The Rant/Complaint Thread >:C

Off topic discussion.
Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

It's called Murphy's law.
"If anything can possibly go wrong, it will!"
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

I hate it when people complain! :D

I hate it when businesses say they will contribute a few cents to some charity for every dollar (or what ever amount) we spend on their products / services. If they want to be charitable, they ought to be discreet about it, instead of using it as an incentive for using their stuff! :mad:

:d evil:

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 10 years ago

I'm like 1000% done with the people in my school.
We were talking about the scientific method, and the teacher asks us what constant variables we'd need for a plant experiment. This girl is like "the same sun". THE. SAME. SUN. We also got on the topic of stars, and how the sun isn't even a large star. This kid is like "the sun's not a star it's a sun." How are you people even in high school right now??? The sad part is they were dead serious.
Not to mention the hundreds of other morons I have to live with.
I'm done. I'm just done.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 10 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote:>:C

Why is it I only get a job offer AFTER I stop looking for work and do not have the schedule required to fit said job offer?! I spent all my summer looking for a small part time job to fill in some time and got NOTHING, but after I stop looking for over a month THEN I get called in for a job.

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:It's called Murphy's law.
"If anything can possibly go wrong, it will!"

Job searching is so unpredictable. You might get absolutely nothing for months, and then get 2 or 3 offers at the same time. I've seen it more than once!

SOPikaMeowMeow: reminds me of a customer a long time ago who proceeded to explain me that the Sun rotated around the Earth. I don't know why, it had nothing to do with that job, but he was entertaining in his own way. :p

As for school, I remember the breakup of the Soviet Union occuring during the Christmas break, and many of my classmates had no idea when we came back to school. We were in high school. One of them even asked me how I knew that. I don't know how I could have missed it.

toxicXheart
Metro City Citizen

Postby toxicXheart » 10 years ago

Every one at my school is so snooty and mean, even some of the professors.like this one kid in my comp.he talks a lot and that's really all we do, he speaks his mind and people are really mean to him even my professer. The guy isn't doing anythingwring. That's just one example. I just wish people were more peaceful and understanding :c
[sigpic][/sigpic] :heart: :astro: :heart: :astro: :heart: :astro: :heart:

toxicXheart
Metro City Citizen

Postby toxicXheart » 10 years ago

I hear you :hyo:

"Earthshine" wrote:>:C

Why is it I only get a job offer AFTER I stop looking for work and do not have the schedule required to fit said job offer?! I spent all my summer looking for a small part time job to fill in some time and got NOTHING, but after I stop looking for over a month THEN I get called in for a job.
[sigpic][/sigpic] :heart: :astro: :heart: :astro: :heart: :astro: :heart:

jmb2891
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby jmb2891 » 10 years ago

I work in the meat dept. of Kroger. The other day, about ten minutes before I was about to close everything down, & after I'd cleaned all the knives & tables in the cutting room, a customer asks me to cut him a 12 lb. slab of strip into one-inch steaks & wrap them into packs of three. I did this and it put me behind where I like to be. About an hour later, they were returned to me! The guy wound up not wanting them! What made it worse, it took him around 10-15 minutes to make up his mind and he asked my opinion TWICE. I was very aggravated.
"Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free."
-Jim Morrison

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you, too, can become great."
-Mark Twain

Please check out:
My YouTube Channel
My Ultimate-Guitar Profile

AprilSeven
Silent Song

Postby AprilSeven » 10 years ago

What an idiot!!! I hope he at least apologized to you.

They sound DELICIOUS! I would have taken at least one pack of three!

I know how that is . . . when I was a waitress and had all this end-of-shift clean-up work to do, there would always be someone who would come in and UNDO all my effort. And they usually didn't leave a tip, either. :d oh: :mad:

I feel for ya. You JUST KNOW one of these days, the "favor" will be returned to him. I just hope at that moment he thinks back and feels :blush:
Image Sig artwork by Alittleacorn!

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

Oh god that reminds me of the last day that I worked in tech support for AT&T (worst company EVER).

This one lady had just bought the iPhone 3 when they first came out a few years ago, and also during that time iPhone insurance was JUST created. It was company policy to offer the insurance in store to customers buying the new phone but naturally this woman did not sign up for it then and proceeded to go home.

Two days later she called in to customer care and got transferred to me saying that she wanted to go ahead and get the insurance on her phone. I myself did not have the ability to do that and my only job for that request was to just make sure that her phone was turned on and could receive text messages before transferring her out to the insurance provider.

