What really bugs you in a fandom?

Off topic discussion.
Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:But WHY? Where did that start? is it a Japanese thing?

Animal-persons isn't really an Asian-only thing, us Americans have had our fair share of it. (That cat-woman character from She-Rah comes to mind...) I tried to look up a bit more on the history of animal-persons (Catgirls specifically, or to be more correct, Nekomimi.) Unfortunately I couldn't find anything on its origin, but it's certainly not something that defies Japanese. Thinking that way is highly stereotypical.

Now to be more on topic, one thing about fandoms that personally annoys me are... ignorant people, or 'stupid people' as I personally call them, no offense to anyone here.

I used to be part of the Ginga fandom (Yoshihiro Takahashi's works, such as Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, etc.), specifically at this one community forum. And one very common thing about the Ginga fandom is that it is filled to the brim with animal loving-crazed 'kiddies' who are usually very ignorant or blinded by their love for animals. Don't get me wrong, I love animals, but they were just too much.

I remember once when it was 2009, and we happened to be talking about that new Jungle Emperor Leo special (the one with chibi Leo). And many of the members were COMPLAINING that it had a HUMAN character who got a lot of screentime, and this one member was all "But I want to see gazelles running in the grass, waahhhhhhhh." Oh noooeeessss, a human!!1!

Now if I had known Tezuka a little more then, I would have been all over their *****, ******** about how wrong they were all were all, and that they did not have the slightest idea that animal-human coexistence was a very important theme in the Leo franchise, and that Tezuka would probably be disappointed in them. I certainly was. It just makes me rage, and they're like that with ALL human characters in every single animal-based series.

I felt like the only member in the entire fandom who actually appreciates what the characters Daisuke and Takeda Gohei of the Ginga series did. Ultimately I grew hating the fandom and left the forums, especially after the staff became pathetic excuses for admins.

Rant over.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:Now to be more on topic, one thing about fandoms that personally annoys me are... ignorant people, or 'stupid people' as I personally call them, no offense to anyone here.

*Pats head* Trust me, I know how you feel with the ignorants. Dealing with them is like lying in a bed of fire ants, each of the ants saying Metropolis is inferior to Naruto.

You know, kids...I used to be part of the Bakugan fandom in 2007, right when it came out, and I was responsible for going out of my way and gathering character data and pictures from official Japanese websites long before the American ones had come out.

And I had this huge crush on one character, Alice Gehabich, whom was very sweet and actually really powerful. But when it became possible to pair her with a ninja bishounen kid - one who was extremely popular - all this horrible Alice hate art started being made by slimy little fangirls for ninja boy. I left the fandom for three years and only returned to give everyone a lot of crap. I kinda made an effect, and Alice hate has lessened, but really...why would you go out of your way to make a hatedom for a fictional character...to make sure she doesn't get paired with your favourite character...when they aren't actually canonically paired?!

TL;DR: Ignorant preteens are the worst.

EDIT: I command all of you to ship Fauna/Alice.
Last edited by Fauna on Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

Astronomical girl
Banned

Postby Astronomical girl » 13 years ago

I call fandoms brain candy becuase they can be so bad for you and at the same time like ice cream they are nice right up until you get a brain freeze and why did I do it?

I personally don't mind them because like many things it's preteen thing that we look at like we do at fingerpainting done by three-five year olds
Unyongnekasayo

Xenops
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Xenops » 13 years ago

