Our friends in Japan need our prayers

Off topic discussion.
Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 13 years ago

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:I don't see anyone flaming anyone here.

If anything, it was being directed to those Facebook comments. And even then, I don't see anything that would appear to be outright flaming.

Oh I agree with everything you just said, I probably didn't express myself well. :(

Attempt #2: I meant that political discussions potentially could lead to flame wars, and that we actually had political discussions that made members leave this forum in the past. I don't think anybody in this case meant to bring such a discussion here right now. But when we start discussing war X or war Y, it seems to me that we are going on a slippery slope, because you never know if one of these Facebook members could actually be a member here, for example, or whether somebody will want to say more over WWII, and where the resulting discussion could go.

In short, I was attempting to explain the reason why we had such a rule, hoping that by doing so it would make more sense than just saying "political discussions are against the rules" and make people feel bad.

But, hey, perhaps my fellow moderators wouldn't see it the same way, perhaps I was too quick to react in this case - I'll never claim to have perfect judgment at all time. But I certainly heard a little "uh oh" in my mind and would have kicked myself for not saying anything in the case that part of the discussion took a wrong turn. It's fear from what happened here in the past (because elsewhere I have loved getting involved in political discussions myself, they can be really interesting).

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

Guess what my friend pointed out to me on Capcom-Unity. Some little freak decided to post a thread something along the lines of "Marvel vs Capcom 3 sucked, Japan deserved this."

...Wow... just... wow...

That thread is even worse than the stuff on Facebook.

That's all I have to say. But it really does show how ungrateful and disrespectful people can be. And immature.

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 13 years ago

"Alittleacorn" wrote:Has anybody noticed this has been happening a lot lately? It's just I'm sure I've heard there were some earthquakes a while back, the plates must be shifting.

You mean the Haiti floods, Earthquake in China, Pakistan floods, Haiti Earthquake, Queensland Floods, Melbourne Floods, Cyclone Yasi (Queensland) and now this? I have a feeling there are still some more which I have not mentioned which occurred.

Dr. Jerk wrote: Guess what my friend pointed out to me on Capcom-Unity. Some little freak decided to post a thread something along the lines of "Marvel vs Capcom 3 sucked, Japan deserved this."

...Wow... just... wow...

That thread is even worse than the stuff on Facebook.

That's all I have to say. But it really does show how ungrateful and disrespectful people can be. And immature.

All because of some stupid game? Japan did NOT deserve this, thats for sure. Hope Japan recovers well

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Well 'stupid game' is debatable, but I guess calling it that makes sense when we have a much more serious matter at hand.

I still be holdin' onto things... <_<

wing area
Kokoro Robot

Postby wing area » 13 years ago

Don't worry about about Tezuka Productions or the museum!

There was shaking in Tokyo (it was a level 4 there) but only minimal damage. It was still scary though--the tall buildings were SWAYING while there were people still inside. To put things into perspective, the earthquake itself occurred at Sendai, which is in northeastern Japan, while Tokyo is in central Japan. Look at the map on the Wikipedia page for the earthquake/tsunami for a better idea.

My friend in Nagoya barely felt the tremors--she thought she was just feeling dizzy as she was walking. Takarazuka, where the museum is located, is even further west. I'd be surprised if any of the manga in the museum fell off the shelves.

"Dr. Jerk" wrote:I'm unsure about Tezuka Productions, but Mushi Productions (the newer one since 1977) is in Nerima, Tokyo.

I didn't know this! I'll be living in Nerima for my study abroad. I'll totally check it out.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 13 years ago

Thanks, Wing Area. It's so cool you have friends there. Glad they are safe, and I hope the nuclear meltdown threat eases soon!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

...Ugh, I must be slow today. How could I forget that the museum was in Takarazuka...

I've been personally been keeping a very close eye on the progress of the nuclear plant. I personally find it to be one of the more upsetting things that I'm seeing.

As it is, there's been a lot of source conflicts. Some people say that a meltdown is very possible and might happen at any time now, others say it's being controlled. I honestly don't know what to believe anymore.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 13 years ago

I belong to another forum where a few posters seem to have solid knowledge about radiations and safety measures. Take it for what it's worth, they are strangers behind a nickname, but there are a few of them who really seem to know what they are talking about and they don't think there is any reason to be scared so far. The engineers haven't been able to inspect everything but there seem to be no indication of immediate danger so far... if I understood what they have said correctly.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

That would be assuring, however they're also not the ones right then and there, nor going there.

You could say the same for other nuclear experts who have been reporting this stuff, again their reports are conflicted, but at least they also have more access to information on this.

wing area
Kokoro Robot

Postby wing area » 13 years ago

"Astro Forever" wrote:The engineers haven't been able to inspect everything but there seem to be no indication of immediate danger so far... if I understood what they have said correctly.

Yeah, I think the news is being a little sensationalist about the nuclear reactors when they say things like IT COULD BE ANY MINUTE NOW.

Obviously there is a serious problem and it is in no way easy to fix. However, there has been no leakage at any of the plants so far and the main reason why so many people (150,000+) were evacuated around the Fukushima Daiichi power plant (170 or so miles away from Tokyo) was so that the workers could cool it down by releasing some of the radioactive steam. The Japanese government said that the amount released is so minimal that it will not be a health concern.

Japan is working on this relentlessly and I'm sure they'll have the cooling systems up and running again before it becomes critical.

Return to “General Discussion”