Non-Manga Comicbooks

Off topic discussion.
Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

I know Hetalia is not a 'comicbook'. We were discussing fans of Hetalia having the same reputation as HomeStuck fans, if you read the post clearly. :)

Teen Titans by DC comics has been in production since at least the 1970s. I think it unofficially debuted in the 1960s. The show Teen Titans was created in 2003 but by then the actual comics had been in production for a loooong time and the characters had flipped around. By that time the actual Teen Titans comics had completely different characters as the main heroes (and a completely different Robin).

The 2003 animation took on the most iconic and popular characters from the Teen Titans comics from the 1980s.

DC Comics has a looong history going way back to the 1930s.

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

Um yeah, sorry about that. I didn't read the posts from before real good. :blush:

Ah! That's really cool. I wonder what the characters look like in the DC comics version. (Only seen them in the TV animated series.) They do still make Teen titans cartoons, but now they look weird. (By weird I mean short and tiny like chibi styled.)

Wow. DC has been around since the 1930s. That's a long run for a comic industry.
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

Earthshine

Ah, the chibi style is for the show called Teen Titans Go! It has some mixed reviews.

On one hand the writers slip in some hilarious references to the actual comics that tickle the fans and on the other hand it pulls away from what really made the Teen Titan's animation so good. It's random and weird. A lot of fans of the DCAU (DC animated universe) have some bitterness with it because it replaced Young Justice.

As for what the characters looked like in the original show versus how they looked in the comics; their main designs are for the most part identical. There were a couple changes; such as cleaning up Starfire to look more innocent and more girlish than like the woman she was in the comics, and originally she was very scantily dressed and 'busty' with wild curly hair.

This is roughly how she has looked all throughout her comic book life though there have been differences.

and her more classic design.

Starfire was the most dramatically altered, the others (Robin, Beast Boy, Cyborg and Raven) were for the most part unchanged except for some wardrobe variations.

Also as a fun fact the comics had Speedy, Wondergirl and Kid Flash as part of their team on a regular basis with other young heroes joining in as cameos. Also Beast Boy's other hero name is Changeling.

The Teen Titans as a comic book has had a long history and before DC's reboot for the New 52 had a wild ride with a lot of young heroes coming and going. I am most fond of the Teen Titans story arcs that were post the Dick Grayson Robin days (the team that the animation focused on). My favorite Teen Titans team is the one with Robin (Tim Drake), Superboy, Impulse and Wondergirl - popularized in the 1990s up to 2011.
Last edited by Earthshine on Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: grammar and spelling

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote:Ah, the chibi style is for the show called Teen Titans Go! It has some mixed reviews.

On one hand the writers slip in some hilarious references to the actual comics that tickle the fans and on the other hand it pulls away from what really made the Teen Titan's animation so good. It's random and weird. A lot of fans of the DCAU (DC animated universe) have some bitterness with it because it replaced Young Justice.

As for what the characters looked like in the original show versus how they looked in the comics; their main designs are for the most part identical. There were a couple changes; such as cleaning up Starfire to look more innocent and more girlish than like the woman she was in the comics, and originally she was very scantily dressed and 'busty' with wild curly hair.

This is roughly how she has looked all throughout her comic book life though there have been differences.

and her more classic design.

Starfire was the most dramatically altered, the others (Robin, Beast Boy, Cyborg and Raven) were for the most part unchanged except for some wardrobe variations.

Also as a fun fact the comics had Speedy, Wondergirl and Kid Flash as part of their team on a regular basis with other young heroes joining in as cameos. Also Beast Boy's other hero name is Changeling.

The Teen Titans as a comic book has had a long history and before DC's reboot for the New 52 had a wild ride with a lot of young heroes coming and going. I am most fond of the Teen Titans story arcs that were post the Dick Grayson Robin days (the team that the animation focused on). My favorite Teen Titans team is the one with Robin (Tim Drake), Superboy, Impulse and Wondergirl - popularized in the 1990s up to 2011.

Ah yes, I will admit that I am intrigued to read the original Teen Titans comic series from the 80s, but when I'll get around to that is beyond me.

Also, if you have nay interest in the Teen Titans comic series, than I would highly recommend checking out Linkara's video seriesMarch of the Titans. He gives a very detailed overview of the franchise's history, and even reviews his favourite era of the team in a two part video.

Earthshine

Reading the back issues can be a daunting task and hard to do as the issues are often in bad condition and are rare (unless you get the hardcover copies where they bundled the issues together). However now I believe you can just buy the digital copies for just pennies (not sure though, I just got buy the hard copies).

I think I may check out his videos sometime. I am a pretty hardcore Batman/Teen Titan fan. Then again more or less any DC comic.

Truth be told my roots as a 'nerd' begin with DC comics and not with anime or manga. I kind of started with American comics and decided to one day check out manga and then anime, but I've never left my love for comics. There have been times though admittedly where I purge manga and anime... though never for long. :)

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 10 years ago

Some 30+ years ago, I was big-time into Marvel comics; so much so, that I had many subscriptions at the local comics shop. Every week, I would pick up my share of them that the guys reserved for me. I rapidly filled three boxes (that are solely intended to hold comics). Well buying back issues also helped. :lol: I was addicted. It was difficult to break the addiction. Now, I watch COMIC BOOK GUYS (comes on after TALKING DEAD), & that is as close as I come to them, these days. I had AMAZING SPIDEREMAN 252, & if I had thought it through, I would have bought a ton of those! :cry:

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

I used to read many comic books when I was little. But ever since I discovered more anime other than just sailor moon and pokemon, I slowly lost interest in comics and western animation.

Though once in a while, I take a look back at my childhood and re visit it. (Like watching dexter's laboratory on netflix when I have nothing else better to do for example.)
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

Earthshine

"jeffbert" wrote:Some 30+ years ago, I was big-time into Marvel comics; so much so, that I had many subscriptions at the local comics shop. Every week, I would pick up my share of them that the guys reserved for me. I rapidly filled three boxes (that are solely intended to hold comics). Well buying back issues also helped. :lol: I was addicted. It was difficult to break the addiction. Now, I watch COMIC BOOK GUYS (comes on after TALKING DEAD), & that is as close as I come to them, these days. I had AMAZING SPIDEREMAN 252, & if I had thought it through, I would have bought a ton of those! :cry:

:lol: This reminded me of my mother when she was younger (in the 60s). She had a pretty hardcore addiction to comics back then too but she actually had a program with her comic book store where she could resell and trade in her comics for the next issue so she never had a huge collection. She just traded in the last issue for the new issue (plus some pennies) and kept that up for years until she just outgrew them (or the store stopped doing that).

For me though we didn't have such a program so like you I filled box upon box of comics (and Ninteno Power magazines from the 1990s, with comics in them!). It's really quite out of hand... I have something like 10 Avon boxes crammed with old comics stuffed in my closet. On my bookshelf though I have the hardcover versions of some of my favorite arcs (as well as manga).

It's moments like this when I am more open to the idea of digital books... it means more space.
Last edited by Earthshine on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

Some of those old comics could be worth some money today.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Earthshine

My mother doesn't have ANY of her older comics unfortunately. She's actually from Cincinnati OH and when she married my 'father' she moved all the way here to Washington leaving pretty much everything she owned behind.

As for my comic collections, most of the comics I own are from the late 1980s as hand-me-downs from my older brother, and from the 1990s from my own endeavors. I don't think they are particularly worth much (except maybe the 1993 issue of Superman's death by Doomsday, still have the RIP armband and everything in the issue pack).

I WISH I had some of the older issues though.

Return to “General Discussion”