The Chillin' Lounge

Off topic discussion.
Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

A beautiful and delicious looking apple :D

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 9 years ago

I was thinking about cosplaying Tobio-chan for AiKon coming up soon. I have about a month, but I don't make money so this will probably look terrible, even though it is quite an easy style. The clothes on the other hand are future type so that seem most difficult. I'm small, so it would work fine.
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

Earthshine

I think you should go for it. You'd be surprised at what you can make look fantastic on limited funds or even no funds (only using what you have laying around). Just so long as you have fun!

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

I keep hearing people hate on weeaboos and I start to really think how much I might actually be one. Idk. It's kinda bumming me out. I love to speak Japanese whenever I can, I watch anime, read manga, listen to J-pop/rock/metal/Vocaloids. I even bought a kimono. I love Japanese culture. Is this such a bad thing? I actually don't care if I were Japanese. I'm not, but it doesn't really matter to me. Does this still make me a weeaboo? Because of how things always get twisted on the internet, I don't have a clear picture of what it really is.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

Well I found this definition on the web:
"Someone who is obsessed with Japan/Japanese Culture/Anime, etc. and attempts to act as if they were Japanese, even though they're far from it. They use Japanese words but usually end up pronouncing them wrong and sounding like total assholes. You can find alot of these faggots clogging up the forums of Gaia Online, hanging out in the international aisle of the supermarket, or crowding the manga section of your local bookstore. Synonym of wapanese. "

Personally I think that anyone who would make fun of, or tease anyone who had gone out of their way to learn the culture and language of another country is either the owner of a very low IQ, or just jealous. Learning a foreign language (especially an Asian one) is quite an accomplishment IMHO.

I've managed to pick up a very few words here and there listening to Japanese Language Anime, and using a CD I got from the library. I think I've also learned just how we actually learn language as children. I'm beginning to notice some 'patterns' in the speech such as picking out names and questions (how interrogative's are formed in Japanese. In one episode Atom was calling out Ochanomizu Hakase where are you?)
I wish I could understand the Anime without subtitles....
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Earthshine

The term "weeaboo" is essentially an internal insult directed to what anime and manga fans would call the "worst" of their social groups. They are the kinds of people who tick other anime and manga fans off; they talk only about anime and manga, they oftentimes believe that just because something is Japanese it is innately BETTER than everything else, they can be blind to all other forms of media if it's not Japanese and they are fans of Japanese series to the point of obsession.

Having a strong liking of a culture, and wanting to learn the language of a culture and practicing the language does not make one a "weeaboo". Now if you randomly interjected Japanese words in an English sentence such as "Oh watashi so peko peko for a hambaagaa" you might be displaying "weeaboo" tendencies as the collective definition of a "weeaboo" is inappropriately using the language in conjunction with English.

It also is a definition that varies from person to person, just like how the definition of a jerk varies. What I would call "jerkish" might not be what you would call "jerkish".

I really don't think you're a weeaboo, I think you just have a passion for Japanese culture but you're not being offensive or annoying about it, which is what weeaboos essentially are.

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

"Earthshine" wrote:
It also is a definition that varies from person to person, just like how the definition of a jerk varies. What I would call "jerkish" might not be what you would call "jerkish".

I really don't think you're a weeaboo, I think you just have a passion for Japanese culture but you're not being offensive or annoying about it, which is what weeaboos essentially are.

I suppose that's where the line is drawn. When someone becomes a jerk. I was just wondering where that line was between otaku and weeaboo.

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 9 years ago

I'm neither an otaku nor a weeaboo, I just have a liking for Japanese culture (I'm Asian, so I don't see anything strange about that) and I like Ghibli and Tezuka anime. :)
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Earthshine

The main point of being a weeaboo I believe is obsessing over Japanese culture and media to the point of obnoxiousness where one annoys and tasks others. I think that's a good overall definition and a good start ignoring the 'quirks' that some people like to peg weeaboos for having such as; meowing, using honorifics in their own names and generally butchering the Japanese language.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

Anybody else been watching Book 3 of The Legend of Korra? It just got cancelled on TV due to lack of viewer ratings, so it's now only showing on Nickelodeon's site. I actually prefer to watch it online and had been waiting until Nickelodeon uploaded it online before, so it was perfect when they uploaded the current episodes all at once.

You can watch all eight current episodes so far of Book 3 here. The remaining five episodes will be distributed every Friday starting August 1 and running through August 22. The way the episodes are listed on the site are jumbled, so click this link to go in the correct order to watch them.

I actually still need to watch Episodes 6 through 8, but I must say that this Book has been great so far. Big improvement from Book 2 in my opinion.

Return to “General Discussion”