HOW MUCH $$ DO/DID YOUR PARENTS SPEND ON YOUR XMAS GIFTS? and what toys?

Off topic discussion.
jeffbert
Minister of Science

HOW MUCH $$ DO/DID YOUR PARENTS SPEND ON YOUR XMAS GIFTS? and what toys?

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

I was a kid in the 1960s, my parents were middle class, & they had 5 kids. I recall mom saying that $50 was about the limit for each of us. But back then, that bought a lot of things.

LEGO, GI Joes, Matchbox cars; I cannot recall much more than these, but one year my cut included an HO train set, which my dad mounted on a 4 x 8' plywood that folded down over my bed. Too bad it also had a grass mat on it, because this 'grass' was constantly falling off the mat & into my bed. :( Anyway, the train was constantly derailing because the track sections would not stay snugly aligned. Eventually, I switched to a slot car set, but had the plywood removed after a few years.

I had a ton of LEGO, though no where near as much as I now have :blush: The parts back then were very crude, & very few of them had moving parts. There were no MINIFIGS (figures) & only a tiny fraction of the variety that is now available. I was lucky to even have doors that opened! :D

I had 6 or 7 GI Joes, a total of 4 jeeps (2 Desert Patrol, 2 green (but only 1 green Hasbro with the cannon & trailer with the search light)). There was a TV show called RAT PATROL, & Hasbro was quick to model a Jeep set on it. :lol: I think the show was rather boring, at least I now find it so, but the toys were wonderful! I got one DESERT PATROL jeep either for Xmas or a birthday, but I shamelessly begged a relative for his or somehow ended up with it. A friend of mine had a Wehrmacht (WWII GERMAN) soldier, & I believe a French resistance fighter. This boy had stuff I could only dream about! :o hmy:

I was a kid when the parents organizations pressured the toy makers to downplay war toys, so I had a few of the GI Joe ADVENTURE TEAM sets, I still have 1 of 3 huskies from the dog sled set. :lol:

MARX toys made similar figures, JOHNNY WEST was 1 series; back then Westerns were losing popularity, but still the toys were not. BTW, these figures were about 11 to 12" tall, & just the figure was about $3 -$4. They made wagons, horses, bunk houses, who series of characters; Medieval sets also; my cousins had MARX Knights & Calvary officers. I had 2 Johhnny West figures. The MARX figures were not as articulated as the GI Joes, but their hands actually held things, while the Joes usually dropped whatever we tried to make them hold.

These figures had their clothes molded on them, and their bodies were all 1 color regardless of what they 'wore.' The kid I mentioned above had a MIKE HAMMER figure, & this was the absolute coolest toy I ever saw! He was like James Bond & all the other spies combined. But most of his appeal came from his accessories:
  1. a lugar whith removable silencer and barrel; a submachine gun barrel could be installed.
  2. exploding luggage: an attache case & another case with cap firing mechanisms. The attache case also had a knife that came out of its side!
  3. Plastic disguises: beard and glasses, masks,etc
  4. weapons disguised as walking sdtick, pipe gun, transistor radio machine gun. a steletto behind his neck tie (lost that one), & others
  5. a cloth trench coat
  6. too much to continue!

I now own what is left of this collection :blush: . :p He also had a kid-sized J. Bond type attache case similar to that one. I had a MAN FROM UNCLE case, but it was only cardboard!

IDEAL toys made figures also; Captain Action series had a who array of its own super heroes, but also classic ones. The Captain himself wore a costume similar to Superman's, but without a cape. I now have 4 of these anniversary figures, including THE GREEN HORNET, & TONTO. The Capt. himself wore masks of these characters, & the figures I have are just that; Capt. Action wearing the costumes & masks. These figures joints were nowhere as durable as the GI Joes' & my Capt. Action's ankle broke & he went into the trash. :cry:

I think my older cousin gave me his old erector set, somehow I was fairly able to deal with the nuts & bolts with only 1 hand, but it was not easy. Does anyone remember the little green soldiers that come in a plastic bag? That same cousin had cowboys and Indians instead of green or gray soldiers. :p

:D

My Aunts were clearly out of it, though, as I recall only Avon products; things that few boys would ever want, or even appreciate!
Last edited by jeffbert on Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 12 years ago

I'm not sure. I think around maybe 100 bucks for each child, but I have no idea. Oh yeah, I usually got Barbie or Bratz dolls, Care Bears, drawing stuff and books and DVDs. Now I usually ask for mangas, books, DVDs, and jewelry and cute outfits and stuff.
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 12 years ago

Wow, that's a lot! O_O i'm impressed Jeffbert.

Hm, suddenly it's kind of hard to think of what my parents got on me and my brother when we were kids. I do remember my bro getting a ps1 and thinking 'whhhhy, I wanted thaaat T___T' and making do with my fishing game thingy, which i loved anyway. Which I never really played serious, I'd just pick the fish out (what? they had these cute muppet mouths and had all these different faces and colors *_* sigh)

Money wise on what they spent on us, I think it stayed within the £100 limit each on toys and stuff. And then there was the £60 we got from gran, it's funny, my bro used to always spend his where i'd keep £20 and put the rest in the bank ^^

If I can think of one present I was so happy to get as a kid, it'd be my Woody doll from Toy Story. I already knew he was in the wrapping paper and I was dying it rip it open so I could hug him! >_> Buzz Lightyear was overrated.

