What really bugs you in a fandom?

Off topic discussion.
Angel of the Stars
On a Flight into Space

Postby Angel of the Stars » 9 years ago

What bugs me in a fandom is all of those: "I'm going to marry the main character and be all Mary Sue!!"
Ugh! I just HATE those types of people!!!

I once had someone put on a picture of Astro I drew a LONG time ago: "Don't you ever draw him again, you suck!! Astro is MINE!!"

Ummm, EXCUSE ME?!

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 9 years ago

Oh dear, I dislike those. It's not only in the Astro Boy fandom in which people do that. A lot of crazy Kuro'o Hazama fans do the same.

:tezuka: : "I thought he already has Kei?"

:hyo: : "Fangirls are weird."
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Angel of the Stars
On a Flight into Space

Yes! So true!

Another thing I hate are all of those stupid Main Character X OC fanfics where their OC is so annoyingly Mary Sue!
Last edited by Angel of the Stars on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

Some OC X Canon pairings can be fun as long as they are handled well. I have one, but I'm never going to post it on FF.net otherwise some people might blow me up with a bomb. (Though, in that story of mine although the OC "likes" the Canon, they just stay friends throughout the story, don't go any further, and the main plot is mainly a new teacher in their school and how she learns how to deal with her new job.) But it's true that most OC X Canon pairings I've seen before are terrible. Just terrible. In fact 99.9% of them are. I'm even considering fixing up mine a bit so the OC doesn't have a crush on the Canon at all, just thinks of xe as a good friend.

Xe = He or she. It's a non-gender specific term people use sometime on the Internet.

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:[QUOTE=Little Brown Fox;210894]But children are usually entered into kindergarten at the age of five, which would make them ten by the time they're in 5th grade...

Ah, whatever. I'm just too nitpicky, analytical, and stubborn for my own good. *shrug*

I didn't actually imply an age for Atom in my story. He WAS created in the image of a 9 year old boy, and it could be said that his "brain program" was copied from that boy. However, having a super computer for a brain his IQ was much greater than that of a 9 year old, and he was probably emotionally advanced over the original 'programming' due to the learning and adaptability of his computer brain.

SO, what grade would YOU start such a child off in? I wouldn't want to put him in a class where he would be ahead of the rest of the kids, that would be boring as hell! So it made sense to have him start middle school. Sure he was the shortest kid in the class, but that wasn't a problem, not for Atom![/QUOTE]

His IQ is supposed to be above 500, I've read.
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Angel of the Stars
On a Flight into Space

"Kuo-Yi" wrote:Some OC X Canon pairings can be fun as long as they are handled well. I have one, but I'm never going to post it on FF.net otherwise some people might blow me up with a bomb. (Though, in that story of mine although the OC "likes" the Canon, they just stay friends throughout the story, don't go any further, and the main plot is mainly a new teacher in their school and how she learns how to deal with her new job.) But it's true that most OC X Canon pairings I've seen before are terrible. Just terrible. In fact 99.9% of them are. I'm even considering fixing up mine a bit so the OC doesn't have a crush on the Canon at all, just thinks of xe as a good friend.

Xe = He or she. It's a non-gender specific term people use on the internet.

(Sorry this is kinda off topic to the forum/discussion, but) based on my new intellect on Mary Sues I'm going to re-write the last chapter or two of my E.I. fanfic on FF.net because I made Angel seem to Mary Sue since I haven't introduced her enough yet, and I don't want my fanfic to become like the ones that I hate!

Windswept Cloak
Banned

And don't forget to delete Yuuki Kawashiro. She no longer exists, instead I have a new character named Dr. Kawashiro who is 30 (he is a male) instead of a female, and a minor character), not a silly 12 year old genius detective girl.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

Oh yes, I remember another fandom that drives me mad. I've been a fan of of the Harry Potter books (Sorry, I'm not fond of the movies except for the first 30 minutes of the first one.) for six years now, longer than I have known Tezuka, but I can't stick the American HP fandom. Nearly all the HP fanfics I've read on FF.net are terrible beyond words. It seems that the fandom is filled with crazy fangirls pairing up their over-the-top "perfect" original characters with their favorite male character. The number of terribly-written sexual and romantic fanfics is also unbelievable. I swear when I write mine I'll never make the same mistake. (Besides Tezuka fanfics, I'm thinking of writing something Ghibli and a HP / Matilda crossover fanfic. Matilda is a book by Roald Dahl, about a little girl with a magical power. Look it up on Wikipedia if you've never heard of it.)

A DeviantArt user is fed up with the amount of terrible fan stories in the HP fandom too, and look, she / he's even written a poem about it:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/I-d-Hate-to-be-Harry-Potter-149042400

Angel of the Stars
On a Flight into Space

I hate that SO. MUCH. For EVERY fandom!!

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 9 years ago

"Kuo-Yi" wrote:Oh yes, I remember another fandom that drives me mad. I've been a fan of of the Harry Potter books (Sorry, I'm not fond of the movies except for the first 30 minutes of the first one.) for six years now, longer than I have known Tezuka, but I can't stick the American HP fandom. Nearly all the HP fanfics I've read on FF.net are terrible beyond words. It seems that the fandom is filled with crazy fangirls pairing up their over-the-top "perfect" original characters with their favorite male character. The number of terribly-written sexual and romantic fanfics is also unbelievable. I swear when I write mine I'll never make the same mistake. (Besides Tezuka fanfics, I'm thinking of writing something Ghibli and a HP / Matilda crossover fanfic. Matilda is a book by Roald Dahl, about a little girl with a magical power. Look it up on Wikipedia if you've never heard of it.)

A DeviantArt user is fed up with the amount of terrible fan stories in the HP fandom too, and look, she / he's even written a poem about it:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/I-d-Hate-to-be-Harry-Potter-149042400

I don't suppose you've heard of the fanfic My Immortal?
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Windswept Cloak
Banned

I don't think so; what's it about?

(Edit) I just read it. I swear this makes all the poorly-written stories I've read look good. This is terrible. I think I lost a bunch of brain cells reading it.

ACCHONBURIKE.

This:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6829556/2/My-Immortal

I have no words to describe this. It's so stupid, it's funny. I laughed so hard.
Last edited by Windswept Cloak on Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”