What really bugs you in a fandom?

Off topic discussion.
Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 10 years ago

I have nothing to say about any of this except, people are weird. Me included, but I won't go into details.
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 10 years ago

Okay, I'm a Homestuck fan (oh gog forbid, please non of you judge me). Like many Homestuck fans, I have a fan troll. Her name is Infern Fueggo and this is what she looks like. I dunno why people say bad things about HomeStuck fandom, like you know, to the point of being "fandom racist" if you know what I mean. I mean sure we're weird, but hey, all fandoms are if you think about it. The only thing about it is they seem to have strict unwritten (but you better follow them, or you'll get cyber bullied) rules regarding fan trolls. I've followed them pretty much, except for one thing, I paired her with a cannon. Eridan Ampora to be exact. Well for one thing, Eridan has no cannon girlfriend/matesprit (he has a cannon crush on Feferi, but it never worked out), so I sorta semi shipped Infern and Eridan (I'll admit it, I have a fangirl crush on Eridan. XD). Well I drew a picture of Infern trying to confess her feelings for him. I posted it on dA, but some jerkwad featured it on a tumblr blog called f***yeahawfulfantrolls. What an asshole! Luckily, me and a couple friends got the post removed, but it still irks me. I still ship them, but usually it's an unrequited crush, although once in awhile an Eridan RPer would sometimes play along and accept Infern's love confession. But I hate it when people don't give OCs a chance.
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

Not all OCs are bad. :)

It's true that a lot of OCs end up as Mary Sues, but some are okay.

@ Anime Girl: Your Homestuck OC is pretty cute, I like the way you drew her. :)

What bugs me the most in a fandom. Hmm. Good question. I think it's when people don't respect each other's opinion in discussions. That's pretty inmature. And I can't stand it when people are acting "fandom racist" like Anime Girl said. Some One Piece and Naruto fans despise us Tezuka fans, for instance. Some don't, though.
Last edited by Windswept Cloak on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 10 years ago

Thank you very much. I try to make sure my characters aren't too Sue-ish, but I also want them to be unique and stuff. Wow, I had no idea Naruto and One Piece fans hated us. I used to love Naruto myself (I couldn't keep up though, so I only watch it when they show like a movie or something at anime club). I honestly thought people didn't care about us Tezuka fans, that we're basically the hipsters of anime.

:astro: (slips on hipster glasses) Please, I've been an anime star before it was mainstream.
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Windswept Cloak
Banned

Never really gotten into Naruto or those mainstream mangas much. I do like Hyouka though. :)

"Shiyonasan" wrote:Fanfiction. I don't touch that part of the internet with a ten-foot pole because, honestly, there is a lot of garbage within that realm. I have only come across three fanfics that I have ever liked because they actually break away from the mountain of fanfiction that exist solely to embrace an author's shipping fantasies.

I feel the same. I don't read fanfiction except for Tezuka fanfics, I don't even look at Studio Ghibli fanfics - none of the Ghibli fanfics I've read are good except for Tetsuwan Penguin's Arrietty fic. I

I've only came across a few fan stories I liked - I think Tetsuwan Penguin and Chamomile Chameleon are the best Tezuka fanfic creators out there on FF.net. I can't stand most of the Astro Boy fanfics on FF.net. And there is a Black Jack fanfic in which he marries an OC, Kitsune Okami or whatever her name is (does that mean he forgot about Megumi? No way). Kuro was totally out-of-character in that story. His personality and backstory were both ruined completely. In another fanfic, he has sex with an adult Pinoko. :eek:

(A list of the only fan fiction authors I like besides myself)
1. Chamomile Chameleon
2. Tetsuwan Penguin
3. AprilSeven
4. Various Black Jack fanfic writers. Here are the links to the BJ fanfics I like:

(1) https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7914662/1/Scalpels-and-Spurs (This writer is a genius)
(2) https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5219413/1/How-to-Save-a-Life (This one made me grin. Though, IT DOESN'T MAKE MUCH SENSE.)
(3) https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8765151/1/Cookie-Cutters (Short but cute)

As you can see the list is not long. I may be a fanfiction writer but I dislike most fanfics.
Reid958 is getting better at writing as well, and Angel of the Stars' fanfics she sends me by email make me laugh. They're pretty good :)
Last edited by Windswept Cloak on Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:54 am, edited 16 times in total.
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

Kuo-Yi, normally double posting here on this site is handled very loosely and no one really is bothered by it, but you quadruple-posted in this thread all within 30 minutes! We do have a rule here that advises against double posting as outlined here.

