Confessions thread

Off topic discussion.
Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:As for coffee, I'll drink that once in a while. I blame the Cuban's for that. When I worked in Miami, the Cuban employees always took a Cuban Coffee break about 3pm. 'Cuban Coffee' is espresso mixed with a slurry of sugar whipped up with the coffee. It needs the sugar to neutralize the bitterness of the espresso. But the smell of it brewing! Like having a Starbucks inside the computer laboratory!

Sugar does make coffee and tea a little more bearable for me, so Cuban coffee would be a little more up my alley then, say, black coffee.

Oh, and the smell of coffee. I love the smell of coffee and coffee beans. It's weird how I like things about coffee but not coffee itself! :lol:

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 9 years ago

Here's another one. I seem to be attracted to guys with glasses. (blush blush blush)
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

diehard67
On a Flight into Space

Postby diehard67 » 9 years ago

I used to love a good thunderstorm, and I didn't mind the rain, that is until I had so much trouble keeping the rain out of my apartment, not I get a ton of anxiety when I see rain in the forecast or hear thunder.

hopefully that will get better when I move.
my public downloads on my home server
my website also on my home server
facebook pm me here if you add me on facebook please.
twitter

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

Here's a confession. I'm a lesbian who is engaged to a non-binary third gender asexual.

I also won't eat pork products or shellfish but I am not Jewish.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 9 years ago

I used to love a good thunderstorm, and I didn't mind the rain,

I love thunderstorms and rain. I find them very relaxing.

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 9 years ago

(1) I used to be totally crazy for Atom - just because he looks cute, a fairly silly reason - and even read non-suitable-for children fics with him in it, usually considering him getting...well......

(Blows up the old me with a bomb)

Anyway, I used to be a creepy pervert, but I think most of you all know.

(Yells at myself in my head)

WHY DID I USED TO BE SO CHILDISH, PERVERTED, BONKERS, AND CRAZY?

I'm glad I've stopped being that that. I'm trying to convince myself it's all part of growing up.

(2) I used to hand in white papers at school on purpose. Very often.

(3) But I don't ship yaoi pairings anymore. Though, I used to ship Dr. BJ and Kiriko. I find that a little silly now though. After all, he has Megumi. And I'm sure Kiriko doesn't like him.

(4) When I was a little girl, about five, once I threw a tantrum on the street just because I was thirsty.

(5) I still get lost at school, but not as often as before.

(6) I failed math this term and it's so bad I can't re-take the test, so I have to take math classes at school this summer.

(7) I find Dr. Black Jack's personality.....well.......let's just say, I like him a lot. I'm not the fangirl type anymore, but one can't help but like him.

My temper is a little bad sometimes and I am a person with a whole lot of personality flaws, to be honest. Though it's true that nobody's perfect, obviously. Even good fictional characters have a couple of personality flaws hard to get rid of! But, I'm trying to learn. The BJ series taught me a lot about life.

(8) When I was little I ate a spoonful, yes, a spoonful of toothpaste to see if it tasted as good as it smelt.

(9) When I was nine I got into big fights with the boys in my classes and I hit one with a swimming-pool floating thing. I don't know what you call those in English.

(10) When I was little I used to mispronounce words much more often, than, let's say, Pinoko did. Like:

"bathtub / badtub"

I'm not saying any more. :)

"Earthshine" wrote:Here's a confession. I'm a lesbian who is engaged to a non-binary third gender asexual.

I also won't eat pork products or shellfish but I am not Jewish.

Good for you! I wish you a happy marriage with your partner. Good luck! ;)

A lot of Taiwanese people still find gays and lesbians odd, sadly. My father does. And most of my stupid classmates see it as some sort of joke. But I don't mind as long as the people are nice. You're very nice, for one thing. And very wise. :)
Last edited by Windswept Cloak on Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

Tetsuwan Penguin
Robot Revolutionary

Postby Tetsuwan Penguin » 9 years ago

OK, this isn't really a confession. More like an outpouring. Like 'Why am I such a Tezuka Anime and Manga nut?"

Like almost everyone else who first saw Astro Boy on TV in the US in 1963, I didn't know the show was made in Japan.
I had an Uncle who worked for the US import arm of Panasonic. Once or twice a year he'd go to Japan on a business trip to meet with the engineers who designed new products. He sometimes brought souvenirs back with him. I think he once brought back some Manga magazines, because I remember seeing one with Astro on the cover. While mostly in Japanese, the cover was clearly labeled "Mighty Atom" in English.

After the show went off the air I didn't ever think about it again for some time. Two things sparked my memory. The first was a program on HBO about the history of the US space program from Mercury to Apollo. They had quite a bit of period music in the background, and there was a song played that I hadn't heard in years. I had to really strain my memory to figure out where I had heard it. "I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive....." OMG, it finally hit me, the ending theme song to Fireball XL5! Suddenly a flood of memories came back about TV shows I hadn't seen since the late 50's and early 60's. Supercar, Fireball-XL5, and of course Astro Boy!

Then there was the day that I saw the 'teaser' coming attractions reel in the movie theater. "In this secret lab a top scientist ....." It didn't take me very long to realize what was going on, HOLY CRAP! They're making an Astro Boy movie! Well why not, EVERY OLD cartoon was being made into a movie, the Flintstones, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Inspector Gadget, etc were already movies.

I discovered that the original 1963 series had been posted up on YouTube by someone called the 'mushroom of doom'. Oh the wonderful nostalgia of being able to see it all again! I also discovered that there had been three other Astroish animes made, two of which were probably on cable but I never saw them. Of course I'm talking about Jetter Mars, and the 1980 and 2003 Astro series. I found them on Hulu and watched every episode.

