Suggestions for doing this mega cross-over (includes Astro Boy characters)?

Off topic discussion.
Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Suggestions for doing this mega cross-over (includes Astro Boy characters) if at all?

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 11 years ago

Recently, I've been bouncing on my head about doing a mega-crossover fanfiction in the distant future. I had a couple of ideas before I started to worked on, but neither went far.

But I've decided to give mega-crossovers one last shot before I put it away for good. What I have been thinking about is doing a cross-over with characters from many anime series that work towards one goal; saving the universe from permanent destruction.

I've been wanting to give a shout out to anime since I've always preferred Japanese cartoon shows to Western cartoon shows (mostly) and have found them to be much more interesting overall. Basically, I'd like to do a "what-if?" scenario if anime characters from many series were to work together.

If this were to ever come to fruitation, I plan on having these franchises involved; Tetsuwan Atom, Dragon Ball Z, and Yu Yu Hakusho. The former two because both are some of the most iconic anime series to ever exist and the latter because it was very popular at the time it was out and I could see the characters being integrated well. Those are the ones I plan to have play the biggest role in the story.

There many other franchises I'm considering as well, though unlike the other three, they will only be important for part of the story (especially since it's going to be difficult enough to fit multiple series in one section of a story). Series I'm considering at the moment are the following: Sailor Moon, a Gundam franchise, series from Tezuka and Tatsunoko products (Casshan (particularly the 2008 reboot), Black Jack, etc.), One Piece, Naruto, Cyborg 009 and many others. Of course not all of them will make it in, but I'd like to cover enough to where I feel as a successful cross-over could be satisfying fanservice.

Now if I do go through this, it will take me a long time before I even start working on it since I have practically no anime collections (only have a few Pokémon and Dragon Ball Z VHS lying around) and as such, have to build one from scratch. This is the main reason why I'm not jumping straight to the fanfiction (aside from the fact that I would also like to make this into a fan manga, but need to seriously work on my drawing and I'm not betting on this one being a fan manga yet), because I need to know what I am doing when crossing over these franchises. I need to make the characters feel as they aren't totally out of place and could reasonably interact with each other. Sure I could simply put extensive time on reading the Wikis of anime franchises, but I don't think that can give you a full grapse of what the series is about, which only watching the anime can do.

What are some good places to buy anime DVDs? I know CD Japan is a good one since I will need it for the Astro Boy series (since I doubt the 1963 and 2003 will get ever uncut subs in America) and potentially others, but other places? I will also be picking up mangas to some series I want to take a look at.

There are several reasons why I want to do this mega cross-over:

1. To give me something to do. I'm not really interested in video games anymore (outisde of Smash 4) and once that game satisfies me, I have only older games to get. Currently I'm looking for a meaningful replacement and animes seem to be that replacement.

2. I'd like to work on something fun. Frankly, I'd rather not be a boring person in my life once my work in real life is done for the day. I don't want to fulfill the status quo of an average Joe and need something to separate me from everything else. Making this fanfiction would help individualize me as it would characterize something I really enjoy.

3. Would help give me motivation to learn Japanese and the culture surrounding it. Given that this is an anime cross-over fanfiction, it's important that I try to become familiar with the Japanese environment.

I'll have more to say, but I just want to hear thoughts on this.
Last edited by Fuzzy Pickles! on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 11 years ago

HI- LOVE TO WORK ON THIS IF YOU WANT- WOULD ADD RANMA/RANKO IN THIS TOO AND HOW SHE HEARD A VERY SCARY SOUND OF SUPERMAN IN PAIN AND HOW SHE GOT CHANGE HELPING SUPERMAN BY TEACHING A ALIEN- HUMAN GIRLS CAN BE FORMIDABLE AND ONE OF SUPERMAN'S ENEMIES TRY TO TAKE CARE OF SOME OF DRAGON BALL HEROES SO HE CAN MAKE SURE NO ONE HELP SUPERMAN WHEN HE DECIDES TO PUNISH HIM FOR STOPPING HIS CONQUEST OF THE EARTH - THEN THE UNIVERSE! JUST A IDEA- IF I HEARD RIGHT- GOKU IS JAPANESE VERSION OF SUPERMAN- HUGS IN FRIENDSHIP AND LOVE ALWAYS AND PRAYING ALWAYS THE VERY BEST FOR YOU ASTARISBORN- LOVE YOUR AVATAR - SO CUTE- YOUR AVATARGIRL/KATARA ALWAYS

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

Glad you express interest in this. Any and all help is appreciated (though again, I need to get more familiar with anime before I release the fanfiction to the world). Although would you please stop capitalizing all of your words? It's seriously annoying.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

With more and more un-dubbed content appearing on the web I'd like to pick up the language. Spoken Japanese is probably going to be easier to learn than written since reading the language presents two barriers one of a different character set and the syntax and language itself. (The only kanji I've picked up is the character for mushi) Something like Rosetta Stone would be the obvious starting point. I wouldn't trust any of the fansubs to be a totally correct translation, but if you keep your attention open you do begin to pick up words and phrases just watching dubbed Anime's and listening carefully.

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

"kscharf" wrote:With more and more un-dubbed content appearing on the web I'd like to pick up the language. Spoken Japanese is probably going to be easier to learn than written since reading the language presents two barriers one of a different character set and the syntax and language itself. (The only kanji I've picked up is the character for mushi) Something like Rosetta Stone would be the obvious starting point. I wouldn't trust any of the fansubs to be a totally correct translation, but if you keep your attention open you do begin to pick up words and phrases just watching dubbed Anime's and listening carefully.
I am considering Rosetta Stone as a starting point for Japanese right now, but $300 is so expensive and I need to save money for college, so that seems out of option now. I do plan on picking it up when I have money, thought. However, my laziness tends to get the best out of me, but I hope that doesn't hurt me too much.

Also, I'm not sure how watching dubbed anime is suppose to help me learn Japanese. If anything, I'd say that watching official subs would be more beneficial, but I don't see that as very helpful either.

Beyond the Stars

Postby avatargirl » 11 years ago

OK- i will let me know how I can help please ASTARISBORN94! PRAY you always the very best and pray you are successful in getting money for college!

spartanx01
Rocket Ball Champion
Location: Sector 626, The Anime & Gaming District Of Metro City

Postby spartanx01 » 11 years ago

I'm working on a story that brings in certain characters against their will and a Devil Hunter works to get them back home again. It's a Lilo and Stitch story but with demons. I'm still unsure If I should even try bringing in either :astro: or Zoran. Because I'm not sure if I could get their personalities right.

Return to “General Discussion”