Non-Manga Comicbooks

Off topic discussion.
Earthshine

Non-Manga Comicbooks

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

Since we have a thread dedicated to cartoons (as defined as not being anime) why not have a thread dedicated to just discussing comics? Also it appears that approximately 30% of my posts will have something to do with Batman in the forum anyway so here we go.

In this thread let us discuss comics that are not Asian in origin (so not manga or 'manwa' or the Chinese equivalent). Instead this thread should cover comics that are "Western" but not limited to just American comics. Europe has a strong comic standing and even Russia.

Also keep in mind to TRY not to turn the conversation into which comic form is better (IE Manga is so much better than Western comics because of ____ ) as is common on forums. We don't want this to turn into an argument.

The later has happened too many times in the past on some other forums I've frequented and believe me, it's not pretty and there is never a 'winner'. Feel free to admit that you like one better than the other, but please don't say one overall is superior as a fact.

And as always, have fun and maybe even discover something new to enjoy. :)

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 10 years ago

Does HomeStuck count? Technically it's a web comic, although a bit weird.
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Prettywitchiusaka
Robot President

Postby Prettywitchiusaka » 10 years ago

Well if you're going to ask about we comics, AnimeGirl, I might as well ask if The Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi and Grim Tales count as well?

Funny enough, I don't read many comics outside of manga (which is strange given my knowledge of comic books from sources like Geekvolution and Linkara). I really like Watchmen though. And the only main comic I read that isn't manga related is W.i.t.c.h..

I haven't read it very recently, but much like Powerpuff Girls, it's something that has a very special place in my heart. Something I've been reading since I was only twelve, and something that still gives me that same feeling of excitement when I first read it in 2004, as if I was just discovering it for the first time.

Earthshine

... Okay... I think that when the site was down it ATE my last post describing what counts and what doesn't... Which I find really really annoying because I took a lot of care to cover everything and it took a long time to write.

Sigh.

Okay here we go.

Let's define a 'manga' as a comic created in the three manga powerhouses (China, Korea and Japan) FOR citizens of those nations first and foremost. The art is distinct, the format is distinct and almost anyone picking one up will be able to define it as a manga. This does not mean that it is restricted to a physical format, it can be a webcomic as well and still be a 'manga'.

Now let's talk about non-manga comics. This obviously would be comics that are not manga; they were created elsewhere in world from the manga powerhouses and have a style that is distinctly NOT manga-esque. They are often in full color but that's not the rule.

Bizenghast was a graphic novel by M. Alice LeGrow published under Tokyo Pop - this is not a manga despite that it was published under a manga company. It's a graphic novel.

Okko is a comic that takes place in Japan with a lot of Japanese influence, created in France. This is not a manga.

Fables is a very popular comic series that had a HUGE fanbase within the manga community, but it still is not a manga.

It doesn't matter if it is a webcomic, fan comic, or a tangible comic. Just so long as it's not readily identifiable as being a manga.

I don't know much about HomeStuck, but I've heard some really bad things about it admittedly and its creator, but it's not a manga. As for Powerpuff Grils and Grim Tales I'm sure they are not manga (if they are what I'm thinking about).

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

"Earthshine" wrote:I don't know much about HomeStuck, but I've heard some really bad things about it admittedly and its creator, but it's not a manga.

-_- Yup there's that. Well I can understand if people don't like it, it's very confusing and pretty long. Some people don't have the patience for it, although it should be noted since I haven't gotten to the troll characters yet, with them I kinda cheat a little through fanart, fanfics, fanvids, wikis and ask accounts and stuff to at least know their personalities and stuff. Anyways, if you like Homestuck, that's cool, I have another friend who likes Homestuck. If not, that's fine too, though I might feel lonely in my fandom. If you badmouth fans of Homestuck however, crap gets real because I take huge offense to fandom stereotypes!

