Studio Ghibli Might "Dissolve"?

Off topic discussion.
Earthshine

Studio Ghibli Might "Dissolve"?

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

According to this article the beloved Studio Ghibli might have made its final animation. The article goes into detail that this isn't the first time that murmurings of Ghibli's closure was possible, and that nothing has been 100% confirmed yet.

Windswept Cloak
Banned
Location: Sitting at my desk, surrounded by books and papers.

Postby Windswept Cloak » 9 years ago

Please don't dissolve....
I joined this forum in late 2013 when I was 15 going on 16. Ignore my oldest posts, they embarrass me so much that I've considered permanantly leaving the forum more than once. I've grown out of my fangirling phase over Black Jack, Atom and Uran ages ago but the memories still embarrass me at times... :unsure: Though, I try to be more open-minded about it and accept it as an "interesting stage of my life". :tezuka:

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Postby Shiyonasan » 9 years ago

It looks like according to the following article, they're only considering doing some "housecleaning" to the production department in Studio Ghibli due to Hayao Miyazaki's retirement. I've bolded the part you're probably most interested in reading:

Ghibli Co-Founder Suzuki: Studio Considers Dismantling Production Department

Toshio Suzuki: Ghibli considers "housecleaning" or restructuring after Miyazaki's retirement

Studio Ghibli representative director and co-founder Toshio Suzuki appeared on the TBS television program Jōnetsu Tairiku on Sunday to discuss the studio's future after Hayao Miyazaki's retirement from directing feature films.

Suzuki discussed the great changes that the entire studio is undergoing at the studio's shareholders meeting, and mused that these changes may include dismantling the production department. While there has been talk among some about dissolving the studio outright, Suzuki emphasized that the truth is that the studio is considering "housecleaning" or restructuring for now. The end result would be "rebuilding" the studio and creating an environment for the next generation.

Suzuki did not downplay the significance of Miyazaki's retirement. Still, he added, "On what to do with Studio Ghibli's future, it is by no means impossible to keep producing [movies] forever. However, we will take a brief pause to consider where to go from here."

Miyazaki [...] retired from directing feature films last year. Suzuki [...] himself stepped down from his producer role this year, although he is assuming the new title of "general manager." The studio's latest film, When Marnie Was There from director Hiromasa Yonebayashi, opened at #3 during the July 19-20 weekend with 378,790,697 yen (US$3,721,297) on 461 screens.

[Sources: Anime News Network, Narinari.com]
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dannavy85
Banned

Postby dannavy85 » 9 years ago

Well it can't go on forever you know. Old Hayao is one of the last surviving "old guard" animators from the golden ages.
"You guys have some serious Mommy issues."

Shiyonasan
Administrator

Anime News Network reported today that Miyazaki might make a short film for the Ghibli Museum, so it doesn't look like Miyazaki will completely stop making films:

Ghibli Co-Founder Suzuki: Miyazaki May Make Short Film

AstroBlaster1998
Rocket Ball Champion

Postby AstroBlaster1998 » 9 years ago

What is the old guard?

Shiyonasan
Administrator

"AstroBlaster1998" wrote:What is the old guard?

"Old guard" is a general term for a group of veterans or older, experienced folk in any given profession. In the case of Dannavy85's post, he meant that Miyazaki is one of the last, great animators from the golden age of animation.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 9 years ago

I honestly don't know what to believe when it comes to retiring and whatnot from this company. Miyazaki claimed he was retiring like four times already, and I doubt this studio is going to end anytime soon. It's like Disney. People may retire, but others will take their places.

Juanita
On a Flight into Space

Postby Juanita » 9 years ago

Whatever happened to that Ghibli TV series about the little girl?

Shiyonasan
Administrator

"SOPikaMeowMeow" wrote:Whatever happened to that Ghibli TV series about the little girl?

Are you referring to Sanzoku no Musume Rōnya?

If so, I had forgotten about that series myself. Looks like it began on October 11 and already has had four episodes air.
Last edited by Shiyonasan on Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Discussion”