Total Lunar Eclipse tonight!! First on Winter/Summer Solstice in hundreds of years.

Off topic discussion.
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Total Lunar Eclipse tonight!! First on Winter/Summer Solstice in hundreds of years.

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

A real astrological rarity, too.

It will be the first total lunar eclipse to occur on the day of the Northern Winter Solstice (Southern Summer Solstice) since 1638, and only the second in the Common Era.

I GOTTA see this. Can I stay awake? hmmmm....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_eclipse

Welcome to winter northern hemisphere members -- and happy summer to all our Aussie friends!!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 13 years ago

Oh cool, thank you for letting me know. I definitely can't see the moon right now, but then the sky is a bit covered so I wonder if I should be able to see it anyway...? I may never know! :lol:

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 13 years ago

Looking at it right now.

It's... 1:30am here.

And it's REEEEED! :D
*dust*

Astro Boy2866
On a Flight into Space

Postby Astro Boy2866 » 13 years ago

I watched it at 11:38 and also saw a shooting star. It was freaking awesome :D

If you didn't see it, then you'll be seeing it again in heaven and that's for sure. The last one that happened was in 1638 :eek:

Oops, April already posted that fact.
Last edited by Astro Boy2866 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Astro Boy|鉄腕アトム [sigpic][/sigpic]

Check out diehard67's forum
Or check out my YouTube channel

Tombo
Kokoro Robot

Postby Tombo » 13 years ago

Lucky I just happened to open this site or I'd have completely missed it.The moon is just above the horizon here and half in shadow.

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

Well, according to wikipedia I should be able to see a part of it while the moon rises, I've been gazing up at it for a while and well, all I could say is that its a pretty ordinary moonrise for me :eek: .

And no, the clouds weren't in the sky.

I still remember that one time about 4 years ago, when I was in Sydney a magnificent moonrise happened. It was red, absolutely huge as it rose over the harbour bridge, its width was almost a third of the bridge itself :eek:

Tombo
Kokoro Robot

Postby Tombo » 13 years ago

Some of the best moonrises and sunsets I saw in Sydney were about 15 years ago (?) after the Mount Pinatobu eruption in the Philipines.The sky at night had like a violet/purple colour at dusk for about 2 weeks.Amazing.

Astro Boy2866
On a Flight into Space

Postby Astro Boy2866 » 13 years ago

I saw an awesome one in either Texas or Hawaii where the sunset was a reddish pink color and it looked pretty cool.

Going back on topic: Did anyone try to look at it through a telescope or binoculars? I was able to look at it with binoculars and it looked really cool :cool: but it was kinda hard to focus them.
Last edited by Astro Boy2866 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Image Astro Boy|鉄腕アトム [sigpic][/sigpic]

Check out diehard67's forum
Or check out my YouTube channel

Astronomical girl
Banned

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

i am soo jealous of you guys :d oh:
Unyongnekasayo

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 13 years ago

This was cool - The moon was still a little red when the sun came up. :D It was so pretty to see the sky turn orange around the sun and the deep blue sky behind the red moon...

...it's like a Dragons of Pern book or something. :D OH NOES THREAD!

On topic: Were other hemispheres able to see it? I'm in America so I got a pretty good view of it.
*dust*

Return to “General Discussion”