What did you learn today?

Off topic discussion.
Astro Forever
Administrator

What did you learn today?

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

I thought it could be interesting to start a topic in which we could share little things we learn everyday, even if it's old news to other people. :) It can also be more important knowledge, but it doesn't have to be. I suppose I'm not alone browsing the web and learning all kinds of little things, so I thought it might be interesting to learn of what others are discovering.

Today, I learned there existed a village called "Cap-Seize". The village was named after an English speaking geologist's said "we capsized!" as he found himself falling in the rapids. The French speaking guides around him didn't know the word, but recalled its pronounciation.

And so today I also learned the word "to capsize" in English myself. I am glad I had not yet had the need for it. :p
Last edited by Astro Forever on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: bad wording

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 11 years ago

Interesting topic. I technically learned this yesterday, but whatever. :p
Red foxes originated in Eurasia and were brought to the Americas during the Columbian Exchange. Grey wolves originated in the Americas.

racoonangel
Robot President

Postby racoonangel » 11 years ago

I learned what a un courbe de niveau was in geographie class
Instagram: astrogirl_draws
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 11 years ago

I learned that Rasputin and my mother share the same birthday, January 10th.

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 11 years ago

I've learned today that you can tell people here what you have learned today. :D

Apart from that, I've learned some new Japanese vocabulary - which I'm probably going to forget again by saturday evening. :d oh:

Tetsuwan Atom
Robot President

Postby Tetsuwan Atom » 11 years ago

Well i have learned today that i still don't know many things in Adobe Indisign that i need to know ... :d oh: altough i kinda learned a bit of it today.

Osamu Tezuka God of Manga Father of Anime RIP 1928-1989
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAnimeNewsNetwork1?feature=mhum

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 11 years ago

All interesting answers! :D I have a feeling I may end up googling some of these things myself.

I apparently didn't learn how to proofread myself all the time, judging by my first post. :unsure: :p

racoonangel, you made me relearn what a "courbe de niveau" was. I knew what it was, but had forgotten how it was called. ;)

Speaking of relearning, it's the same for me, Strange Wings. Judging by the graphics in my flashcards program, I have to relearn every day just about as many words as the number of new words I'm including. Sometimes it's a little bit discouraging to find out I have forgotten words that were easy a few months ago. :d oh: But the graphics also shows that I remember a good proportion of the words I revise. :)

I haven't learned any completely new word today, only going in the reverse direction of words I already knew, but I memorized 5 sentences which included new grammar. :D

I also learned a few things over economics theories, thanks to various news media.

racoonangel
Robot President

I also learned this weak how to calculate algebraic expressions, it's actually really easy
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 11 years ago

I learned a couple days ago that Ireland has no snakes whatsoever. No worrying about finding a slithering serpent in some underbrush when you go there!

racoonangel
Robot President

Well I had a long day of learning today and almost fell alseep my teacher gave alot of long lessons. So today I had a full french day so I basically learned les pronoms personelle and how to use them. I learned what un systeme fluviale is. We learned what the difference was between un reseau hydrographique, et un bassin hydrographique I think those are the termes I might of mixed them up " sorry about that". I learned about pollution in the water, such as green algie. We learned that blue algie is very toxic.
I LOVE ASTRO BOY!!

Return to “General Discussion”