Our friends in Japan need our prayers

Off topic discussion.
Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

From what I had heard, some radiation had seeped out. Not a lot, but regardless.

...Which I'm guessing could have been a result of that hydrogen explosion.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 13 years ago

I've read from those same forum members that the doses are extremely low, below what could be considered dangerous. People working in the field are always a little bit exposed to radiation themselves and below a certain threshold, people are just fine. We get a lot more than that from some medical exams, for example.

carlymichelle
Kokoro Robot

its a shame astro cant fix the tokyo nuke plants

Postby carlymichelle » 13 years ago

this whole nuke issue in tokyo right now is terrifying 2 nuke plants are out of control

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 13 years ago

I am not a nuclear physicist nor am I a direct witness. However, everything I read on the topic leads me to think that although the nuclear reactor and the sealed area (*) are damaged, only limited leaks occurred, not sufficient to cause health hazard (lower than what a human can sustain for 1 year). The risk is that the explosion could have destroyed what remained of the cooling system, but at this point they can as well drown the reactor to prevent a runaway reaction and that's it. Unlike Chernobyl which was caused by a meltdown (following an overpower of the reactor), the explosion at Fukushima was only chemical (hydrogen-oxygen explosion in the building).

* Not sure about that term, in French it is "enceinte de confinement".
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

MightyAstro
Robot President

Postby MightyAstro » 13 years ago

I'm very shocked and heartbroken by the devastation. I love Japan and the Japanese people. I've always hoped to go there one day and visit the Tezuka Museum and see the place where he is laid to rest. :cry:

I pray that the troubles for Japan come to an end soon.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 13 years ago

"MightyAstro" wrote:I'm very shocked and heartbroken by the devastation. I love Japan and the Japanese people. I've always hoped to go there one day and visit the Tezuka Museum and see the place where he is laid to rest. :cry:

I pray that the troubles for Japan come to an end soon.
Well there about over even though i heard there was another earthquake from 6.4 on the scale of richter lately let's just hope that was it.
I'm deeply shocked and i can't forgive myself for even be shelfish for a moment hoping that the Tezuka Museum Toei Animation MAD HOUSE Tezuka Productions and such would be alright and that Fuji TV would just Broadcast episode 490 of One piece yesterday THAT's ALL WRONG.
But i heard also that it would have been even more devastated in any other country in the word because Japanese buildings a built on a praticular way that they could withstand most natural disasters beter than in any other counrty in the world but than again a hole city from 10.000 people was last reported to have been completely vanquished from the earth many people from that town dint escape ...

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

I don't have a source for the following, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's real...

Because of that earthquake, over 50 anime and manga studios have been destroyed, and some future works have ceased production indefinitely.

I don't know what this means for Tezuka though, specifically of the manga.

Xenops
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Xenops » 13 years ago

InsaneAstroBoyLover
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby InsaneAstroBoyLover » 13 years ago

"We are still experiencing a worrisome situation, but we will overcome this crisis, whatever it takes," Kan told reporters. "I will take the lead. I will resort to every possible means to prevent the damage from spreading."

Oh my god. This dude is awesome!

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

I keep getting a page error.

Return to “General Discussion”