The Random Facts Thread

Off topic discussion.
jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 8 years ago

"Shiyonasan" wrote:[QUOTE=jeffbert;238809]The longest name for a person is likely to be "Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern- schplenden- schlitter- crasscrenbon- fried- digger- dingle- dangle- dongle- dungle- burstein- von- knacker- thrasher- apple- banger- horowitz- ticolensic- grander- knotty- spelltinkle- grandlich- grumblemeyer- spelterwasser- kurstlich- himbleeisen- bahnwagen- gutenabend- bitte- ein- nürnburger- bratwustle- gerspurten- mitz- weimache- luber- hundsfut- gumberaber- shönedanker- kalbsfleisch- mittler- aucher von Hautkopft"; though he is a fictional character featured in MPFC episode #6
:lol:

On the actual side, I have never used an umbrella as anything other than a parachute, when jumping off the porch.

Actually, the longest name for a person is:

click for spoilerAdolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfe*schlegel*stein*hausen*berger*dorff*welche*vor*altern*waren*gewissen*haft*schafers*wessen*schafe*waren*wohl*gepflege*und*sorg*faltig*keit*be*schutzen*vor*an*greifen*durch*ihr*raub*gierig*feinde*welche*vor*altern*zwolf*hundert*tausend*jah*res*voran*die*er*scheinen*von*der*erste*erde*mensch*der*raum*schiff*genacht*mit*tung*stein*und*sieben*iridium*elek*trisch*motors*ge*brauch*licht*als*sein*ur*sprung*von*kraft*ge*start*sein*lange*fahrt*hin*zwischen*stern*artig*raum*auf*der*suchen*nach*bar*schaft*der*stern*welche*ge*habt*be*wohn*bar*planeten*kreise*drehen*sich*und*wo*hin*der*neue*rasse*von*ver*stand*ig*mensch*lich*keit*konnte*fort*pflanzen*und*sicher*freuen*an*lebens*lang*lich*freude*und*ru*he*mit*nicht*ein*furcht*vor*an*greifen*vor*anderer*intelligent*ge*schopfs*von*hin*zwischen*stern*art*ig*raum, Senior.

(There are supposed to be no asterisks in the "Wolfe" part of the name.)

Coincidentally, his name is 666 letters long.

Here's the Wikipedia article on him:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Blaine_Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff,_Sr.[/QUOTE]

:D When I was a kid, my mother only called me by my full name when angry with me. Imagine this guy's mom seeing him throwing mud at another kid: "Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfe*schlegel*stein*hausen*berger*dorff*welche*vor*altern*waren*gewissen*haft*schafers*wessen*schafe*waren*wohl*gepflege*und*sorg*faltig*keit*be*schutzen*vor*an*greifen*durch*ihr*raub*gierig*feinde*welche*vor*altern*zwolf*hundert*tausend*jah*res*voran*die*er*scheinen*von*der*erste*erde*mensch*der*raum*schiff*genacht*mit*tung*stein*und*sieben*iridium*elek*trisch*motors*ge*brauch*licht*als*sein*ur*sprung*von*kraft*ge*start*sein*lange*fahrt*hin*zwischen*stern*artig*raum*auf*der*suchen*nach*bar*schaft*der*stern*welche*ge*habt*be*wohn*bar*planeten*kreise*drehen*sich*und*wo*hin*der*neue*rasse*von*ver*stand*ig*mensch*lich*keit*konnte*fort*pflanzen*und*sicher*freuen*an*lebens*lang*lich*freude*und*ru*he*mit*nicht*ein*furcht*vor*an*greifen*vor*anderer*intelligent*ge*schopfs*von*hin*zwischen*stern*art*ig*raum, Senior, [pauses to catch her breath] you better not throw that mudball; get in this house." :hyo: Or perhaps, "666, derer*intelligent*ge*schopfs*von*hin*zwischen*stern*art*ig*raum, Senior, you better not throw that mudball; get in this house." :p

Rejoyce
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Rejoyce » 8 years ago

From my fun-fact book:
"Jelly Belly jelly beans were the first jelly beans in outer space when they went up with astronauts in the June 21, 1983, voyage of the space shuttle Challenger."

First? What other jelly beans have been in space? Why jelly beans? What?

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 8 years ago

May 29th is officially "Put a Pillow on Your Fridge Day". Nope, I'm not kidding.

http://www.thefactsite.com/2013/02/put-pillow-on-your-fridge-day.html

Rejoyce
Rocket Ball Champion

"The main library at Indiana University sinks more than an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building."

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 8 years ago

"Rejoyce" wrote:"The main library at Indiana University sinks more than an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building."

Wait, books do weight something? But my kindle has hundreds of books and weights next to nothing :confused:

Engineer kids those days :shifty: :p
Last edited by fafner on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected VERY STUPID typo
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 8 years ago

George Lucas based the Death Star battle scene in the original Star Wars movie on the 1955 film, "The dam busters". Here's a link to a video comparing the scenes from both films.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNdb03Hw18M

Here's another video where someone overlaid the audio track from Star Wars on top of "the dam busters"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NMfBKrdErY&nohtml5=False

and of course the otherway, star wars video with Dam Busters sound track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q47GIgmQWo&ebc=ANyPxKqGLsn2mXEM-_txIQQ-egze0gL8dvIqgYflwmeXQzdFpP2DXzjvjp20fe7qDZjUjWKbGE5Jz96pgqFrNLDmlqllY9cwHA&nohtml5=False
Last edited by Tetsuwan Penguin on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 8 years ago

Colonel Bleep was the first ever color cartoon made for television. It was released from 1957 to 1960.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 8 years ago

Contagious Yawning isn't just in Mammals?

Researchers of the State University of New York have recently discovered that contagious yawning occurs in this specie of birds. Previously, scientists thought only humans, dogs, chimps, and a certain kind of rat had this trait, making budgies the first observed specie of bird to have it.

I was as surprised to read that one experiment was performed by showing them videos! :o hmy:

Just typing this makes me want to yawn! :lol:

Rejoyce
Rocket Ball Champion

"The bark of a redwood tree is fireproof. Fires that occur in a redwood forest take place inside the trees."

CommanderEVE
Beyond the Stars

Postby CommanderEVE » 8 years ago

In 1882 Edison helped form the Edison Electric Illuminating Company of New York, which brought electric light to parts of Manhattan. But progress was slow. Most Americans still lit their homes with gas light and candles for another fifty years. Only in 1925 did half of all homes in the U.S. have electric power.

Return to “General Discussion”