Obsessive-Complusive Disorder

Off topic discussion.
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Obsessive-Complusive Disorder

Postby Shiyonasan » 11 years ago

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have this or symptoms of it?

I don't clinically have OCD, but I do have some OCD symptoms such as keeping my room clean of things on the floor, straightening certain things in my house when I notice it, or making sure things are straight at all. I don't however have OCD symptoms such as having to lock a door a certain number of times or having to wash my hands a certain number of times (though I hate it when my hands aren't clean).

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 11 years ago

Yuppers.

Everyone assumes I take Fluoxetine for depression, but it's actually to treat OCD. Diagnosed at the tender age of 8.

I'm doing just fine though....

twitch.gif
twitch.gif (2.38 KiB) Viewed 1983 times

Yes, just fine.

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 11 years ago

I have been told that I have ocd like behaviour patterns.

like my laptop is perfectly aligned to the table it is sitting on, and the cooling pad under it is also perfectly straight.

ya know stuff like that.
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 11 years ago

Does insisting that the toilet paper be put in the holder so it rolls over the top make my wife OCD?

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 11 years ago

There's a store I went to called Charming Charlie. It's like heaven for OCD shoppers. Everything is color coordinated by solid color or color pallets, and the colors are arranged in a color wheel style so green is next to blue is next to purple etc. It's amazing.

It's a girl's store though, so it's kind of a bummer if you're a guy.
Last edited by Juanita on Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 11 years ago

Hey kscarf . . . you're putting that paper on BACKWARDS!!! :lol: Mine MUST be the other way

Oh, yeah and I MUST have the same breakfast EVERY DAY!!
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 11 years ago

I go to a therapy group tuesdays and thursdays and on the way I go to A&W and get the same thing, the people there know what I want I don't even have to talk.
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 11 years ago

Having Asperger syndrome, I tend to have strict habits, which may or may not be seen as OCD. I will often do the opposite of diehard67: I don't like when things are aligned, so I may unalign them (especially windows on my computer, I don't like when they are face-to-face for example, unless I actually need them that way).

When I write a program, I may exhibit something I might call psychorigid OCD :p I will check everything that may be out of range. Divide A by B ? Check that B is not 0. Square root? Check the value is actually positive. Dereference a pointer? Check it for NULL. Everything this way, always. However it is useful to write robust applications. Moreover, I find out that very often when I want to write check code it is not necessary because I can prove that the case can't happen, because it has been checked naturally for special cases. For example, I want to do something on the current object. I have to check that the pointer to the object is not NULL, but that case means that there is no current object, which has already been checked before. This means that the program is well-constructed :cool:
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 11 years ago

"kscharf" wrote:Does insisting that the toilet paper be put in the holder so it rolls over the top make my wife OCD?

Absolutely. I prefer it to be that way as well. It's generally put on over in my house, but if it rolls under, I'll turn it back over to roll over. It just seems "wrong" in my brain when I see it rolled under.

"diehard67" wrote:I have been told that I have ocd like behaviour patterns.

like my laptop is perfectly aligned to the table it is sitting on, and the cooling pad under it is also perfectly straight.

ya know stuff like that.

I understand you. My laptop is the same way: aligned parallel to the desk it's sitting on. Many of my possessions are the same way from books set on tables to the remotes on the end table. I have to straighten it if I notice it. The funny thing is that if I'm at another person's house that's messier, it doesn't bother me as much that things are out of place. I've never quite understood why that is.

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 11 years ago

Nail biting is considered OCD. :rolleyes:

Folks have such a fixed set of standards as to what OCD is, that many don't realize how complex it can be. Some people can't function normally in daily life because the disease controls it...

Checking - The man that would literally be hours late for work because on the commute there he would convince himself that he had run over a person and had to turn around and check, just to satisfy and put the thought to rest. Sometimes more than once in a drive. He even knew it wasn't logical, 'cause anyone knows that if you hit something with a vehicle, you're gonna feel it, but his mind controlled him that much.

Trikotilomania and Dermatillomania - (hair pulling, skin pulling) Nail biting is considered a very mild symptom. I knew a woman that had plucked every hair on her head and had to wear a wig.

Contamination- The lady that became so obsessed with not seeing dust she began to use baby powder to cover surfaces. In time, her entire home was covered with a thick layer of it.

Mental contamination, hoarding, intrusive thoughts... the list goes on.
Being meticulous about things is more of a gift than a disease, believe me! :lol:

Return to “General Discussion”