As a safety note if you do wanna check out HomeStuck, be careful because sometimes there's swears in it and stuff, that's especially true for the character Gamzee who says the F word alot. I know there's alot of younger people in the forum, so I don't want anyone to get in trouble or something.
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

Earthshine

I won't get into everything that I've heard about HomeStuck and from what little I've seen as it's just not the proper place to do so. As for the fans most that I have met are pleasant enough but I've heard nightmare stories about some others though. It's sort of like the stereotypes of the Hetalia fans (yikes).

From what little I've seen of HomeStuck it's not my cup of tea.

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

That's fine. I just don't take well to people who judge other fandoms. I'm a fan of Hetalia, Sailor Moon, HomeStuck, YuGiOh/YuGiOh Abridged, so I can be expected to be judged for what I like. I mean if you don't like something that's one thing, but no one should hate people who are fans of it! Okay I'll admit us HomeStucks and Hetalians are a bit crazy at times, but if you get to know them, some of them are actually pretty nice. It's just complicated. I've always been bullied at school for what I like, so I'm sorry if I seem defensive, although I probably am.

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

Hm... It seems like my last post was deleted since the site had a 404 error on it. Anyways, when I was a kid, I used to read the sonic the hedgehog comics. Anyone remember those? They first started back in the early 90s, they still make sonic comics today actually! (Though, I don't read them anymore. The last time I read them was when we went to free comic book day at lightspeed hobbies. That was like 4 years ago! Maybe even more than that! :lol: ) Anyways, yeah! Those comics were great! I also used to read owly, if anyone remembers those comic gems. :) ! Man, I read those, even though all it was was just pictures! :lol: I even remember reading Archie comics when I was in the 5th grade. I think I still have that Archie comic that I borrowed and never returned to my 5th grade teacher since I forgot all about it. Though, I think I threw it away when we moved. I also really enjoyed teen titans! (I know they had some comics of them from Tokyopop. Though, it's not even a japanese manga.) I remember when they used to show Teen titans on kids wb. (Ah, the good ol days. lol. Used to watch pokemon there too.)

Anyways, yeah. Those were the comics I used to read as a kid. (That's pretty much about it.)
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

Earthshine

My partner is a huge Sonic fan, they have almost every last Archie comic ever produced... it's insane and it's taken over several shelves. Although I'm not a fan of Archie it's defiantly an iconic comic and character. Archie also has been making Megaman into a comic as well as of 2011.

I remember the Teen Titans (show) comics as well. That was a LONG time ago, wow! I totally forgot about it (although the actual Teen Titans comics published by DC are something completely different, I have those and love them dearly).

I don't like people judging people because of any defining characteristic period. People shouldn't do that. If they are going to judge someone it should be based on the person's conduct, not on who they are and what they like. Even though I can't stand something that does not mean I'm going to judge someone negatively for liking it.

Hetalians... lol. I've never heard of that term.

tailz
Banned

Postby tailz » 10 years ago

Hmm... Last time I checked, Hetalia isn't a comic book. Anyways, That is insane! A whole shelf filled with sonic comics. O_o. And yeah, I heard of that Megaman comic. I saw it a long time ago on the back of a comic cover. It looked pretty cool. :cool:

I never knew they made Teen Titans DC comics. (That's something new I just learned today. :D !) Were they made before the cartoons were?

Hetalia is an anime/manga, not a comic book. There's a difference. I never bothered watching that show cause I thought it was just pointless to me. Each episode is only like 5 min. long! (That's what bugs me about it.-_-...) I sure hope I'm not offending anyone here. That show just dosen't agree with me at all.
Hello! If you wish to speak with me on other sites then Follow me on these sites below:

http://my.desktopnexus.com/tailz/

http://www.aimini.net/look/?pid=d24TGUDedhOYX1QAcgzS

http://nanonanopudding.deviantart.com/

Keep in mind that I do Not own theses sites. These sites belong to their rightful owners. Thank you. :)

My fansite:http://blackjackpudding.webs.com/apps/profile/84233730/

[sigpic][/sigpic]

I love 初音ミク :heart:

Return to “General Discussion”