Updating Astroboy-Online

Off topic discussion.
Robin
Rocket Ball Champion

Updating Astroboy-Online

Postby Robin » 10 years ago

Hey guys. Have we considered having a fundraiser so we can update Astroboy-Online?

@System: Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5

Um then this...

@System: Updated vBulletin® Version 5.1.1

If I am not mistaken updating is $200. We could pull that together in a week!

Hell, we are not even on the latest version of 3!

@System: Last vBulletin® Version Update 3.8.7

Just a thought, but it MIGHT just be time to upgrade. We have not had an update in 7 years! I was 8 the last time this site got an overhaul. Just consider it ok?
Last edited by Robin on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 10 years ago

That [I]is[I] an interesting point there. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to this sort of thing but I'll let the other moderators know about this idea, Robin. :)

My whole take on this though if it's not broken then there is no reason to 'fix' it, so far ABO has been functioning quite well as is, but if it may be detrimental to have it how it is now soon in the future so updating may be something that we will consider. Not sure.

Robin
Rocket Ball Champion

I don't see it as "Fixing" I see it as "Upgrading".

Compare it to Astro. Needed upgrades to stay on his top game. So does ABO. Fact is, we are on old, unsecure, 7 year old version of software. Even jumping to VB4 would be a good idea!

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 10 years ago

I haven't personally evaluated the possible security issues with this version of vBulletin, so there is very little I can say about it. However, I know Mark, who owns the domain and created this site and forum, has a very good idea of vBulletin's evolution. He indicated so in a recent past.

I have used the recent version of vBulletin elsewhere. Aside from the possibility of using a mobile version of the site, I haven't noticed anything particular about it.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 10 years ago

Well it would be easier to read on a phone if the site supported dual formating to be mobile aware.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Robin
Rocket Ball Champion

We should still consider upgrading. I use myBB on my forum and I love it.

Astro Forever
Administrator

Postby Astro Forever » 10 years ago

As I said above, I know Mark has given it some thought, but ultimately it's his decision to make, since he owns the domain.

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:Well it would be easier to read on a phone if the site supported dual formating to be mobile aware.

I have tried the mobile version; it's not bad, but there were a few things that bugged me. IIRC, I think I didn't like the navigation in between the subforums, to the point I switched it back to the desktop version. Of course, it may have improve since then, and even if it didn't, perhaps many members here would appreciate it anyway.
Last edited by Astro Forever on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: no idea why there was a surprised smiley in the beginning...

Return to “General Discussion”