Book Review: The Art of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga

Off topic discussion.
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Book Review: The Art of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

I'd like to submit to you my personal review of this book:
The Art of Osamu Tezuka, God of Manga by Helen McCarthy.

This is a large (and usually expensive) 'coffee table' book, measuring 12" x 9". It is an impressive volume printed on heavy quality paper, wrapped and sealed in a thick plastic protective dust jacket, under which is a color cardboard cutout of Atom. The book comes with a DVD video depicting a few days in the Life of Tezuka Osmau, with the camera following him as he rushes to meet a deadline to complete a number of manga stories for his publisher.

The book is filled with many full size illustrations from Tezuka's works. It serves as both an excellent biography of Tezuka, and a nearly complete encyclopedia of his works. It was in this book that I first discovered the existence of many of his minor and lessor know works (such as 'Atom Cat'). The book describes the many anime works he worked on for Japanese Television, some of which are beginning to show up on the internet as fansubs. (Fumoon, Marine Express, etc). There are also references to unfinished works such as 'Ludwig B', 'Gringo', 'Neo-Faust' and others.

If all you know about Tezuka is limited to Astro Boy and Blackjack you need to pick up this book. Check ebay, you might luck out as I did to find an overstock sale at less than half the US $40 list price.

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

less than half list price 40 you gotta be kidding me i bought it for 15 USD from Amazon itself a few weeks after it came out.
But yeha it's amazing still need to take the time and patience to actually read everthing from begging to end without to flip through it all the time.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 11 years ago

I got that for my 15th birthday from Daddy. That was about 3 years ago, and I still love it!
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

I didn't realize it was that inexpensive. FOUND MY VALENTINES DAY GIFT!!!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

I hope you enjoy it! I think I'm wearing my copy out already!

Return to “General Discussion”