Our friends in Japan need our prayers

Off topic discussion.
dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 13 years ago

At this moment, brave souls are throwing their lives away for the sake of their countrymen. It brings to my mind a statement retired Marine Corps General Chuck Krulak said some 20 years ago...

"In the storied history of our corps, no adversary honored us more in battle than the Japanese soldier. He was a formidable adversary who though suffering enormous privations and misery that would have rocked lesser men, never lacked nerve, dedication or determination in the cause he fought and died for....country and duty. His toughness made our corps hard and worthy."

The Japanese have been hit hard, brought to their knees and they're hurting but they're by far not beaten. They will survive and they will go on...it's part of their heritage and in their nature.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 13 years ago

What amazes me is that, compared to how the US handled Katrina and other disasters like it, Japan is dealing with such traumatic events with a general feeling of calm, cool and collected. By this time, America would be full of looters and people killing each other over a can of beans. In Japan, noodle shops are feeding people for free. SHEESH. You KNOW that, if every McDonalds in Louisiana gave food out for free, some people would knock 'em in the head and steal everything.

Why? Because America can't have nice things and Japan understands the meaning of the word 'respect' and the phrase 'help your fellow man'.

Japan, you continue to earn my unfathomable respect for your people and culture. I will continue to root for you and hope that you may recover from this disaster.

(Dunno if this will ruin the moment, but with these nuclear plants getting all hot under the collar...is anyone else afraid there will be a Godzilla born soon?)
*dust*

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

"dannavy85" wrote:At this moment, brave souls are throwing their lives away for the sake of their countrymen. It brings to my mind a statement retired Marine Corps General Chuck Krulak said some 20 years ago...

"In the storied history of our corps, no adversary honored us more in battle than the Japanese soldier. He was a formidable adversary who though suffering enormous privations and misery that would have rocked lesser men, never lacked nerve, dedication or determination in the cause he fought and died for....country and duty. His toughness made our corps hard and worthy."

The Japanese have been hit hard, brought to their knees and they're hurting but they're by far not beaten. They will survive and they will go on...it's part of their heritage and in their nature.

I understand the overall meaning of your post, is positive and complimentary, Dannavy85, but the part about "throwing their lives away" seems out of place. Do you mean that they are sacrificing themselves?

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

They're pretty much going to be the only ones working there, and possibly being exposed to that much radiation, it certainly would be fatal for them.

They're essentially willing to throw their lives away for everyone's safety.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

I think there is a BIG difference between self-sacrifice & throwing one's life away. :cool: the former implies nothing worthwhile came of it, while the latter is the very opposite. In the Atom goes to Mars episode, the officer (Ketchup) redeemed himself from his treachery in sabotaging Atom's umbilical cord or giving him a nearly empty energy cassette by leaping into a vehicle and charging straight into the enemy. Atom could not endure this act, because to him, the man intended to die or was heedless of the overwhelming odds. But because of this act, the tide turned against the enemy. Thus, though he may have been attempting suicide, he also because he was not worried about his own death, was that much more effective in his attack. If he had just run out there unarmed and yelled "shoot me! I cannot bear to live with the guilt of my treachery!" that would be throwing his life away, though it was obvious that he deserved death. :astro:

In the case of the current situation, these who decide do this work, though it means exposing themselves to lethal doses of radiation are not throwing their lives away. They are working to achieve a definite goal, one they acknowledge will cost the lives of those who pursue it. It is the choice of words that I find strange.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Alright, alright, the correct term is sacrifice, we get it now.

wing area
Kokoro Robot

Postby wing area » 13 years ago

This is so heartbreaking.

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 13 years ago

I'm seriously getting worried now, look.
http://news.aol.co.uk/main-news/story/britons-to-be-evacuated-from-japan/1665634/?icid=main|uk|dl1|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.co.uk%2Fmain-news%2Fstory%2Fbritons-to-be-evacuated-from-japan%2F1665634%2F

They say it's far more serious than the authorities claimed. I read in the newspaper how a mother describes Tokyo has turned into a ghost town like London in 28 Days Later. She's not stuck there with her two kids and husbands and there's barely any food. The amazing thing is though, nobody's looting or trying to steal what little food they have, it's like they're all looking out for each other other.

Still, I'm kinda scared. I thought 9/11 was bad, this just, I can't believe it ya know? Of all places Japan. I hope those brave people in there can stop what's wrong with the Nuclear Reactor :cry:
Last edited by Alittleacorn on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

The only positive thing I've heard lately is that they finally managed to bring some machines to provide outside power to the plant, so that some coolant pumps can work. They're apparently working on cooling unit 2 first with it.

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 13 years ago

"Live well...I may not be home for a while."

How can anyone not feel emotion over such selflessness in the face of this. makes me remember the letter Tokugawa Vassel Tori Mototada wrote to his son before he led 300 Samurai against forces loyal to the Toyotomi at Fushimi castle in 1600...

"I will stand here with a tenth of the required forces, meet the enemy and die a resplendant death. It is not the way of the warrior to be ashamed and avoid death...it is to die for your master, to die with honor."
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Return to “General Discussion”