When I was going through the motions of doing just that it became clear to me that her phone was not receiving the messages, and being in tech support I immediately drew the conclusion that there was something wrong with her phone setup. I began to troubleshoot that and after nearly an hour of exploring possibilities the woman broke down and admitted that her phone was turned off.

I was extremely frustrated by this point in time, she was non talkative throughout the entire call limiting her responses to 'yeah' and 'no' for everything and refusing to engage in any sort of small talk, so naturally I wanted to punch something. However being professional I simply asked her if she could turn her phone on.

Her response shocked me so much I almost just hung up on her, a big no no.

She admitted that she her phone would NEVER turn on as she had DROPPED her brand new metal-lined plasma screen TV on it during a wall mounting, destroying both electronics in just a couple seconds.

... ... ... I had just spent over an hour troubleshooting a phone that was broken, and our policy then was that our calls should never exceed that of 20 minutes.

Keeping my temper in check I informed the lady that she could not get the iPhone insurance then because if she did it would be insurance fraud.

She hung up on me instantly then and right after that my boss tapped me on the shoulder and ordered me to speak with him. He then proceeded to reprimand me on how long the call took and furthermore that we were not allowed to tell our customers that they were about to commit a crime even if they were!

This was the last straw in combination to several other issues that pushed me to quit right then.

97% of customers are just fine and wonderful to work with... then you get those 3% that just make your life frustrating.
Last edited by Earthshine on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grammar

Fuzzy Pickles!
Rocket Ball Champion

What happened to the video game industry?

Postby Fuzzy Pickles! » 10 years ago

As someone that has been gaming for over fifteen years, gaming is a passion of mine. I grew up on video games as a child, started when I was four and played them every day when I could. Video games are a big reason why I am the person I am today. Without it, I would not be part of this forum (I became interested in Mighty Atom because I was a huge fan of Mega Man and was curious about Mega Man's influence) and would not have any interest in Japan. Naturally, video games is a medium that I have a huge attachment towards. When I was younger, I even wanted to work in the video game industry (particularly for Nintendo because of how much I love them). Unfortunately, today video game industry is turning into garbage and is killing my interest in modern video games.

I once thought of the video game industry as a near-perfect industry. Innovative games came out all the time, great games were frequently made, games were completed (at least the good ones) and gamers did not have to worry about getting screwed over by companies with a lust for money by buying a game. If there was DLC, it gave gamers more of what they loved out of a game and priced reasonably at that, not to mention were created after the game was finished. It was once about gamers enjoying the product and a medium filled with passion (barring shovelware games of course, but we're not talking about those). July 18, 2011, however, forever changed my perspective on the video game industry.

As a huge fan of Mega Man, I was highly anticipated that game. It was one of my most wanted titles and it was going to be the game I would buy a Nintendo 3DS for. During that time, I looked up to Capcom highly and never though of the possibility of a cancellation of such an anticipated title. This was a game practically made by the fans, for the fans. It was very promising and I knew that a great game was coming out

...until it got cancelled of course. That cancellation angered me so much. It felt like a stab in the back, a betrayal, a middle finger given by a company. I could not understand why Capcom of all things would do such a thing. Capcom were known for having the pulse of the fan base and what they did was infuriate a large and dedicated fan base and seemingly not even care about it. That proved to be a huge wake-up call for me and when I found out, I realized that the video game industry was heading towards a train-wreck.

DLC, as said before, is a brilliant concept, additional content created and added after the game is completed. Sadly, last generation have completed ruined DLC. The usage of DLC has been abused so badly that it has reached a point where most usage of DLC is intended to line the executive's pockets. This means that DLC has been used to overprice contents that should be in the game like costumes (that should be unlockables in the game). With many games, DLC is announced before the game is released and this usually means on-disc DLC; DLC that has been made before the game was released. And what's worse, these DLC take away contents from the game and force consumers to pay more for the game to get the "complete" experience. What happened to getting the complete game on launch? Is it such an obtuse idea to give your customers the full experience nowadays?