As for my brother's favorite Christmas gift, it'd be that 1997 football that he NEVER STOPPED PLAYING! I leapt for joy when the disc scatched from how much he overused it and it wouldn't load. Yep, that was a good day ^_______^

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 12 years ago

I would play with everything, no matter which gender was usually associated with which toy. :D I don't even know how to list everything I got, I've had all kinds of gifts. I also loved board games. :D

I don't know how much my parents spent.

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 12 years ago

hi- my sister told me her husband's sons- he is divorce and now marry to my sister-and his sons live with their mother are going to get around 5,000 dollars apiece in Christmas gifts. OH GIRL!- WISH AND PRAY EVERYONE A HAPPY MERRY CHRISTMAS 2011 AD AND A SAFE/SAVED 2012 AD AND FUTURE..............

Ghost
Banned

Postby Ghost » 12 years ago

I use to be big into Lego as well. But the only thing that could possibly top my obsession with Transformer toys is Lego. I use to have almost every Auto Bot from the Armada series. I wish I still had my Optimus Prime, but I still have my Hot-Shot figure.

The Optimus Prime I got for Christmas came with a figure of Jet-Fire. You could actually combine them which is what this picture is of. Now I don't like it as much thanks to the crappy sequels that Michael Bay made to his original Transformers film... (Thanks Mike!)

I can't think of any kid that didn't have Lego's. I'm sure someone has stepped on a piece Lego barefoot at least once in their life time. Stepping on one of those things could be almost as painful as pregnancy for men. Those were the only major drawback about Lego's. Don't ever leave those lying around on the floor or you will learn the hard way.

Those are mainly what I got for Christmas outside of PS2 video games. One of my childhood favorites that I ended up getting for Christmas was Sly Cooper. Oh, the memories.

But frankly I'm starting to hate Christmas the more I get older... And I'm almost 17! :lol:

I still like the idea of the holiday; but I guess the magic somewhat fades a little until you have children, but even then I can imagine it being different. Reason being that getting gifts for someone can be a real pain. Not to mention I'm not really crazy about receiving gifts like I use to. Now if I see something around this time of year I go out and buy it. The other thing, is the fact that every single year I see Christmas ads on TV.. Christmas music in the stores as well as decorations. That's one thing about Christmas that I really hate the most now. One of the worst things is that they start playing this stuff the day after Halloween it seems.

EDIT: Wow, I didn't even look at the question in the title :P .
I really don't know how much money my parents spent on each Christmas. We aren't rich but I always turned out to be happy on Christmas morning. I wish I could have that feeling again.
Attachments
ArmadaPrime13.jpg
ArmadaPrime13.jpg (46.51 KiB) Viewed 1970 times
Last edited by Ghost on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Satus
Robot President

Postby Satus » 12 years ago

Wow, everyone got interesting things over the years.

I was a spoiled child. :blush: If I wanted something, I usually got it. Video-games were common for me to receive. I was also a huge Sonic the Hedgehog fan, so a lot of the stuff I got were related to that franchise. I got many other things too; including clothes, toys, books, card decks, etc.

I didn't realize how lucky I was then, but whenever I look back on it, I feel grateful. My family wasn't rich, so I don't know how they managed it.

Now that I am older, Christmas doesn't hold the excitement it did then. Of course I still feel happy if I receive something, but there is a difference between something I want and something I need. These days I mostly want my family to spend time together on that day, because my family almost always does stuff by themselves even if we live under the same roof.

Androids101
Cosmic Ranger

Postby Androids101 » 12 years ago

Approximately $100 or a bit more, for example if that things is priced at $ 119.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 12 years ago

It depended on the year as to how much my parents would spend on me and my sister.

They usually got me Legos, video games, movies, books, or various outdoor toys, such as water guns (the Nerf kind), snow saucers, bikes, or things of that sort. I was really big into Bionicles back in the day, so I would usually get those during Christmas or my birthday.

I also got my very first video game system on Christmas 1996. It was a Super Nintendo. Along with that, I got Super Mario All-Stars, the first video game I ever played. Good times...

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 12 years ago

When I was a kid, there was a story about some kids who made their own 'computer' using a piano crate & an old vacuum cleaner for sound effects! :lol: They wrote the answers on pares and stuffed them through a slot, somewhat like Hamegg does in the Jetter Mars' The Best Robot Talent In History (though I have not included an image of this). We were only vaguely aware of what computers even were back then! :p Maybe I will add a few more to that thread.

"Satus" wrote:Now that I am older, Christmas doesn't hold the excitement it did then. Of course I still feel happy if I receive something, but there is a difference between something I want and something I need. These days I mostly want my family to spend time together on that day, because my family almost always does stuff by themselves even if we live under the same roof.

:cry: When I was a kid, we had one TV for the 7 of us. My older sister had a small B&W TV when she was a teen, & her own telephone, which was rare back then. We fought over whose program we would watch. :d evil: It is now quite the opposite! :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”