Obscure Anime You Should Watch

Off topic discussion.
Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 13 years ago

"jeffbert" wrote:I remember this one! It seemed that the schools only allowed clubs with a certain minimum # of members, & this club was on the verge of termination for lack of members.

That's right! :lol: The whole club depended on Akane (the girl in blue in my earlier picture) to come to school, and the manga club had pushed aside the divider between either club room so much that the Magic Club had only a closet-sized space to operate in.

For about three years, this was my absolute favourite OVA... :wub:
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Xenops
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Xenops » 13 years ago

Ooh boy! I know a couple!

Seirei no Moribito
Episodes: 24-26ish
Rated: T

Summary: the emperor's son is possessed by a spirit, so the emperor wants to kill him. Fortunately, a female warrior decides to protect the prince. Unfortunately, they have to figure out what to do with the water spirit.

Review: Beautiful animation, and awesome characters. The show just seems wholesome and classy.

Ghost Hunt
Episodes: 24-26ish
Rated: T

Summary: A random troop of paranormal investigators and excisors are commissioned to remove haunting spirits.

Review: A fun balance between humor and horror. Has some shojo elements in it, but they're not overwhelming, and the rest of the show balances it out. It can be gory though.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

Hmm; I do not think Moribito is obscure since it aired on CN's ADULT SWIM. :D

Astronomical girl
Banned

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

Ever heard of "Red River" it never had an anime series but reading it, the story is pretty cool ;)
Unyongnekasayo

Xenops
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Xenops » 13 years ago

Hmm; I do not think Moribito is obscure since it aired on CN's ADULT SWIM.

Oh. :blush: I guess I'll still consider it obscure because I haven't heard of it outside of Adult Swim (or inside, since I don't watch TV).

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

My criteria for 'obscure' usually involves limited or no TV distribution. Lupin III earlier did get on Adult Swim, but not as long as something like Bleach.

Speaking of Adult Swim material, today's item is a little..."advanced" for most of this forum's users and a little hard to get into, but it's got enough redeeming points to get a spot here...

8. Nerima Daikon Brothers

Year: 2006
Span: 12 episodes
Rating: NC-17

Summary: Two daikon-farming brothers, Hideki and Ichiro, and their female cousin Mako are hoping to raise money for their own concert dome to perform in. While trying to get enough money, they have to avoid people hoping to get control of their daikon field or pull money from them, and evade arrest from an over-zealous cyborg policewoman. In the meantime, Hideki hopes to win Mako's heart, and Ichiro may or may not be attracted to his fluffy panda sidekick Pandaikon.

Review: I was in the middle of a huge Blues Brothers phase when I discovered this show existed, and I can put it this way...if you love the Blues Brothers, you're either going to love this thing to bits, or want it destroyed. My feelings are the former, but it was hard to get adjusted to watching little cartoon Jake and Elwoods either lust after a cousin or a panda, respectively. Each of the characters are very well-developed, and have excellent voices in the English dub. The show is bizarre, surreal even, bouncing from wild musical intervals to over-the-top perversion to genuinely funny moments. This is totally not a kid's show, especially not the English dub, which was punched up with a little rude humour but is 300% more enjoyable than the original. One of the things I look for in a good adult show is at least a vague essence of heart. Among other scenes, there's a part in the last episode where you think it's all over, and Hideki's dream for the dome has been completely destroyed, and I actually got kind of emotional during this.

It's so hard to describe this thing. The whole show is...outrageous. Yes, that's the word I want. See a few of the episodes, or even just the intro (this is safe for work; go ahead), and you'll either love it or hate it. Just make sure you're about my age.

Availability: The whole thing is available on DVD from Funimation, in print at this time of writing. The set is a little pricey at certain places, but they have the whole series for free on Youtube.

...I spent $53 on the set, and that was plenty in my mind to reunite me with a little cartoon charicature of John Belushi. :heart:

Last edited by Fauna on Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 13 years ago

Lupin III is one of the best Anime I've ever seen...
(That and Cowboy Bebop.)

Honestly, Paranoia Agent is one that really opened my mind.

It's sort of in the line of Evangelion where it deals with mental disorders, but this Anime actually portrays the heroic defeat of the instabilities of life.

This, and the movie Paprika are awesome.

Also, their theme songs are AMAZING!!!
*dust*

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

"The Tawashi Bus Hat" wrote:This, and the movie Paprika are awesome.

Thanks for mentioning Satoshi Kon's work, he was my second favorite anime creator after Tezuka. His recent death shocked me more than any other outside of my family that had happened so far, so much so that I couldn't bear to talk about it on forums for a while.

I find it hard for the most part to find many of his work, especially since I hate buying DVDs when I know I'll want the eventual Blu-ray, so because of that, I still haven't seen Paranoia Agent. Really cool to hear it's similar to Evangelion's psychoanalytic nature.
I'm on Twitter.

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 13 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:[QUOTE=The Tawashi Bus Hat;115216]This, and the movie Paprika are awesome.

Thanks for mentioning Satoshi Kon's work, he was my second favorite anime creator after Tezuka. His recent death shocked me more than any other outside of my family that had happened so far, so much so that I couldn't bear to talk about it on forums for a while.

I find it hard for the most part to find many of his work, especially since I hate buying DVDs when I know I'll want the eventual Blu-ray, so because of that, I still haven't seen Paranoia Agent. Really cool to hear it's similar to Evangelion's psychoanalytic nature.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. His talent was a tragic loss. :cry:

These are the only samples of his work that I am familiar with. Did I mention they BLEW MY MIND?

But yeah, totally watch PA. If the opening sequence doesn't get you hooked, then...go to bed. xD

They lyrics are pretty powerful, too...
*dust*

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

I've been trying to get a hold on the Paranoia Agent DVDs for a short while now, but unfortunately they're out of print, and the places I go to find DVDs online has them grossly-overpriced in the aftermath of Kon's death. And I've wanted to see Tokyo Godfathers ever since I entered the anime fandom, but the only place in town where it was available was a Blockbusters outlet, and it got stolen. >:c

On happier news, I know a few of you had been looking for Tetsujin 28 online. I'm pleased to announce that this guy on Youtube has the first seventeen episodes up in English, and the remaining nine are coming soon. Give him love.
Last edited by Fauna on Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”