Our friends in Japan need our prayers

Off topic discussion.
The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 13 years ago

Just some FYI about the brave fellows who are still sticking around the power plants in Japan - they are all workers who are the nearest to retirement (aka, on the old side). They volunteered to stay because of what the Chernobyl Disaster (1986) taught us -

Yes, they will be exposed to radiation. Yes, it will cause sickness and who knows what. BUT, in the case of Chernobyl, those reactions to said radiation do not tend to show up until 20, 30 years later. Therefore, by having the older gents exposed instead of younger men, most of them will have probably died of old age before any of the nasty stuff appears.

It's actually quite ingenious.

Also, IGN AU is halfway through their 24 Hour Tsunami Relief run to help raise money for Japan. 24 Japanese games - one played every hour on the hour. If you guys want to donate of watch their live feed check it out here. (At the time I post this, they are on #16 - Super Monkey Ball)
*dust*

wing area
Kokoro Robot

Postby wing area » 13 years ago

My study abroad was officially cancelled. Disappointing, but obviously in the bigger scheme of things, there is so much more to be worried about and to be thankful for right now.

The Tawashi Bus Hat
Robot President

Postby The Tawashi Bus Hat » 13 years ago

"wing area" wrote:My study abroad was officially cancelled. Disappointing, but obviously in the bigger scheme of things, there is so much more to be worried about and to be thankful for right now.

Sorry to hear that Wing. :c But I think you'd be better off staying where you are for now. Japan doesn't need anyone else there right now unless they got a rescue uniform on, ya know.

I keep reading stories lately where they keep finding people on top of hills that escaped the tsunami. A bunch of people that were missing from this village that got completely wiped off the earth were all found the other day on a mountainside. They were all fine. xD Smart people.
*dust*

Fauna
Beyond the Stars

Postby Fauna » 13 years ago

I was also supposed to go to Japan on April 14th, but obviously it's been cancelled. My would-be host families are both okay, however. :heart: I might be put on the exchange trip to Hong Kong next month, which would be cool, but I'm worried about something else.

There's an exchange group from Daiichi in Regina right now. Their families back home have already been evacuated, but...bloody hell.
ImageImageImageImage
Dr. Tenma lover and aficionado since 2006!
Now featuring the Sad Old Dad Squad (The S.O.D.S.)

wing area
Kokoro Robot

Postby wing area » 13 years ago

Fauna--I hope everything works out for you! I might be doing an alternative program in Nagasaki, which is pretty much the furthest away from the disaster as I can possibly be. No idea how this is gonna work out though, as I now must prepare for this program in a couple of weeks and considering that the last one took a few months...

Exchange group from Daiichi?

Return to “General Discussion”