Please for future reference try to stick to one post and waiting until someone replies before making another post. You do not need to make a separate post for separate ideas, instead maybe you could try making a long post complete with your quoting and responding. Or there's also the EDIT button that you can use up to a certain point in time.

The only time when double posting is generally acceptable is when a great deal of time has passed in a thread and one has something significant to add and the ability to use the edit button is no longer an option.

Please consider this for future reference.
Last edited by Earthshine on Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

"Earthshine" wrote:Kuo-Yi, normally double posting here on this site is handled very loosely and no one really is bothered by it, but you quadruple-posted in this thread all within 30 minutes! We do have a rule here that advises against double posting as outlined here.

Please for future reference try to stick to one post and waiting until someone replies before making another post. You do not need to make a separate post for separate ideas, instead maybe you could try making a long post complete with your quoting and responding. Or there's also the EDIT button that you can use up to a certain point in time.

Please consider this for future reference.

I merged them all into one post now. Thanks for reminding. :)

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

That looks so much better now! :D Thanks.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

Another thing that annoys me is when people change up canon characters, making them out-of-character for the purpose of falling in love with their fan character. I've seen this too many times, and to be honest I'm fed up with most fanfictions. Let's see. Besides Tetsuwan Penguin's fanfics, which are my favorite, only three Astro Boy fanfics and three Black Jack fanfics out there are good and don't eventually let the canon characters do something un-true to their original personalities OR / AND pair them up with a fan character.

Besides that, I don't mind some of the "random" fics but a lot of them can get stupid.

Daiya Mondo
Metro City Citizen

long rambling post;;

Postby Daiya Mondo » 10 years ago

somewhat related to what people are talking about now, and it's honestly rather complicated. i have such a weird love-hate relationships with fandom characters; one hand, they can be really creative with their designs and be geuinely likable characters, the other hand they could be rather annoying and such.

when i was younger, i would often write fanfiction with my self-insertion mary sues being in love with whatever my favorite character was at the time. i would have a lot of fun doing it and i would write a lot. however, i learned what a "mary sue" was when i was about fourteen and started to panic. i began over-thinking my ocs, started flaming and harassing other people that had mary sues etc. i was so scared of backlash and i was so embarrassed of my past.

i guess what bothers me is this stigma for mary sues and pairing up your ocs with canon characters. you're doing it for fun, there's nothing wrong with indulging yourself nor is there anything wrong with wanting a more developed well-rounded character!

though, i usually rarely like oc/canon stuff. a lot of it is poorly written and some ocs are super annoying and unlikable among making every canon character worship this oc's feet. when i come across these things, i usually end up reading these things anyway... because i'm a masochist. i don't ever harass the people anymore, unless they're being a turd to other people or shoving this character into everyone's faces. :unsure: but i'm not sure if it's really harassment on my case, since it's usually calling people out on their bratty behavior, but even then i could be a little mean :(

tl;dr: the stigma and fear of mary sues bothers me a lot, since it's usually just for fun and you wind up being kind of mean (and just as annoying!!) as the people that make them. i don't like people that shove people's ocs into everyone's faces and expect everyone to worship them either.

the phrase "MY CHARACTER ISNT A MARY SUE BECAUSE..." is the worst.

also shipping wars are really lame.

edit: i just started making ocs for the sake of pairing them up with canon characters again, just for fun (my jjba oc and my astro boy/metropolis oc haha) and i rarely really talk about them with anyone anyway. i'm still rather embarrassed and stuff about sharing details, so maybe i feel sort of? offended by the anti-sue things lately haha.
Last edited by Daiya Mondo on Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: just adding a few more things!
ImageImage!

icon commissioned by birries!

Return to “General Discussion”