The Chillin' Lounge

Off topic discussion.
Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 10 years ago

The Totoro cake is so cute!!!

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

:D I'm very fond of the sleeping dragon cake myself, but they are all wonderful.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 10 years ago

"Shiyonasan" wrote:Oh man, that does looks delicious, Earthshine! It's amazing how some people can make elaborate-looking cakes like that. It makes you not want to eat them because they're like a piece of art! (No pun intended.)

In other news, did anyone watch the Super Smash Bros. Nintendo Direct today? I know at least one other person on here likes the Super Smash Bros. series. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited for what's coming in the next game in both versions.
I definitely saw it. I chatted on Skype among some of my friends and we had an absolute blast (ended up chatting all night about the game and then some).

The Nintendo Direct was awesome. The game is looking to fix nearly every issue I had with Brawl (art style, online, uninspiring move sets in newcomers) and then some. Smash Runs looks great, glad to see that Sakurai is bringing back the Kremlings in that mode (possibly a playable K. Rool incoming?). Gekkouga was really shocking, but he's turning out great so far. Too bad Ridley is most likely disconfirmed, though...

Still, this looks to be the best Smash game yet. Definitely getting both versions here and I'm surprised the 3DS version is coming even sooner than I expected (was expecting a Q4 2014 release for that game).

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

In Taiwan, the government is thinking of building another nuclear factory, and they don't seem to be listening to expert's warnings. Oh NO.
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 10 years ago

"astarisborn94" wrote:[QUOTE=Shiyonasan;224555]In other news, did anyone watch the Super Smash Bros. Nintendo Direct today? I know at least one other person on here likes the Super Smash Bros. series. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited for what's coming in the next game in both versions.
I definitely saw it. I chatted on Skype among some of my friends and we had an absolute blast (ended up chatting all night about the game and then some).

The Nintendo Direct was awesome. The game is looking to fix nearly every issue I had with Brawl (art style, online, uninspiring move sets in newcomers) and then some. Smash Runs looks great, glad to see that Sakurai is bringing back the Kremlings in that mode (possibly a playable K. Rool incoming?). Gekkouga was really shocking, but he's turning out great so far. Too bad Ridley is most likely disconfirmed, though...

Still, this looks to be the best Smash game yet. Definitely getting both versions here and I'm surprised the 3DS version is coming even sooner than I expected (was expecting a Q4 2014 release for that game).[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all points.

I wonder if they're releasing the 3DS version first and a few months before the Wii U version to help generate more revenue for the 3DS version and to make some fans interested in buying both versions.

It would be interesting to see K. Rool come back. I was surprised to see the Kremlings back since I thought the rights for them still belonged to Rare. Guess I was wrong.

I think what I'm most interested in seeing at this point is who's going to return from previous games. I've heard that the roster is supposed to be around the same as Brawl's? If so, there's not much room for more characters, since 29 have been confirmed so far and there was 39 in Brawl. I get the feeling that characters like Jigglypuff and Lucas won't return.

As long as my mains from Melee (Ganondorf) and Brawl (Captain Falcon) get confirmed, I'll be happy with whatever the roster is!

Robin
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Robin » 10 years ago

Who has seen the youtube series "Epic Rap Battles of History"?

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

"Shiyonasan" wrote:Agreed on all points.

I wonder if they're releasing the 3DS version first and a few months before the Wii U version to help generate more revenue for the 3DS version and to make some fans interested in buying both versions.

It would be interesting to see K. Rool come back. I was surprised to see the Kremlings back since I thought the rights for them still belonged to Rare. Guess I was wrong.

I think what I'm most interested in seeing at this point is who's going to return from previous games. I've heard that the roster is supposed to be around the same as Brawl's? If so, there's not much room for more characters, since 29 have been confirmed so far and there was 39 in Brawl. I get the feeling that characters like Jigglypuff and Lucas won't return.

As long as my mains from Melee (Ganondorf) and Brawl (Captain Falcon) get confirmed, I'll be happy with whatever the roster is!
I'm not sure why they put up the 3DS version first. Might be because they finished up that game first and are releasing that one first.

Well King K. Rool did show up in Brawl as a trophy and he did appear in Mario Super Sluggers, so I feel as that should have been obvious. With the appearance of Kremlings in Smash Run, I'm pretty sure that he's going to show up in a larger role than the one he got from Brawl. It could be Assist Trophy or a boss, but I'm thinking a playable debut due to him being a very important part of the Donkey Kong franchise and for being the most wanted Nintendo newcomer. Hopefully I'm right.

