What really bugs you in a fandom?

Off topic discussion.
Daiya Mondo
Metro City Citizen

Postby Daiya Mondo » 10 years ago

i definitely understand people's frustrations with ocs, especially ones where the main focus is hooking up with a canon character. most of these are avoidable though, i believe? it's usually fairly obvious when there's going to be a cringe worthy oc/canon story based on the summary (looking at you metropolis section on ff.net and that's including my fanfiction). on deviantArt it might be a bit harder to ignore, if you are watching their account and you can't really filter the stuff with tags like on tumblr, so you're kind of stuck seeing it.

i was just voicing my opinion that it kind of stinks that people are so embarrassed of having ocs or anything like that, even more so if they were paired up with a canon, that they go into denial etc. i think, if the person acknowledges that they're being a little silly for doing so and is rather mature about their oc/canon shenanigans, it's alright! plus, people should look back on these sort of things and laugh about it! :lol:

when it comes to shipping, things can be a little muddled and stuff. i ship some admittedly messed up pairings (both crack wise and stuff where it can be kind of [OUT OF TUNE TRUMPET NOISES]) :unsure: but i know that people aren't comfortable with it so i try to keep quiet about it, so i don't bother people with it.
ImageImage!

icon commissioned by birries!

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

I'm totally not embarrassed of my OCs. They are not literally fan characters, as I mentioned before, I have an 100% original manga and am proud of it. I am very satisfied with Mikuko Tsuzaka, Kanato Misaku, Miss Kazama, and the rest of my characters. :)
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Daiya Mondo
Metro City Citizen

Postby Daiya Mondo » 10 years ago

ah, i meant the yuuki kawashiro (i hope i got her name right) thing! and that's good that you're proud of your new ocs! that's awesome! and sorry for implying that you were embarrassed of them etc. etc.
ImageImage!

icon commissioned by birries!

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

[LANDS IN THE THREAD LIKE THOR] oh man what's going on

Postby Fauna » 10 years ago

Fan fiction is exactly what it is - fan-made fictional stories. Nobody should be ashamed or afraid to write their own characters in a story, so long as they don't harass other writers or godmod the story. You wanna write about Astro meeting your robot and becoming his friend? Go right ahead. You have a crush on a character and want to write some romance with them? Go on. You wanna write really gross, fetishistic stuff? You're writing hatemail to someone with an original character? Stop that, that's that :hyo: I don't like.

"Kuo-Yi" wrote:But I've grown and I no longer pair up OCs with canon characters.

I'm a 21-year-old university junior and I have two fan characters for Astro Boy. Growing up has nothing to do with it. This isn't a waste of creativity either; I write my own original works, and these characters are solely made for AB. One of my characters is even paired with a canon character, and this character isn't an over-glorified bombshell either. Just write and don't follow "rules", unless one's content is problematic.

The criteria for "Mary-Sues" and self-inserts is so diverse, and it's impossible to define these days. You know who else has all the qualifications of a Mary-Sue? Bruce Wayne.

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 10 years ago

You keep defending your OC. It's okay; nobody insulted her or accused you of making a self-insert. We were all just saying how everyone should be comfortably to make a fan character.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

Sorry. I know that. :)
I've deleted all my posts mentioning her too much. Sorry if I annoyed you guys.

Back to the subject: Ever gotten hate mail?

I haven't, but Olivia has. Whoever sent her that is so inmature. :(
Last edited by Windswept Cloak on Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

Ugh, all those are so annoying :d oh:

Another thing that really annoys me about fandoms is when some people decide to change the gender of a canon character just so that a pairing they have in mind won't be gay... I've seen this happen quite a bit in the past with a particular fandom and it gets really grating. I don't mind gender-bent universes but it has to be done the right way, not to avoid something that might make someone uncomfortable.

As for Hate-Mail I used to get them way back in high school when I wrote more often. I liked to pair these two guys together a lot and it wasn't a popular pairing and it 'threatened' the existence of another fan-pairing. There was this one fan, just one, that made me out to be their personal enemy on FF.net back when I had an account. :d oh: I have not gotten much since then fortunately.
Last edited by Earthshine on Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

Goodness, that reminds me of a fic in which they changed Black Jack into a female, that totally creeped me out. :eek: Terrible, simply terrible.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

It can be tough to craft a good gender-bent universe but when it's done it can be something spectacular. One of the best fanfictions I have ever read was actually about a gender-bent Batman and Superman. It was just so beautiful.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

"Earthshine" wrote:Ugh, all those are so annoying :d oh:

Another thing that really annoys me about fandoms is when some people decide to change the gender of a canon character just so that a pairing they have in mind won't be gay... I've seen this happen quite a bit in the past with a particular fandom and it gets really grating. I don't mind gender-bent universes but it has to be done the right way, not to avoid something that might make someone uncomfortable.

As for Hate-Mail I used to get them way back in high school when I wrote more often. I liked to pair these two guys together a lot and it wasn't a popular pairing and it 'threatened' the existence of another fan-pairing. There was this one fan, just one, that made me out to be their personal enemy on FF.net back when I had an account. :d oh: I have not gotten much since then fortunately.

Wait, I think I have gotten hate mail on DA once before, from a friend who really hates Black Jack. He just sent me hate mail in a Private Message thing just because I liked the series.

Besides that, I've known a friend who got a hate mail of a canon character killing their OCs, and several fellow Tezuka fans have gotten hate mail JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE TEZUKA FANS. :eek:

How inmature can people get?

Return to “General Discussion”