Then along came Google and I discovered all about Astro's creator. It was wonderful to discover that Osmau Tezuka had created so much more than just Tetsuwan Atom. I discovered the inter-library loan system and was able to borrow a copy of every issue of Blackjack that Vertical published. I've borrowed DVDs from the library for all of the available Tezuka animes that had been 'subed. (Phoenix, Metropolis,etc).

Still that isn't enough. I now have a desire to learn enough of the language to be able to understand and enjoy the anime and manga that hasn't been subbed or dubbed. At my age, that might not be easy though. I'd also like to see the Tezuka museum in Japan, and other interesting sites. Knowing a bit of the language would help in this endeavor as well.

After seeing Robi, and other small humanoid robot 'kits', I'd like to build one. Of course I'd try to make one in Astro's image. 3D printing technology might make this task easier, plus think of all the other cool stuff that can be rapidly designed and printed out! So I've got a 3D printer now about 90% complete, it just needs some wiring cables made up, and software configuration. Was hoping to finish all that this weekend, but it will take a bit longer.

OK, that was a long ramble! I feel better now.
[sigpic][/sigpic]Image

:tenma: I'm on Fanfiction.net as Tetsuwan Penguin. Please check out some of the other stories I've written! ;)
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/4672860/Tetsuwan-Penguin

I can also be found on Deviant Art http://tetsuwanpenguin.deviantart.com/

My home page
http://scharkalvin.weebly.com/about-me.html

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 9 years ago

Oh, I have another one. When I was three I used to take a bite out of my pillow to see if it tasted as good as it felt. It tasted terrible! :D

"Tetsuwan Penguin" wrote:OK, this isn't really a confession. More like an outpouring. Like 'Why am I such a Tezuka Anime and Manga nut?"

Like almost everyone else who first saw Astro Boy on TV in the US in 1963, I didn't know the show was made in Japan.
I had an Uncle who worked for the US import arm of Panasonic. Once or twice a year he'd go to Japan on a business trip to meet with the engineers who designed new products. He sometimes brought souvenirs back with him. I think he once brought back some Manga magazines, because I remember seeing one with Astro on the cover. While mostly in Japanese, the cover was clearly labeled "Mighty Atom" in English.

After the show went off the air I didn't ever think about it again for some time. Two things sparked my memory. The first was a program on HBO about the history of the US space program from Mercury to Apollo. They had quite a bit of period music in the background, and there was a song played that I hadn't heard in years. I had to really strain my memory to figure out where I had heard it. "I wish I was a spaceman, the fastest guy alive....." OMG, it finally hit me, the ending theme song to Fireball XL5! Suddenly a flood of memories came back about TV shows I hadn't seen since the late 50's and early 60's. Supercar, Fireball-XL5, and of course Astro Boy!

Then there was the day that I saw the 'teaser' coming attractions reel in the movie theater. "In this secret lab a top scientist ....." It didn't take me very long to realize what was going on, HOLY CRAP! They're making an Astro Boy movie! Well why not, EVERY OLD cartoon was being made into a movie, the Flintstones, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Inspector Gadget, etc were already movies.

I discovered that the original 1963 series had been posted up on YouTube by someone called the 'mushroom of doom'. Oh the wonderful nostalgia of being able to see it all again! I also discovered that there had been three other Astroish animes made, two of which were probably on cable but I never saw them. Of course I'm talking about Jetter Mars, and the 1980 and 2003 Astro series. I found them on Hulu and watched every episode.

Then along came Google and I discovered all about Astro's creator. It was wonderful to discover that Osmau Tezuka had created so much more than just Tetsuwan Atom. I discovered the inter-library loan system and was able to borrow a copy of every issue of Blackjack that Vertical published. I've borrowed DVDs from the library for all of the available Tezuka animes that had been 'subed. (Phoenix, Metropolis,etc).

Still that isn't enough. I now have a desire to learn enough of the language to be able to understand and enjoy the anime and manga that hasn't been subbed or dubbed. At my age, that might not be easy though. I'd also like to see the Tezuka museum in Japan, and other interesting sites. Knowing a bit of the language would help in this endeavor as well.

After seeing Robi, and other small humanoid robot 'kits', I'd like to build one. Of course I'd try to make one in Astro's image. 3D printing technology might make this task easier, plus think of all the other cool stuff that can be rapidly designed and printed out! So I've got a 3D printer now about 90% complete, it just needs some wiring cables made up, and software configuration. Was hoping to finish all that this weekend, but it will take a bit longer.

OK, that was a long ramble! I feel better now.

The Tezuka fandom is lucky to have great Western fans like you. :) I'm very happy Tezuka isn't only supported here in Asia.

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

Another confession of mine: even though I'm allergic to cats, I prefer cats over dogs. I've got nothing against dogs, but I find dogs to be a bit overbearing at times, especially when I've had to house-sit for people I know.

Dante69
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby Dante69 » 9 years ago

I suffer from depression, but every since I found Astro Boy (and anime, manga, Japanese stuff in general)i have felt so much happier. It's like I finally found what makes me happy. (About time).
Also I kinda like Tetsuwan Atom because it is k a little dark. That's just my preference; I like stories that are a little dark/ deep/ whatever. Oh. Another thing is I still haven't gotten over my...uh... "crush" on Tenma. :blush: :ninja:
I don't like talking to people because I always feel nobody cares about what I say.
Last edited by Dante69 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:tenma: :astro: :o cha: LOL

Return to “General Discussion”