Oh and it doesn't stop there. Micro-transaction is also taking over the video game world. Micro-transaction, like DLC, also appears harmless in content as it allows for consumers to more easily progress through the game if they don't have the time to go through a 100+ hour game and have the money to spend. Yet I have never seen a case outside of free or $1 games where micro-transaction has been put to good use. Every time micro-transaction is announced to be in use, it is either useless, or worse, negatively affects the game. While Forza 5 is an obvious case of this (the game was built about encouraging players to buy (NOT)micro-transaction and advertising in-game), one that particularly burned me was when Gran Turismo 6 was announced to have micro-transaction. Many people claimed that the micro-transaction didn't affect the game, that Gran Turismo 6 was still going to be the same game as it would be without micro-transaction. Yet when I looked into it more deeply, Gran Turismo 6 was negatively affected by micro-transaction, more subtly so, but it was still not the same game with the usage of micro-transaction. Gran Turismo 6 increased the grind of the game unnecessarily. As someone who dearly loved the Gran Turismo franchise (was once of my favorite), this devastated me and killed my interest for future titles. I fear to see the franchise go deeper into the usage of micro-transaction once GT7 comes out with it.

Probably the worst trend in gaming industry is the increasing usage of intrusive DRMs in games. DRM is Digital Rights Management, which is what companies use to control copyrights to what they own. Microsoft decided to go full-on with intrusive DRMs with their original policies of the Xbox One. If you've seen them, they are horrifying. Consoles must go online every twenty-four hours in order to play any games and failure to do so result in no access to games. In other words, gamers can't play games without online connection after twenty-four hours. It also restricts used games, even though that the company has already made profit off of used games, so I don't see the point in trying to kill it. Even though Microsoft reversed those horrible policies, it was clearly done to keep sales in. I guarantee that these policies will return. How Microsoft will do it is unknown, but I know that I will never be giving them a single penny again. Companies who attempt to screw over the gaming world in the name of money don't deserve my support and no one else should buy from them.

It's easy to see why these problems (and others including abuse of employees, but that one is worthy of a separate rant:sick :) are rampant within the gaming world. One of those reasons is of course greed. I understand that a company has to make money in order to thrive and I do like when a good company earns money for working towards giving the best products towards their customers. Where I cross the line is where greed negatively affects what's around it and the video game industry might as well be the poster child for it. Greed has played a large part in destroying the integrity of the video game industry and it will only further decay the video game industry as time goes on.

Another is because too many gamers let the companies stomp all around them and screw them over. Not enough gamers put up a stand against any and all bad DLC practices. What's even worse, many gamers will even claim that bad practices are a good thing or that gamers should be forced to accept this. Big companies realize that ultimately, they are in to make money and they will find ways that makes them money. When gamers tolerate or support bad practices, these companies will continue to increase their use of such bad practices. The bottom line of companies such as Microsoft, Activision, EA and Capcom is to make money and if they see that consumers will accept whatever limitations is thrown at them, why stop doing them? Conditioning gamers to accept bad practices is easier to do than bringing in new innovations towards the gaming industry (or gamers fighting for a better future, which is a lot harder than people think). I guess many gamers today are more concern about Sony vs. Microsoft console wars than the direction today's industry is going.

I wish more companies were like Nintendo. They have remained my favorite companies ever since I started gaming for not only making me a gamer, but also creating some of the best games ever made every generation. As critical as I have been of the Wii U (very poor third-party support, hardware being a generation behind, not enough first-party games, obvious online functions missing), I still bought one (and will be getting a 3DS) because I love Nintendo with a fiery passion and being able to get a game, knowing its great and complete, is a refreshing escape from the problems of the video game universe (got Pikmin 3, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker and The Wonderful 101; the former is a must-have for any Wii U owners). By no means are Nintendo close to perfect (anyone who knows Nintendo's history in extension would know that), but they are definitely the best example for a major video game company out there and why I continue to champion them to this day.

It really pains me to see the video game industry going in the direction it's in today. Thinking about the issues with video games depresses me. I am tired of having to worry about if a game is using bad practices. I am tired of fanboys defending these horrible practices and allowing companies to continue and even introduce bad practices. I am tired of being screwed over on such a consistent basis (or having to skip a game because of having bad tactics). Most of all, I am tired of the video game industry forgetting what made it so special and I am tired of having to ask myself how much I am willing to give up for a game. I simply don't have the time or desire to fight for a better industry.

Which is why I keep asking myself why I bother following this game industry. I mean, it's not going to get any better anytime soon unless a crash happens. Bad tactics introduced during last generation are going to get worse and they are likely going to kill what remaining integrity the video game industry have left. Plus when the games already out have the potential to keep me satisfied for the rest of my life, then what exactly is the point in putting up with an increasingly corrupted industry? At this point, I don't see myself following the industry after this generation. Once the Wii U and 3DS croak, then I am likely done. I have had it with all the garbage that the video game industry has put out in recent years.
Last edited by Fuzzy Pickles! on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “General Discussion”