the foster system (I've actually read one like this). How would this New Yorker gal adjust to her new superpowers, and how might her gender and upbringing impact her view on justice and crime-fighting? (This kind of fanfic is known as AU - Alternative Universe - because it changes established facts from the original work. But ideally, an AU story stays true to the ''spirit'' of the original. Female Peter Parker would still be a champion of justice and focused on crime-fighting, so it would be silly for an author to only focus on her romantic life - not to mention, very sexist.)

My own Astro Boy fan fiction falls into the AU category because the ''world'' I created is a blend of different adaptations - namely the 1980s anime, 2003 anime, 2009 film, and PLUTO by Naoki Urasawa. (There are also references to the original manga if you look close enough). I re-envisoned Metro City as an ''ordinary Japanese city with a burgeoning AI tech industry'', instead of the futuristic wonderland seen in most adaptations. In other words, my version of Astro Boy lives in a more ''realistic'' 21st century world. AI robots aren't common yet, so Astro is among the first of his kind.

It's different from what we've seen on TV so far, but I think my idea has potential.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 1 year ago

Tobietta wrote:Good evening to you all and thank you very much for the warm welcome! Sorry for the delay in replying, but I've been traveling for the last few weeks. I also apologize for posting my "presentation" in the wrong topic: P, sorry again!! ;)

Shiyonasan and DrFrag...It is fantastic to know that you have had the enormous fortune to visit the Osamu Tezuka museum!! Are there any photos of the museum in the forum?

No worries for both the delay and posting in the wrong sub-forum! :)

I'm not aware of any Tezuka Museum photos in the forum. I'm not going to share my own photos here due to privacy, but you should be able to find photos of the museum on Google Images.

Return to “General Discussion”