What's the best cartoon you've ever seen?

Off topic discussion.
Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 10 years ago

Exactly.

Anyway, back on topic (for real this time lol).
I think the people who made Kells are currently working on a movie in the same style, but I don't know if they've put out anything since...

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

That must be it... I remember hearing about some sort of project though I can't remember from where. It might have been news from a film festival or something.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

I remember seeing a Tumblr post about it. I'll have to try to find again.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 10 years ago

Tailz has been suspended at least for some time as a result of her posts in this topic (the final decision is yet to come); but I do have to say that it was not the first time posts from her were problematic. If anyone has anything they want to discuss about this, my door is open, just send me a PM, but please remain on the original topic here. :) Tailz can't reply anymore anyway.

I know you two (SOPikaMeowMeow and Earthshine) have already come back on topic, but I thought I'd say so for those who will read the topic later. :)

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Thanks, Astro Forever!

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 10 years ago

I don't think there's any need to suspend anyone, actually. :) But that's just my opinion.
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 10 years ago

"Kuo-Yi" wrote:I don't think there's any need to suspend anyone, actually. :) But that's just my opinion.

As Astro Forever said, this was not the first time Tailz had made problematic posts on this forum. The particular instance in this thread wasn't the only reason that led to her suspension. PM one of the mods or admins if you want to discuss the matter further.

Back on topic, the Secret of Kells sounds interesting! The concept is very unique. I'll have to watch it sometime. :)
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

How long will she be suspended? :(
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Windswept Cloak
Banned

"SOPikaMeowMeow" wrote:I was never trying to get you to like cartoons. I was simply saying that in reality anime are just cartoons. Just because they are made in Japan doesn't magically exclude them from being cartoons. Are French cartoons not cartoons because they're French? Are Chinese cartoons not cartoons because they're Chinese? No. The same goes for every other country in the world, including Japan.
Also, many of the points you use to degrade cartoons can easily be thrown right back at anime. You would not believe the amount of stupid, obnoxious, and extremely innapropriate animes I have seen. I'll use Don Dracula as an example. The humor in DD was a huge turn off for me because the majority of it was poop jokes (the teacher pooped in Dracula's casket. Eew. No.) and Dracula sniffing out hot chicks (kind of reminds me of that dumb show Johnny Bravo, but even that wasn't force feeding me toilet humor every five seconds). Hilarious. Completely appropriate for children.
Also, there's far more innapropriate animes than cartoons. *cough yaoi, yuri, hentai cough* Also, have you seen Crayon Shin Chan? It's one of the longest running and post popular children's shows in Japan, and if you think American cartoons are more innapropriate than Japanese children's shows you're sadly mistaken. This show was deemed too innapropriate for children's audiences in America and instead was aired on Adult Swim (with some swears added in to make it look like an adult show). Sailor Moon sexualized 14 year old girls (I understand legal age in Japan is 13, but that's like sexualizing a 19 year old because legal age is 18. It's still creepy.) Also, I don't remember any middle finger jokes in Adventure Time (which is rated PG) so I'm pretty sure your friend is mistaken. Regular show can be a bit extreme at times, but there's really nothing that can't be found in anime as well.

It really just boils down to personal preference. You don't have to like cartoons, but it doesn't mean that every anime is superior to every cartoon. In fact many reasons you listed are exactly why most people don't watch anime.

Sexual stuff and bad artwork or a weak plot is one of the reasons why I'm more into anime like Tezuka, Studio Ghibli, Shinkai Makoto and such compared to the anime that most people like nowadays. (Narute, Bleach, etc. You know the ones I mean, I've said this a dozen times already. :) )

For example, there's an anime called Ore no Imouto the the only reason I read the original novel version is that I'm quite fond of the minor characters, like Kanata Kurusu the otaku girl, and Kuro Neko / Gokou Ruri. I can't stand the over sexualization of the protagonist in that series. :eek:

I'm not that fond of yuri or major hentai either, but as some of you know, I don't mind semi-minor yaoi. Or at least, when it comes to "a few certain Tezuka characters", I honestly don't mind. I think you know what I'm talking about. :whistling:

Not all anime is sexual though, as most of you already know. :)

Studio Ghibli is 100% clean and Tezuka is definetely good enough! :D

I like "anime" better, but I won't turn down the classic cartoons. I even have the comic book versions of The Adventures of Tintin. Now that's a very old comic, it showed up back in the 1920s or 1930s or something! In one episode Tintin even went to China, which I found interesting since I'm Taiwanese. ;)

Overall I still prefer the Japanese stuff though WAY MORE though. And I can't really stick most of the stuff on Cartoon Network they have nowadays. No offense, but I do find most of the new cartoons - most of them, not all of them, mind you - either very silly or too random. I never really liked Spongebob or Adventure Time, but no offense to fans of course. I just thought those a little silly.

Back to the subject. When it comes to "Western cartoons", I actually prefer the European ones to most of the American ones (though I do like classic American cartoons like Charlie Brown and such). How come nobody's mentioned Peter Rabbit? :confused:
Last edited by Windswept Cloak on Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Windswept Cloak
Banned

"Earthshine" wrote:I loved Kells! Didn't the same person that made that movie make another animated feature last year? What was it called again?

Sounds interesting, what's that? :)

Return to “General Discussion”