Disney now owns Lucasfilm and Marvel . . . Could they eventually own Tezuka?

Off topic discussion.
AprilSeven
Silent Song

Disney now owns Lucasfilm and Marvel . . . Could they eventually own Tezuka?

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

They seem to be making a steady move towards sci-fi / comic book heros. Can manga/anime be far behind?

REMEMBER YOU READ IT HERE FIRST!! :p

Now THEY could get Astro to be a worldwide household name.
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

BlueCore
Robot President

Postby BlueCore » 11 years ago

Just think!!!!

An ASTRO BOY 2!
More popularity for this site!
More merchandise being sold!
And an Astro Boy ride!!!!!
Poh how I wish
"My name is Jack Frost. How do I know that? Because the moon told me. So if the moon tells you something, believe it..." ~jack frost, Rise of The Guardians

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 11 years ago

I can't wait for Doctor Tenma saying to Astro:

:tenma: I sold you to...
:astro: A circus?
:tenma: Nope, Walt Disney. Now let's see about your new haircut.
:astro: !
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 11 years ago

I suppose it's possible, but I don't know. On the one hand, it'd be neat to see Disney own Astro Boy. On the other hand, I'm not really sure what I'd want from that type of deal.

Regarding the actual acquisition, I will say this of the Disney/Lucasfilm merger. I may not be a huge Star Wars fan, but I am certainly excited to see where this deal goes. Especially since there's plenty of Star Wars stories told after the original trilogy. So if Disney wants to keep making Star Wars film every three to four years, they have the money and resources to do so. And depending on who helms it, we'll most likely get films with at least effort put into them.

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 11 years ago

"BlueCore" wrote:Just think!!!!

An ASTRO BOY 2!
More popularity for this site!
More merchandise being sold!
And an Astro Boy ride!!!!!
Poh how I wish

It ain't going to happen, much as we'd like it. The film didn't make enough and company that made it practically went bust. If Disney did buy Astro Boy and considered a CGI film, it would be something of it's own.

F-Man
On a Flight into Space

Postby F-Man » 11 years ago

Tezuka Productions isn't big even in Japan anymore. If Disney considered buying an anime acquisition, they'd go with Naruto or something. Didn't they air that on "Disney XD?" That proves my point.
I'm on Twitter.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Tezuka Productions isn't big even in Japan anymore. If Disney considered buying an anime acquisition, they'd go with Naruto or something. Didn't they air that on "Disney XD?" That proves my point.

But you're missing a big part of the attraction: Osamu Tezuka WAS another Walt Disney. Both men were fans of each others work. Disney isn't as widely embraced in Japan/Tezuka isn't as widely embraced in the USA - therein lies the potential HUGE marketplace.

Tezuka has as huge and diverse of a body of work as Disney did/does. They don't have to "destroy" Tezuka Pro . . . but their financial investment and marketing savvy could really boost the popularity and availability of Tezuka's properties.

It ain't going to happen, much as we'd like it. The film didn't make enough and company that made it practically went bust. If Disney did buy Astro Boy and considered a CGI film, it would be something of it's own.

I disagree, Alittleacorn. Imagi was a start-up firm without real experience. Disney is THE industry leader. Remember Wall-E?? THAT's how Disney does robots, and I'll bet they wouldn't have butchered Astro's origin story the same way Imagi did. I also don't think they'd feel they have to follow the 2009 movie. They could start somewhere else (like Pluto did). My feeling is that Tezuka Pro doesn't have the money or multi-cultural/linguistic personnel to "do it right." Disney could make all the difference in the world, and would profit from it enormously. (IMHO ;) )
Last edited by AprilSeven on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alittleacorn
On a Flight into Space

Postby Alittleacorn » 11 years ago

"AprilSeven" wrote:I disagree, Alittleacorn. Imagi was a start-up firm without real experience. Disney is THE industry leader. Remember Wall-E?? THAT's how Disney does robots, and I'll bet they wouldn't have butchered Astro's origin story the same way Imagi did. I also don't think they'd feel they have to follow the 2009 movie. They could start somewhere else (like Pluto did). My feeling is that Tezuka Pro doesn't have the money or multi-cultural/linguistic personnel to "do it right." Disney could make all the difference in the world, and would profit from it enormously. (IMHO ;) )

Disney will rule over the humanity :eek: no series is safe.

And Wall-e was made by Pixar. Disney is sort of ones that help publish it I think, not sure.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Disney will rule over the humanity no series is safe.

Actually I do agree with you about this. I WOULD rather Tezuka do it on their own, but that doesn't seem likely. :(

And Disney OWNS Pixar (they purchased it in 2006). So . . . i kinda don't trust them, but heck I wanna read/see the complete Astro Boy corpus before I die and it's getting late (for me, that is!:cry :)

Then again, if I die and go to heaven, maybe I can connect with Tezuka himself and have him fill me in on what I missed!! :eek: :p Okay - too many days without water/electric!! Actually IT CAME BACK ON TODAY!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

Those arrogant Western studio's think they own the world anyway.
They think so low of Anime so not happening but if they would go after certain Anime companies i would defenetly say Toei Animation or Studio Pierrot not Tezuka Productions by far.
Last edited by Tetsuwan Atom on Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Return to “General Discussion”