No votes
Other; specify
No votes

Total votes: 6

jeffbert
Minister of Science

WHY TIMA WENT NUTS

Postby jeffbert » 13 years ago

I am writing a certain chapter for my book, & having recently watched METROPOLIS, I was just a bit unsure about this. Duke Red very clearly regarded Tima as less than a beloved daughter, a mere tool he would use to achieve his goals. Yet, I wonder if there was 1 main reason for her deciding to destroy everything.

About #3, I had a definite thing in mind, but did not want to provide it, lest I should ask a leading question. I hope others may suggest the very thing I had in mind.
Last edited by jeffbert on Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 13 years ago

I think this is delibarately ambiguous, but one important point to note is that she was just shot on her heart, and then some light suddenly turns itself on on that same heart. Later on, the light turns off, and she becomes calm again. Maybe the whole thing was simply a case of overheating, yet everyone around her, especially Kenichi were too busy reasoning with her using mere human emotions.

Another thing, when she sits on the throne, the small scientist guy says all the data is going to fuse with her and make her go nuts. We know data about the destruction of robots had been recorded earlier in the movie.

EDIT: and she says "This comes of trifling with robots"
Last edited by F-Man on Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added a precision.
I'm on Twitter.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

So, let me see if I understand you; she, realizing that robots were expendable, was angered by the fact? But she believed she was human, though Duke Red had admitted otherwise, saying she was a special case. Did she realize her own nature?

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

"jeffbert" wrote:So, let me see if I understand you; she, realizing that robots were expendable, was angered by the fact? But she believed she was human, though Duke Red had admitted otherwise, saying she was a special case. Did she realize her own nature?

She definitely realized she was a robot, when looking at what the bullet hit caused on her chest, and then she cried fake tears and said "I am an android, buit to destroy the world". Why she says that though, is definitely a good question. And the light on her heart wasn't ignited yet at that point. Just adds to the ambiguity; I think there may not be a right answer unless we either get one from Katsuhiro Otomo, or find the relevant clues. I could also add that who knows if that light/switch on her heart wasn't added deliberately by Dr. Charles Laughton?
I'm on Twitter.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Here's a theory I just came up with for fun: The bullet hitting her chest must have made her heart more easily accessable by data coming from the throne, which is what turned on that light. This is easier to accept when you consider that the light eventually turns off after the tower gets blown up. I like this idea because it reinforces even more the theme of the movie about the importance of human emotions: Rock may have been a monster, but he was still human and his love for his father made him the hero who saved the earth in the end, by pressing a simple button.
I'm on Twitter.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

"F-Man" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;125170]So, let me see if I understand you; she, realizing that robots were expendable, was angered by the fact? But she believed she was human, though Duke Red had admitted otherwise, saying she was a special case. Did she realize her own nature?

She definitely realized she was a robot, when looking at what the bullet hit caused on her chest, and then she cried fake tears and said "I am an android, buit to destroy the world". Why she says that though, is definitely a good question. And the light on her heart wasn't ignited yet at that point. Just adds to the ambiguity; I think there may not be a right answer unless we either get one from Katsuhiro Otomo, or find the relevant clues. I could also add that who knows if that light/switch on her heart wasn't added deliberately by Dr. Charles Laughton?[/QUOTE]
Would you say that the phrase "Oh no, I'm a robot!" expresses her thoughts when she saw that hole? Still, she was so young, as to know nearly nothing about the world. When Uran makes her debut, she needs to learn the rules, but she can speak. Tima entered the world as would a real baby: a complete blank, except that she instinctively regarded the 1st person she saw as her parent. Thus, though she saw & heard the events around her, she could not even form a sentence to ask questions about them. Yes, she saw the city's attitudes toward robots during her short life, but was this enough for her to really develop a mature understanding?

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

Wikipedia (yeah yeah, I know, don't get started on that) seemed to suggested that she went berserk upon discovering that she was in fact a robot, whereas everyone before her never really suggested, or mentioned, that she was one and that she had possibly believed she was "like them" (as in, human) the entire time. Of course that alone can be debatable, as she was probably still learning what humans are to begin with. =P

Yes I know that I still have yet to watch the film, but that's how I see it.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

That is very similar to what we have already stated; though I shied away from actually saying so, until F-MAN's posts seemed to say this. thus I am glad to learn that others share this opinion.

Dr. Jerk
On a Flight into Space

Postby Dr. Jerk » 13 years ago

Sorry, it's just I'm too lazy to read the other posts. <_<

Xenops
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Xenops » 13 years ago

I tend to agree with F-man, but with some thoughts to add: even if her experience was short, she thought of herself as a human, wanted to be a human, and when she discovered she's just a robot (with Duke Red reinforcing this) she gave herself to her fate. Throughout the film she wonders "who am I?", even to the end. So she was trying to find her place among humans, and would prefer to be one.

Return to “General Discussion”