Also, Smash 3DS & Wii U is not getting around Brawl's roster size. I'm sure you're referring to this quote:
“It isn’t a matter of ‘if the next game has 50 characters, that’ll be enough.’ There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive…. In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. I think a change of direction may be what’s needed.”
This has been frequently misquoted to say that the roster will be around Brawl's size, but that is not what Masahiro Sakurai is saying here. What Sakurai is actually saying is that there's much more to a game than just the characters (which is true) and that it is very difficult to balance 50+ characters in a game. As for the "In terms of quantity, we’ve probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible", considering that the roster for each game was decided during the pre-production stage (with exceptions made if there is more time to add characters in late or a very, very special case), I'd imagine that he's referring to this upcoming game's roster and not Brawl's.

Also, Sakurai is not going to cut characters willy-nilly. Smash characters are not like fighting characters; this is a series created so that fans can enjoy playing as characters of all types in the Nintendo universe. Sakurai has even mentioned that he wants to prevent cutting as much as possible for this game. We'll see a few, but it'll be because of gameplay/licensing/time constraints, not because of sub-par logic like "recency" or "to add more newcomers". Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle are probably gone, but I highly doubt we'll lose anyone else. I would expect somewhere around forty-eight to fifty-three characters for this game. It's a lot, but it can be done.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 10 years ago

That's good to hear. I've heard that rumor all over the internet, so I assumed it to be true. Glad to hear that's not the case.

Considering the small amount of time between now and when the 3DS version is supposed to be released, I'm wondering if they'll reveal a bunch of characters at E3 like they did with this Nintendo Direct a couple weeks ago.

I agree that Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle probably won't come back. I'm also thinking that the Melee exclusive characters won't come back either due to the whole "not wanting clones" thing.

Man, I can tell I've been off of Smashboards for a while. My discussion skills regarding Smash Bros. aren't what they used to be. :lol:
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

"Shiyonasan" wrote:That's good to hear. I've heard that rumor all over the internet, so I assumed it to be true. Glad to hear that's not the case.

Considering the small amount of time between now and when the 3DS version is supposed to be released, I'm wondering if they'll reveal a bunch of characters at E3 like they did with this Nintendo Direct a couple weeks ago.

I agree that Snake, Ivysaur, and Squirtle probably won't come back. I'm also thinking that the Melee exclusive characters won't come back either due to the whole "not wanting clones" thing.

Man, I can tell I've been off of Smashboards for a while. My discussion skills regarding Smash Bros. aren't what they used to be. :lol:
I'm expecting three newcomers to be shown off at E3 myself; two of them being Pac-Man and Mii's and one of them being a highly requested character that would hype the game (Palutena, King K. Rool or Mewtwo would fit this). We should also see multiple veteran confirmation; I'm hoping for Ike myself. Smash Direct was big and I can't imagine E3 being THAT much smaller of a deal for Smash and characters are the best way to hype a game.

As for Melee characters, Mewtwo is the most wanted character for this game period; even more so than Mega Man (who got in because of fan requests) and King K. Rool. Mewtwo has also seen a return to prominence to Pokemon in recent years, just look at how much new stuff he's been put into (first Mega Evolution, major role in Genesect's movie, etc.). Not only that, Mewtwo has also been planned to appear in every single Smash game to date, so it look as Sakurai may see Mewtwo as a sort of staple in the franchise (but things just didn't work out). Best of all, Sakurai has even hinted at Mewtwo's return. To me, Mewtwo is the closest character to a shoe-in for me.

If anyone else returns, it'd be Roy, due to him also being planned for Melee, but cut due to time constraints (like Mewtwo) and being very highly requested to return (popular in the West and one of two of the most highly wanted characters in Japan). I don't think he'll return in the initial roster (since Chrom and Ike will get priority), but DLC is very much a possibility and I'd imagine that Sakurai will at least plan Roy's return for this game (although he's likely going to get cut due to time constraints). The rest aren't happening at this point, but it's not because of them being clones (Toon Link is mostly a clone and he's back), but because of a variety of factors; not being highly requested to return, not being planned (or planned but ended up being an early cut) and lack of reasons to put them in (even after other characters).

Also I wouldn't worry about your discussion skills in regards to Smash not being what they used to be. You'd be surprise to know that if you'd actually inform yourself about Smash's developmental process (as well as doing research on potential characters), you would end up being better at it than the vast majority of people that actually do speculate it. Trust me, I've been in the SSB 3DS & Wii U scene for a few years and I know the inside-out of the speculation community.
Last edited by Fuzzy Pickles! on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 10 years ago

@Robin - I have :p

Return to “General Discussion”