Robin Williams

Off topic discussion.
Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 9 years ago

I just hope that with his death may come a new awareness of just how serious depression is. It's just like having cancer, if not treated properly, it's fatal.

Strange Wings
Beyond the Stars

Postby Strange Wings » 9 years ago

"Novacain" wrote:I just hope that with his death may come a new awareness of just how serious depression is. It's just like having cancer, if not treated properly, it's fatal.

This is very true!

Just found this quote of him:

Earthshine

Postby Earthshine » 9 years ago

There already, at least on Tumblr, are a lot of depression awareness posts that I hope are making a difference in some people's lives. I'm not entirely sure if it's going to cause a mass social movement to take depression more seriously, as we should, but at least for now I hope some people will take it seriously to get help if they need it.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

Postby jeffbert » 9 years ago

One factor may be the disconnectedness we have with other people because we drive just about everywhere we go. I recall reading something about this, though the emphasis was not on depression, but as I recall, rudeness. In our cars zooming around too fast to even wave at friends with much hope of being recognized, we are isolated. Our ancestors walked or drove wagons or carts rather slowly compared to our rate of travel. They likely knew or were familiar with everyone in the town, or neighborhood. Where I grew up, we walked to the stores. the convenience store, banks, fast food, grocery stores, etc., were just minutes away. The shopping mall was 10 minutes by car, but nearly everything else was close.

As a kid, my dad walked just about everywhere he went, even though he lived on a mountain. My mom lived in a small town, with one school for all grades. I never walked to school.

Novacain
Beyond the Stars

Postby Novacain » 9 years ago

"Strange Wings" wrote:[QUOTE=Novacain;228408]I just hope that with his death may come a new awareness of just how serious depression is. It's just like having cancer, if not treated properly, it's fatal.

This is very true!

Just found this quote of him:
Image[/QUOTE]

Thank-you for sharing this!

fafner
Cosmic Ranger

Postby fafner » 9 years ago

"Earthshine" wrote:There already, at least on Tumblr, are a lot of depression awareness posts that I hope are making a difference in some people's lives. I'm not entirely sure if it's going to cause a mass social movement to take depression more seriously, as we should, but at least for now I hope some people will take it seriously to get help if they need it.

I'm afraid this won't do a lot of difference. There are an awful lot of famous people who commit suicide, and each time everyone goes back to business. Problem is that depression is one of the most serious illness out there, as Strange Wings mentioned, but it is also the most invisible. Robin Williams' suicide was a surprise to most people. Personally I discovered that the clown was sad, as the legend says.

I discovered Robin Williams when watching the Dead Poets Society, although at this time I didn't know the name of the actor. A movie both funny and serious, and sad as well. It had a huge impact on my life, although it took a good decade.
Last edited by fafner on Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The real sign that someone has become a fanatic is that he completely loses his sense of humor about some important facet of his life. When humor goes, it means he's lost his perspective.

Wedge Antilles
Star Wars - Exile

falloutflowers
Kokoro Robot

Postby falloutflowers » 9 years ago

This proves that depression could effect anyone, even one of the most outgoing, hilarious person ever. Robin was a wonderful man and hopefully the general pubic will now see that depression isn't something to forget about. He will be truly missed by many! :cry: :heart:
[FONT="Garamond"]"Humans are lost. Alone, they struggle in the darkness, and hurt themselves in fear. They don't know where they came from, or where they're going."[/FONT]

Anime Girl
On a Flight into Space

Postby Anime Girl » 9 years ago

I'm so sad it happened. As a child, I knew him as the Genie in Aladdin, a grown up Peter Pan in the movie Hook, the professor in Flubber, Mrs. Doubtfire, and in middle school we watch The Dead Poet's Society. He will be missed. I know what it'some to lose someone close from suicide. Many of you know about my two best friends I lost. The sad thing is there was some cool stuff I learned about him recently. One thing I didn't know before was that he was a Whovian, Trekkie, and loved video games. He even named his daughter Zelda! How cool is that? I wish I've got to meet him once. I'd like to have told him how happy he made me, especially as the Genie in Aladdin (my favorite movie as a child). I hope this would act as a wake up call for people to take depression seriously. Unfortunately, I know from experience my freshman year that depression is one of those things people never think about, until one day it's too late and one or two of your friends are gone. Not a day goes by that I don't think of my friends that I lost.
You're not a joke, you fit right in!
So shake it off, and give a grin. Don't be afraid to stand your ground! Crazy, noisy BIZARRE Town!

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I could talk about my own experiences with depression & apparent suicide attempt, but if I do, it will be on the 18+ area on T in E, as I dare not do so here. Here, I will say only that changing my expectations of life made all the difference in the world, and accepting the unfairness of life was a big part of that change. I realize that there are various causes of depression, yet, I hope someone may benefit from this post. Anyone needing to speak privately, please PM me.

jeffbert
Minister of Science

I already started a thread on the 18+ forum that seems the best place to deal with the subject of depression & suicide, titled EUTHANASIA & Dr. Kiriko

Though is does not deal with either suicide or depression directly, anyone who wants me to write of my experiences, just post in that thread, as in it, I already wrote about my childhood sadness.

Return to “General Discussion”