"Fauna" wrote:[QUOTE=Dr. Jerk;122097]Now to be more on topic, one thing about fandoms that personally annoys me are... ignorant people, or 'stupid people' as I personally call them, no offense to anyone here.
*Pats head* Trust me, I know how you feel with the ignorants. Dealing with them is like lying in a bed of fire ants, each of the ants saying Metropolis is inferior to Naruto. TL;DR: Ignorant preteens are the worst. [/QUOTE] Actually, ignorant adults are the worse, because there's no hope of them growing up. :eek: My biggest issue was when a fellow church member tried to convince me that Star Wars was more "Christian" than Lord of the Rings. There are some problems with this: Tolkien specifically wrote, I think in an introduction, that LotR is "fundamentally, a Catholic work". So I think we can agree that Catholics have similar values to Christians. Star Wars, as much as I enjoy it, is based on the principles of Joseph Campbell and New Age thinking. This person's entire argument was that LotR had wizards, and ST had none, so ST was more Christian. :mad: If he had done LotR research, he would realize that Gandalf and co. are servants to a higher deity, whereas in Star Wars their is no higher authority figure, the world being "governed" by the Force, with humans able to manipulate for their uses.

Please note: I am not arguing that one religion is better than another; what I'm ranting about is a know-it-all who is ignorant and refuses to better himself. It was him that made me realize that I cannot tolerate fools, especially about LotR. :p

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

"Xenops" wrote:[QUOTE=Fauna;122098][QUOTE=Dr. Jerk;122097]Now to be more on topic, one thing about fandoms that personally annoys me are... ignorant people, or 'stupid people' as I personally call them, no offense to anyone here.

*Pats head* Trust me, I know how you feel with the ignorants. Dealing with them is like lying in a bed of fire ants, each of the ants saying Metropolis is inferior to Naruto. TL;DR: Ignorant preteens are the worst. [/QUOTE]

Actually, ignorant adults are the worse, because there's no hope of them growing up. :eek: My biggest issue was when a fellow church member tried to convince me that Star Wars was more "Christian" than Lord of the Rings.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but the preteens tend to be violent and hysterical, since they're in the throws of an emotional rollercoaster. For further reference, see everything the Beliebers have done. :d oh: Ignorant adults usually just toddle around and make other people despise them.
ImageImageImageImage

Xenops
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Xenops » 13 years ago

"Fauna" wrote:
Yeah, but the preteens tend to be violent and hysterical, since they're in the throws of an emotional rollercoaster. For further reference, see everything the Beliebers have done. :d oh: Ignorant adults usually just toddle around and make other people despise them.

Oh my, I don't think I want to know. :lol: Though was it kids or adults that participated in the Harry Potter outrages? I don't recall.

wing area
Kokoro Robot

Postby wing area » 13 years ago

"Fauna" wrote:EDIT: I command all of you to ship Fauna/Alice.

You have my blessing and the first fan art:

I WILL GO DOWN WITH THIIIIIIIIIS SHIP

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

"wing area" wrote:You have my blessing and the first fan art:

I WILL GO DOWN WITH THIIIIIIIIIS SHIP

Man, I love you so much for this. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

wing area
Kokoro Robot

Postby wing area » 13 years ago

"Fauna" wrote:Man, I love you so much for this. :lol:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIT:

Made it better.

Dragonrider1227
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Dragonrider1227 » 13 years ago

"F-Man" wrote:[QUOTE=Ghost;121918]I'm going to stop there, I could go on about this subject. Some fans of things take things way too far with their "fandom."

In their defense, most of them are probably young teens, and might be in love with at least one of the characters. Falling in love with a fictional character is sad, but it still happens, happens to me too. The key is to keep these kind of things in the right places so to not disturb the people who don't want anything to do with it.[/QUOTE]

As a man who frequently falls for fictional characters, I don't find it said at all. Getting possessive about said character? (which I've seen) Yeah, that is
There are a lot of things that bug me in fandoms. Particularly fandoms that are just never satisfied. Like how I collect GI Joes and I often see when new toys are revieled, fans are often unimpressed despite that they're often really good toys.
Am I the only one that doesn't get the furry hate? So some one likes to dress up like a cat. Big Deal! I'm not really a "furry" myself but I really like furry art and even find some of the adult stuff... interesting XD Though yeah, there are many that take it too far. But just the same, I don't get the hate.
Last edited by Dragonrider1227 on Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”